Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Its Public Holiday in most of continental Europe today - Nov 1st

Just thought i'd let you know that.

So, there might be a few more posts from me today in-between downloading podcasts and learning the lingo.

Comments

• Work shy layabouts.

Now wonder so many with a decent work ethic are coming to the UK
  • Addickted said:

Work shy layabouts.

Now wonder so many with a decent work ethic are coming to the UK

I agree mate - too many bloody holidays here for my liking - especially considering i dont get paid for them !

One thing is that they dont move their public holidays like UK (for example, moving 1st May to closest Monday), here its the same date every year.
  • Do you know what the holiday for @The_President?

I don’t remember hearing my euro/Swiss colleagues mentioning it but then I’m on holiday so. It being bothered by them is all good...
  • All Saints day mate.
  • Switzerland i believe arent 'celebrating' it as my boss has also gone to Geneva for this week,One of the few that isnt.
  • Once Brecht happens it will matter less. GSQ
  • All saints day must be linked to yesterday’s All Hallows Eve. Feels like something I once knew and have forgotten.
  • Its certainly a holiday in Lux and surrounding countries, France,Belgium and Germany.
  • I had one of my sons friends over yesterday, we had ‘dressed’ up the house a bit with a spiders web, skeleton, couple of big pumpkins on the gate posts and had loads of trick or treaters, we used 3 large tubs of sweets.

My son and his friend really enjoyed handing scaring the trick or treaters and handing thout sweets out but his friends parents had said they don’t ‘celebrate’ Halloween so can I not take him trick or treating, my son had said the same....

I don’t get it, I’m not celebrating the day of the dead, it’s a bit like Christmas, for most people it’s a bit of fun with a long history that hardly anyone really understands.

Next year I’m gonna twist his arm to get dressed up, have a Halloween party and maybe sacrifice a goat in the garden.
  • Sponsored links:

• And burn an effigy ?!
  • Gotta save that for Guy, Roland’s Out day whoch hopefully will more or less coincide with Guy Fawkes Night.
  • WSSWSS
    edited November 2017

Its certainly a holiday in Lux and surrounding countries, France,Belgium and Germany.

Not all of Germany. Berlin is certainly open for business.

They had a bank holiday yesterday - Martin Luther day.

No, not him.
  • Prods you see.

All Saints - aren't they a girl group?

Perhaps we should have a Bananarama Day to make up for it.
  • My birthday. I went to a RC school. All Saints day is a holy day of obligation which meant that I never had to go to school on my birthday. That soon bloody stopped when I started work
  • Happy birthday JC
  • Happy birthday JC

I thank you.
  • WSS said:

Its certainly a holiday in Lux and surrounding countries, France,Belgium and Germany.

Not all of Germany. Berlin is certainly open for business.

They had a bank holiday yesterday - Martin Luther day.

No, not him.
    Of course, 500 years for the Reformation.
  • All Saints day mate.

I liked them more than the spice girls, never ever was my favourite song. Surprised Europe has a day off in their honour though!!
  • Yes, it's all about the Protestant Reformation and the eventual split from the RC church.
  • Sponsored links:

• Traditionally all holidays were religious, being holy days - and the greatest danger to introduction of Protestantism in England was the efforts by the most determined Protestants to end holy days (though the genius of Elizabeth's religious settlement is that the Church of England is not, strictly speaking, a reformed church in the way that that would be understood more generally, unlike the Calvinist Scottish Established Church).

Catholic forms of worship (if not, necessarily Catholicism itself) remained stubbornly strong in many areas, at least until the Wesleyan revival.
  • All Saints day mate.