Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Loooong drive this weekend...

I have to drive from Lux to Wales and back via Greenwich and Portsmouth in 3 days this weekend - any suggestions in how to deal with a) boredom b) long drive it.

Comments

• I once had to drive from New Orleans to Detroit with only a three hour stop in Cincinnati. While I don't have any tips, I do feel your pain.
  • At least you will have natural breaks in your journey, when crossing the channel. Regular breaks are essential when driving for long hours.
  • Podcasts are the best long journey time waster for me

Seconded. Love The Football Ramble for all things football. @CharltonLive is obviously great. The Guardian's Football Weekly remains strong despite losing James Richardson this year.

I can also give true crime/mystery or "radio drama" or comedy recommendations if you're interested.
  • Just stay away from Flintoff, Savage and the ping pong guy. A load of self indulgent, obsequious crap. Marketed as a Podcast but still broadcast on national radio eating into 5Live Sport's airtime.
    I don't mind Flintoff, I don't mind Savage these days either. I don't know the ping pong guy but together the three of them get me reaching for the sick bag.
  • edited November 2017
    Pub cricket for the sections where your not on a motorway.
    Radio 4 does it for me but it's not to everyone's taste.
    If there are others with you, you can bet on how many cars of different colours you'll see or lorries from different companies. Not much fun on your own though. Come to think of it, not much fun at all, but better than nothing.
  • edited November 2017
    Take proper breaks to eat. Don't eat on the go. I often drive 16 hours to Florida. Meal breaks are important.
  • Stig said:

Pub cricket for the sections where your not on a motorway.
    Radio 4 does it for me but it's not to everyone's taste.
    If there are others with you, you can bet on how many cars of different colours you'll see or lorries from different companies. Not much fun on your own though. Come to think of it, not much fun at all, but better than nothing.

Good idea, but better still, write them down each tiime......I can guarantee you won’t stay bored for fucking long.
  • Sponsored links:

• Think about Billy Bingham and Fences. In fact, think of Billy Bingham putting up a fence up in Razils garden....which Billy Bingham is up to you.
  • Podcasts of Test Match Special
  • Tiredness does kill. When you have to press on, go ultimate on your driving awareness. Mentally imagine you are demonstrating to someone what a good driver you are by explaining what you are doing and what you are aware of. "Checking mirror, red car coming up in fast lane, catching blue car on left, may have slow down, no, red car will be past so will be able to pull out. Etc etc.

It may sound silly, but the advice was given to me by an advanced driving instructor and works for me.

Also would suggest breaking the journey into sensible distances/times and allowing plenty of time for each leg. Depending on traffic I guess you are looking at 5 1/2 hrs to Dover, so a break at Lille for coffee and then lunch on the ferry? Another 6hrs to Wales via M4?. Get round M25 asap and motorway stop on the M4, or turn off at Windsor for a walk. Road works just ahead so best take a break before them. (Start just after Slough).

Take an empty bottle in case you get stuck in traffic and need a pee, red bull, and a flask of Heinz Cream of Tomato Soup.

Good luck and a safe journey.
  • Addickted said:

Podcasts of Test Match Special

Christ, he wants to drive, not fall asleep at the wheel.
  • Get wankered on the ferry
  • Guess my favourite colour.
  • Podcasts. The Football Ramble is good, as mentioned above.

Non-football, the Rugby Pod, and Flats and Shanks are both good rugby podcasts if that would interest you.
  • Sponsored links:

• Make sure your car is really warm, put on some nice soft relaxing music, recline your seat slightly and make sure your seat is comfortable (perhaps a pillow could help).

Comfort is paramount
  • Take Devine Brown with you. Or Hugh Grant if that is your preference.
  • Just worked out via Google maps that the total distance to cover is approx 2500km
  • Get yourself a nice big bag of coke, some ecstasy and a copy of DJ Hype's Jungle Massive.

You could replace the coke with speed but I've never driven a car whilst on speed so can't vouch for it.
  • Just worked out via Google maps that the total distance to cover is approx 2500km

So at an average 50mls per hour, a tad over 31hours driving.

Dangerous in a weekend IMO.
  • Avoid the A27 & A259 if your driving from Portsmouth to Dover, would be quicker going on M3, M25 & M20. It took me over 3 hours to get from Hastings to Portsmouth (90 miles). Worth mentioning though that Southern Trains were on strike and it was the last Friday of the school holidays (1st Sept) so if you do decide to drive that way hopefully it won't be so bad for you...good luck.
  • Pick up a hooker
  • Fly to London city airport and hire a car
  • Podcasts

The football ramble back catalogue will do you

Also try The Luke and Pete show. Worth a listen

I’d love to do that drive...bloody love driving