Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Things that disappointed you as a kid.

The clocks going back reminded me of the annual disappointment of that happening when I was a lad. I was always allowed to "play out" until it got dark. Suddenly, in one fell swoop there was a whole hour nicked from my busy leisure schedule!

Other things I remember was when it was a leap year, and my birthday skipped a Saturday or a Sunday, and, Oxford Circus not actually containing a big tent with acrobats and clowns performing.

Anyone else remember anything so "devastating" from their infancy?

Comments

• edited November 2017
    Watching a struggling Charlton side with a shit chairman no funding small crowds going out of cups in early rounds. That was 52 years ago.
  • edited November 2017
    Fireworks
    X-Ray specs from the joke shop
    Evel Kneivel (sp) toy. It would do all kinds of stunts in the adverts. All mine did was either fall on its side and spin around or otherwise get me a clump for chipping the skirting boards.
  • Having to go to school, when I could think of far better things to do
  • School, I disappointed my parents and teachers on a regular basis. But no one was more disappointed with wasting my time going to school than me.
  • I was thinking a bit more light hearted to be honest Johnny and Keston... :lol:
  • I was thinking a bit more light hearted to be honest Johnny and Keston... :lol:

In that case school dinners, they could burn salad.

At my infant school the curry was so bad it took me over 20 years to pluck up the courage to try Indian food. Loved it immediately.
  • Finding out someone I liked smoked. Dunno why but it bothered me.
  • Sponsored links:

• My parents

Getting dark again (early?)...

At my infant school the curry was so bad it took me over 20 years to pluck up the courage to try Indian food. Loved it immediately.
    They would never attempted anything as exotic as curry at my schools. I do remember 7th January 1969 my first day at infant school, they served gypsy tart. Disappointed would be a mild way of describing my feelings.
  • Only thing that ever really used to disappoint me is when I couldnt have something (i.e. Used to see some really cool Lego in the magazines and wanted all of it) - Yet money was really tight when growing up so that wasnt the case

To be honest it made me appreciate Christmas Presents a lot more throughout my life; when I did get lego I'd go absolutely mental yet a good few years later I was given a car for my Birthday and a key ring of the Volkswagen logo (was the make of the car) which I loved a lot more than the former present that was given to me

Ironically I still love Lego (at 34) and look around at some of the adult sets these days and even the kid prices are really expensive and makes me wonder how my parents managed to afford any of it for me at the time
  • My old man dragging me to Charlton v Brentford 1995 season.
  • Kites

Fucking hate Kites... Could never keep it up in the air long enough before it would flop back down!!
  • Stonehenge. Just a bunch of rocks that are not even that big innit...

No idea what I expected tbf.
  • Sponsored links:

• Kites

I'll see your kite and raise you remote control airplanes.

I had a petrol engine one that you controlled by a handle attached to a long wire and flew in circles.

Was so excited when I got and built it but was soon deflated when it came to flying the bloody thing.

The control was so sensitive that you only had to twitch and the poxy thing crashed. Don't think I ever managed more than 2 circles before hitting the ground and disintegrating. It became soul destroying gluing it back together week after week and gave up with it.
  • I only had hand-me-down action men but I got a new SAS frogman suit so took him in the bath with me and his shoulders and, I think, thighs rusted up :unamused:
  • Life and my parents.
  • edited November 2017

Kites

I'll see your kite and raise you remote control airplanes.

I had a petrol engine one that you controlled by a handle attached to a long wire and flew in circles.

Was so excited when I got and built it but was soon deflated when it came to flying the bloody thing.

The control was so sensitive that you only had to twitch and the poxy thing crashed. Don't think I ever managed more than 2 circles before hitting the ground and disintegrating. It became soul destroying gluing it back together week after week and gave up with it.
    Oh do feck off!!

I would have killed for an RC plane or helicopter as a kid.

My dad told me the reason I couldn’t have one is that I wouldn’t be allowed to fly it ‘up the fields’ in Middle Park. Looking back - I think main the reason was that there was no way he was going to spend that much on me