Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Asthma Attack

So since Friday I've had my yearly cold as the seasons have moved towards Winter (happens every year and is the only time I'm usually unwell)...

Yesterday evening though started struggling with an asthma attack (I had asthma yet this is my first attack) which resulted in the paramedics having to come round and give me oxygen.

Went to bed last night feeling completely fatigued and despite waking up a few times in the night where I felt fine; I have absolutely no energy this morning and have had to take the day off work.

Are there any other Asthma sufferers on here who can advise what to do to recover and get my strength back as quickly as possible?

Comments

• Don't rush. That's the main thing.
    I'd also see the asthma nurse and check your meds are right and your inhaling technique if you use inhalers.
    Good luck.
  • iainment said:

Don't rush. That's the main thing.
    I'd also see the asthma nurse and check your meds are right and your inhaling technique if you use inhalers.
    Good luck.

Agree with this. I used to take the Blue (Ventolin) inhaler, but it seemed to be that I was taking more every day. The Doc then put me on Seretide - totally transformed my Asthma, so that I now have very few symptoms.
  • iainment said:

Good luck.

Agree with this. I used to take the Blue (Ventolin) inhaler, but it seemed to be that I was taking more every day. The Doc then put me on Seretide - totally transformed my Asthma, so that I now have very few symptoms.
    Yeah I started on the blue which I take whenever I need to, yet then got moved to the Brown inhaler (cant remember the name) which was helping massively

Completely my fault yet ran out of the brown on Friday which I guess would have protected me from the attack had I got some replacement sooner
  • iainment said:

Good luck.

Yeah I started on the blue which I take whenever I need to, yet then got moved to the Brown inhaler (cant remember the name) which was helping massively

Completely my fault yet ran out of the brown on Friday which I guess would have protected me from the attack had I got some replacement sooner
    The brown inhaler - Becotide - is a steroid 'preventer' medicine.
    The blue inhaler - Ventolin/Subutamol - is a 'reliever' medicine.

Both the brown and blue inhaler have totally different functions. For me, I have 2 puffs morning 2 puffs evening of Becotide but then I don't ever use my Ventolin pump unless I'm wheezing which is not very often these days.
  • A couple of tips from me. Hoover your bedroom and mattress regularly to eliminate dust. Always have at least one window very very slightly open even when its freezing outside and get adjustable thermostat valves on your radiators. Don't let the bedroom get too warm and a little air will do you the world of good. Do away with feather pillows and duvets, go for non-allergenic types.
  • Just use the preventer twice a day. Barely use the ventolin inhaler any more.

Pollution and damp air really affect my breathing.
  • JohnBoyUK said:

iainment said:

Good luck.

Both the brown and blue inhaler have totally different functions. For me, I have 2 puffs morning 2 puffs evening of Becotide but then I don't ever use my Ventolin pump unless I'm wheezing which is not very often these days.
    Seretide (purple) is a combo of the two. Initially was deemed as being too expensive to prescribe by the NHS until it was proven to save NHS money because analysis showed that it prevented hospital visits.
    I would seriously suggest you ask to be prescribed Seretide, as I said earlier, it has transformed my Asthma almost to a point where I forget I have it.
    Agree with comment about air circulating in bedroom especially.
  • JohnBoyUK said:

iainment said:

Good luck.

Seretide (purple) is a combo of the two. Initially was deemed as being too expensive to prescribe by the NHS until it was proven to save NHS money because analysis showed that it prevented hospital visits.
    I would seriously suggest you ask to be prescribed Seretide, as I said earlier, it has transformed my Asthma almost to a point where I forget I have it.
    Agree with comment about air circulating in bedroom especially.
    Thats interesting you say that about the Seretide. One of the fellas at my run club suggested I go over to using that a few years ago and I thought nothing of it. May well be worth investigating the options with my GP.
  • Just use the preventer twice a day. Barely use the ventolin inhaler any more.

Pollution and damp air really affect my breathing.

This ... Also try and take regular, non-strenuous, exercise
  • Sponsored links:

• Cold damp air does it for me. Which is why I've enjoyed this autumn so far!
    My asthma is exercise induced asthma which started about 18 years ago. Ironically exercise is now one of the best ways for me to control it. If I'm well or unwell and don't do my usual 20 miles a day cycling then the wheezing starts.
  • You must jump a lot of red lights doing 20 miles a day!
  • You must jump a lot of red lights doing 20 miles a day!

No. I see plenty of cars, lorries, vans and cyclists who do though.

My route is mainly on the Greenway so it's not really an issue for me.
  • iainment said:

Good luck.

Like a line straight out of trainspotting.
  • My doctor has put me onto Flutiform. It's made a world of difference
  • My doctor has put me onto Flutiform. It's made a world of difference

CA, wrong thread - you should be on the Ian Anderson Impressions mate.
  • iainment said:

Good luck.

once you're on a 'maintenance dose programme', you MUST take the medication regularly .. I suspect that your body gets used to a regular 'fix' and does not work so efficiently without it
  • iainment said:

Good luck.

Had the same experience, leaning on the Ventolin blue inhaler more and more. Doctor prescribed Symbicort (Red inhaler) . Dramatic life changing improvement. I never really use Ventolin anymore. This has been the situation for ten years or so.

Good luck @ForeverAddickted - its really worth investigating your options.
  • My preventer is a Fostair NEXThaler

Moved onto it about Year and half ago and has been much better than any previous inhaler.
  • I would agree--Seretide has done the same for my asthma.I have used it for the last ten years and need no other medication.Good luck--be persistent with your GP.
  • Sponsored links:

• Another vote for symbicort. Marvellous stuff.

• The brown inhaler - Becotide - is a steroid 'preventer' medicine.

This
  • I have only had one serious 'asthma attack' when i was younger, mostly mine is brought on by animals (cats & dogs), normally i am ok with football and other things but occasionally could be due to stress/ dust/ weather.

I did the other week have a very sleepless night which was night on a asthma attack and there was no explanation, made me feel ill and was struggling to breathe.

I used to rely alot on the Ventolin(blue), probably still use it more often then i should, although try to have the brown one dailly.

Thanks for the advice on here as i feel it might be worth checking some other options, normally i am ok 99% of the time so might be fine what i am doing.
  • Sometimes you just can’t make this stuff up. Had my annual Asthma review this morning. Blowing into the pipe, blood pressure check and general chat with the nurse. I’ve been feeling a bit chesty this last week or so as is normal for this time of year so I’ve been taking a little extra of my medications. The conversation went thus:

“Oh, I see your on symbicort 100”

“Yup”

“That’s for kids under 12. You’re not under 12 are you?”

“Nope, I’m 53”

“Let’s just check how long you’ve been in that dose. Surprised no one has spotted it. Oh. 15 years”

Ho hum.
  • Strange how different countries have different standards re Asthma triage...

When I was in the UK, it was just simply blowing into the 'pipe' and that's it - whereas in South Africa I had all sorts of tests and stats and graphs that came out like a corporate dashboard - that's where they suggested Seretide instead of the fob-off Ventolin that most docs seem to advise here.
  • Cheers for all the advice on here so far.

Last night it got to the stage where once again the Ventolin and Qvar were having absolutely no effect when taken so got on the phone to my GP who reckons the Asthma Attack was partly caused by a chest infection (something I did wonder) - Have now been given Antibiotics to clear that and steroid tablets to try controlling the breathlessness which rears its head in the evenings.

12-hours in and it appears to be having an effect so hopefully in seven days I'll be chest infection clear and the size of a body builder, rather than a stickman
  • Good luck FA
  • All us asthma sufferers should get regular reviews of our meds.
    I take seretide, montelukast and salbutamol (ventolin).
    Which hasn't been reviewed for a long while. So I'm going to request a review when I pop in later this week for my repeat scrip.
  • Cheers for all the advice on here so far.

Last night it got to the stage where once again the Ventolin and Qvar were having absolutely no effect when taken so got on the phone to my GP who reckons the Asthma Attack was partly caused by a chest infection (something I did wonder) - Have now been given Antibiotics to clear that and steroid tablets to try controlling the breathlessness which rears its head in the evenings.

12-hours in and it appears to be having an effect so hopefully in seven days I'll be chest infection clear and the size of a body builder, rather than a stickman

So you didnt take my advice.....
  • MrOneLung said:

Cheers for all the advice on here so far.

So you didnt take my advice.....
    Yeah thats why it took so long for me to get to the Doctors

Apparently its wrong to have a w*nk in the middle of a Town Centre and if you try you end up talking to the Police for most of the day!!