Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Music Streaming

I just wondered if anyone has any views on music streaming services and who is best. I have had Apple's ITunes for some time years now and joined Apple Music for £9.99 a month which gives you unlimited downloads of their music library which seems pretty comprehensive. However I have had some technical issues with ITunes and find their tech support not very good. I "synced" my ipod to put on some music from a CD and promptly lost most of what was on there and now have to download it again. Tech Support could not advise why. I know there are others out these such as Amazon Music and Spotify and wondered if anyone had experience of them and an opinion to whose best.

Comments

• I use Tidal, it's a bit more expensive, but streams lossless audio.
  • Most people I know use Spotify and swear by it.
  • I use Google play music, £7.99 a month (think it's more now but I've had it since it started). Gives you access to the whole Google music library and you can download for off line playback.
    Can also get an app that converts anything in your Google music library to MP3 allowing you to keep what you want permanently.
  • Most people I know use Spotify and swear by it.

Just signed up on a free trial, linked my computer to my Cambridge system its a great sound. Listening to Noel Gallagher's albums at the moment, I'm not sure someone my age should be listening to him without CL approval, but stuff em!
  • Spotify premium on a student deal for me, even not on student deal would be worth it for me
  • jams said:

Spotify premium on a student deal for me, even not on student deal would be worth it for me

What's the student deal Jams?
  • Spotify, part of my Vodafone deal.
  • I use Google play music, £7.99 a month (think it's more now but I've had it since it started). Gives you access to the whole Google music library and you can download for off line playback.
    Can also get an app that converts anything in your Google music library to MP3 allowing you to keep what you want permanently.

Oooh what's that app called? Bought a few things on Google play and can only use that player to listen to them
  • Download from YouTube and convert to an mp3 file.............zero pounds per month
  • Download from YouTube and convert to an mp3 file.............zero pounds per month

Ok you’ve got to tell me how to do that as I’m going to download stuff tomorrow, pretty please.
  • Sponsored links:

Ok you’ve got to tell me how to do that as I’m going to download stuff tomorrow, pretty please.
    I will put something up in the morning as I am not in front of my main PC, my son showed me and it’s a doddle
  • Spotify, part of my Vodafone deal.

This is what I do. It’s great at home - where I have a Sonos set up, but it can be less than perfect if there is no WiFi of 3G/4/G but I’m led to believe that you can download music in advance and then play if from your phone.

The quality of the audio this way is shocking. You are getting at least double compression.
  • PopIcon said:

Download from YouTube and convert to an mp3 file.............zero pounds per month

The quality of the audio this way is shocking. You are getting at least double compression.
    If you’re going to do that why not just rip off the whole album from BitTorrent?
  • I would say shocking is over stating it. I download music to play on my iPod in my car and it sounds great to me. I also downloaded a two hour play list for my daughters wedding reception which played in the background while we ate and out of the 150 people sitting down to eat nobody had any negative comments on the quality of the music.

I agree, if you pay for your downloads the quality will be better, but unless you are sitting in a quiet room or wearing expensive headphones there is not much in it.

I certainly would not pay a penny to download music to play in the gym or in my car.
  • I would say shocking is over stating it. I download music to play on my iPod in my car and it sounds great to me. I also downloaded a two hour play list for my daughters wedding reception which played in the background while we ate and out of the 150 people sitting down to eat nobody had any negative comments on the quality of the music.

I agree, if you pay for your downloads the quality will be better, but unless you are sitting in a quiet room or wearing expensive headphones there is not much in it.

I certainly would not pay a penny to download music to play in the gym or in my car.

Have I misunderstood something here? I thought you’d just sold your business for £2m and you’re downloading YouTube videos and converting them into MP3s for your daughter’s wedding to save yourself a tenner a month?

Not that it’s any of my business what you do with your money but I’ve done the YouTube thing for songs that I was unable to find anywhere else and it’s a bit of a faff - two hours worth must have taken you ages?
    Lol, I don’t do it to save money I do it out of principle. I don’t have Sky but I watch everything they offer.

One of my pastimes/ hobbies is IT so I like to get in amoungsts the programmes and see what they have to offer and what they are capable of.
  • McBobbin said:

I use Google play music, £7.99 a month (think it's more now but I've had it since it started). Gives you access to the whole Google music library and you can download for off line playback.

Oooh what's that app called? Bought a few things on Google play and can only use that player to listen to them
    It's called music mate, you used to get 50 tracks free then the app costs £3, not sure now as I've had it for a few years.
    Well worth the money as I basically get as many albums as I want for £7.99 a month.
  • PopIcon said:

Download from YouTube and convert to an mp3 file.............zero pounds per month

If you’re going to do that why not just rip off the whole album from BitTorrent?
    Good point, will be better quality too. If you look around you'll find flac's as well as mp3s.
  • edited November 2017
    PopIcon said:

PopIcon said:

Good point, will be better quality too. If you look around you'll find flac's as well as mp3s.
    Yes I do this as well, I only mentioned youtube as aside, I normally download my music from the same sites I get my films and TV shows from.

Youtube worked well for the wedding playlist as I copy & pasted one I found on Google, took a few songs out, added a few in and then the software done the rest rather than sitting there doing individual songs.
  • Sponsored links:

• Come on then @eaststandmike you need to tell me how to do it.
  • I am so behind the times on things like this, only just getting used to the DAB radio in the car!.

I still like putting on a CD
  • Come on then @eaststandmike you need to tell me how to do it.

Type "youtube to mp3 converter" into google. Pick one of the dozens of sites. Follow the laughably easy instructions.

Sound quality is usually fine.

• Jints said:

Come on then @eaststandmike you need to tell me how to do it.

Type "youtube to mp3 converter" into google. Pick one of the dozens of sites. Follow the laughably easy instructions.

Sound quality is usually fine.

Hi BHR, Jints has pretty much summed it up. That is all I did so rather than me writing it out line by line for you go for it.
  • In terms of music streaming services, Spotify all the way for me.

Probably because it's the most established, it offers things like Discover Weekly and playlist radios and a whole plethora of mood/genre playlists that have new stuff on, and it's streets ahead of the other services in that regard imo.

Throwback Thursday; Coffee Table Jazz; Peaceful Piano; Monday Motivation or whatever - there's lots of stuff that suits a mood or your tastes and it's great.
  • As an intellectual property lawyer, reading this thread makes me feel like a vegan reading a "bushmeat ten animal roast" thread.
  • McBobbin said:

As an intellectual property lawyer, reading this thread makes me feel like a vegan reading a "bushmeat ten animal roast" thread.

As someone who wants to pay what he can to artists who deserve it (NB I know Spotify is pretty shit for this, but I buy albums from smaller artists), me too.
  • Me too. I went to an actual independent music shop at the weekend, and bought some actual CDs. Forgot what a monster pain in the arse it will be to get the music onto my phone...
  • ozaddick said:

jams said:

Spotify premium on a student deal for me, even not on student deal would be worth it for me

What's the student deal Jams?
    Sorry oz only just seen this - it's Spotify premium (so no ads, can download) for £5pm instead of £10