Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

The Takeover Thread - Duchatelet Finally Sells (Jan 2020)

Comments

• I've got four sources on the story. There are no guarantees until they are gone but this is real.

Wouldn't this make a great Christmas present if true?
  • SDAddick said:

SDAddick said:

drewman said:

drewman said:

How depressing.

Given that we are down to discussing the relative merits of our sellable youth products because there isn't the slightest sniff of a rumour or any gossip which suggests that a sale process is even possible, let alone imminent, it appears that my estrangement from my football club is likely to continue for the foreseeable future....

It feels strange. Normally, I would be eagerly poring through any possible transfer rumours in eager anticipation of a squad being assembled with the potential to bring us glory next season....but this summer, I haven't even looked at the transfer thread once, and I can't see myself doing so, either. I'm just not interested in the machinations being orchestrated (or not) by a manager and administration that I feel no affinity or affection for and I just wish would disappear and never come back.

As it stands, this is not my club anymore....it's like watching a horror movie where a familiar old friend has been transformed into a slavering, mindless zombie. As a diseased and decaying CAFC limply staggers along in search of brains (which would be profits for RD if I'm going to pursue this tortured analogy) I simply cannot recognise it as my dear, cherished, contented and proud friend that was once so full of life....not least because it stinks pretty badly - a rather off-putting, foetid stench of rot, misery and death which I (and many others it seems) find utterly repellent. Quite simply, I don't recognise it anymore.

I look forward to the day when the curse is lifted and I get my beloved friend back . Sadly, it doesn't look like that is going to happen any time soon...

Its a strange day when I looked forward more to the Bromley fixtures coming out than the Charlton ones and I'm jealous of Leyton Orient. Let me rephrase that. I am envious of a non league club because they have promising new ownership. Just fuck off Roland and give me my club back.
    You're jealous of Leyton Orient ? Wow.
    I know, didn't think the day would come but they are at least a club united.
    I know what you mean, but they are 17th in The National League. I wouldn't want to swap places thank-you.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/national-league
    True but as you yourself said to Meire we're similar in size to half a dozen clubs in the Premier League
    And smaller than a lot of clubs in the Championship (Leeds, Forest, Derby, Boro, Sunderland, Sheff Wed, Villa, etc).

"Size" and history don't matter much these days. Gate receipts only make for a portion of income. It's TV money and whether or not you have an owner willing to pump money into the club like Bournemouth or Leicester or Watford, etc. I just worry about us thinking we have a devine right to being in the Premier League.
    Location matters a huge amount though. As does having a stadium which is ready for the Premier League. If you want to play the PL game, there are necessarily a finite number of clubs you can buy and a very limited number in London.
    A fair point regarding London, though I believe all of the aforementioned have grounds that have hosted Premier League games.

It's not that I think we're unattractive entirely, it's just I'm not convinced we're 70m pounds just for the acquisition attractive.
    Where does £70m come from though? The point about the stadium is not that, say, Derby don't have one, but that the likely to be available London clubs with PL stadiums - or stadiums tha can be improved to that level - is a short list. In fact, I'd argue we are the only club on it.
    70m was 55m asking price plus 18m in debt that I thought you mentioned earlier but I may have read that wrong, apologies.

Regarding the ground, yeah, I think that's fair if being in London is the objective. And you're right, not only are we in London but we're in a good part of London.
  • Airman please

The plural of stadium is stadia

Airman thanks

For keeping us all in the no

And surely devine (sic) is divine. I wouldn't normally bring it up but coming from @SDAddick & @Henry Irving is shocking. Unless of course you were both referring to the old Arsenal & Eire full back John Devine.
    Look, I'll put my hand up, that's poor from me and I think Henry would be well within his right to say he just had a mix up because he was looking at my post.

You all expect better and I'll try harder next time.

The divine right comment was hyperbolic. The point I was trying to make (and sorry I've been sloppy today) was its very hard to get to the Premier League and that the clubs Henry mentioned are the exceptions rather than the rule.

That being said, I think there is a lot to emulate from the Swansea model, with the two biggest being:
    1) Supporters group own a share of the club and thus (I believe) have a permanent seat on the board
    2) Establishing a style of play starting in the lower leagues and maintaining a continuity of that style through hiring managers and signing players who fit the system.

That first one is the biggest one for me. If we could guarantee a way to have a representative of the supporters on the board of the club that would be ideal for me.
  • Whatever else is going on at the club and with Trump/Brexit @SDAddick, there is no excuse for bad grammar.

You're right. No excuses.
  • I think we are the only people left on here tonight!
  • Whatever else is going on at the club and with Trump/Brexit @SDAddick, there is no excuse for bad grammar.

Or should that be "there are no excuses for bad grammar"?

HANG YOUR HEAD!!!!!
  • SDAddick said:

SDAddick said:

SDAddick said:

drewman said:

drewman said:

How depressing.

Given that we are down to discussing the relative merits of our sellable youth products because there isn't the slightest sniff of a rumour or any gossip which suggests that a sale process is even possible, let alone imminent, it appears that my estrangement from my football club is likely to continue for the foreseeable future....

It feels strange. Normally, I would be eagerly poring through any possible transfer rumours in eager anticipation of a squad being assembled with the potential to bring us glory next season....but this summer, I haven't even looked at the transfer thread once, and I can't see myself doing so, either. I'm just not interested in the machinations being orchestrated (or not) by a manager and administration that I feel no affinity or affection for and I just wish would disappear and never come back.

As it stands, this is not my club anymore....it's like watching a horror movie where a familiar old friend has been transformed into a slavering, mindless zombie. As a diseased and decaying CAFC limply staggers along in search of brains (which would be profits for RD if I'm going to pursue this tortured analogy) I simply cannot recognise it as my dear, cherished, contented and proud friend that was once so full of life....not least because it stinks pretty badly - a rather off-putting, foetid stench of rot, misery and death which I (and many others it seems) find utterly repellent. Quite simply, I don't recognise it anymore.

I look forward to the day when the curse is lifted and I get my beloved friend back . Sadly, it doesn't look like that is going to happen any time soon...

Its a strange day when I looked forward more to the Bromley fixtures coming out than the Charlton ones and I'm jealous of Leyton Orient. Let me rephrase that. I am envious of a non league club because they have promising new ownership. Just fuck off Roland and give me my club back.
    I know what you mean, but they are 17th in The National League. I wouldn't want to swap places thank-you.

True but as you yourself said to Meire we're similar in size to half a dozen clubs in the Premier League
    And smaller than a lot of clubs in the Championship (Leeds, Forest, Derby, Boro, Sunderland, Sheff Wed, Villa, etc).

"Size" and history don't matter much these days. Gate receipts only make for a portion of income. It's TV money and whether or not you have an owner willing to pump money into the club like Bournemouth or Leicester or Watford, etc. I just worry about us thinking we have a devine right to being in the Premier League.
    Location matters a huge amount though. As does having a stadium which is ready for the Premier League. If you want to play the PL game, there are necessarily a finite number of clubs you can buy and a very limited number in London.
    A fair point regarding London, though I believe all of the aforementioned have grounds that have hosted Premier League games.

It's not that I think we're unattractive entirely, it's just I'm not convinced we're 70m pounds just for the acquisition attractive.
    Where does £70m come from though? The point about the stadium is not that, say, Derby don't have one, but that the likely to be available London clubs with PL stadiums - or stadiums tha can be improved to that level - is a short list. In fact, I'd argue we are the only club on it.
    70m was 55m asking price plus 18m in debt that I thought you mentioned earlier but I may have read that wrong, apologies.

Regarding the ground, yeah, I think that's fair if being in London is the objective. And you're right, not only are we in London but we're in a good part of London.
    Sorry to labour this point but it's important. The £55m (at June 2016) includes the £18.6m. The money he's put in is £55m less that £18.6m, because that's what he paid for the assets, so adding it is double counting.
  • Sponsored links:

• SDAddick said:

Whatever else is going on at the club and with Trump/Brexit @SDAddick, there is no excuse for bad grammar.

HANG YOUR HEAD!!!!!
    I am going outside, I may be some time.
  • addick05 said:

I've got four sources on the story. There are no guarantees until they are gone but this is real.

Wouldn't this make a great Christmas present if true?

You see! It's the computers... I tells yer... they're out to get us!

• I keep getting sofa adverts..
  • it is possible to get in the PL and stay there without spending millions as teams like Burnley prove. Ok they will likely drop out again after five to ten years max but as long as they are sensible and don't pay inflated fees and pay out long contracts on silly money the funds generated should keep them going for many years to come. The riches of the PL are such that buying a Club for 50m, which I very much doubt will be the figure paid, and funding a push to the PL is worth the trouble especially if a 75m outlay to get there is well within your financial means.
  • SDAddick said:

SDAddick said:

SDAddick said:

drewman said:

drewman said:

How depressing.

Sorry to labour this point but it's important. The £55m (at June 2016) includes the £18.6m. The money he's put in is £55m less that £18.6m, because that's what he paid for the assets, so adding it is double counting.
    No need to be sorry, thank you for clarifying. I was in the wrong here, I apologize.
  • SDAddick said:

SDAddick said:

SDAddick said:

drewman said:

drewman said:

How depressing.

I wouldn't say Charlton was an especially good part of London, the transport links aren't as good as some other clubs and the location doesn't have the glamour that Fulham and Chelsea have
  • The London aspect of things is interesting. London as a city is a location, and of course both the location and the state of the stadium is a factor. Much as I love Craven Cottage or Loftus Road for example there are among a number of London clubs with a higher status than us with stadium issues to attend to. Brentford will have a new stadium of 17250 capacity which will put them on a par with Millwall, but Palace, QPR, and Fulham have long term stadium issues. Goodness knows how to position West Ham.
    So with the new WHL that means in London only Chelsea, Tottenham and Arsenal can be said to have a more settled and established 'location' than Charlton with a 25k+ capacity. If our location is an issue the Valley still filled up for that internet game so it is not too bad.
    If Crystal Palace sort out their dreadful stadium it will cost them the kind of fortune that would mean resources for Premiership survival will be massively eaten into.
  • Sponsored links:

• Slagging her off could get you banned from this site.

Don't worry about piddles as we talk he is being replaced by Ibborg
    You must have the same sauce. The Aussies have asked Ibborg to take over as head Mod of CL, Cuddles romantic connections to the old regime means he has to go.
  • DA9 said:

SDAddick said:

SDAddick said:

SDAddick said:

drewman said:

drewman said:

How depressing.

I wouldn't say Charlton was an especially good part of London, the transport links aren't as good as some other clubs and the location doesn't have the glamour that Fulham and Chelsea have
    20-30 minutes drive from city airport, 20-30 minutes from central London and the west end by train, 10 minutes from one of Londons major tourist areas, Greenwich, prime location near all further housing regeneration along the Thames estuary out towards Kent & Essex, including the planned theme park in Swanscombe/Ebbsfleet.
    I think only Chelsea, Fulham & Arsenal (at a push) have better or more glamorous locations.
    ... and Crossrail coming soon. (from Abbey Wood).

Charlton's catchment area is huge and the multitude of new housing blocks alongside the Thames just a stones throw from the club must be a marketing opportunity. There must be some executive sales in them thar buildings.
  • DA9 said:

SDAddick said:

SDAddick said:

SDAddick said:

drewman said:

drewman said:

How depressing.

20-30 minutes drive from city airport, 20-30 minutes from central London and the west end by train, 10 minutes from one of Londons major tourist areas, Greenwich, prime location near all further housing regeneration along the Thames estuary out towards Kent & Essex, including the planned theme park in Swanscombe/Ebbsfleet.
    I think only Chelsea, Fulham & Arsenal (at a push) have better or more glamorous locations.
    Arsenal certainly is a very large push. Never forget that it's grim up north.
  • Rizzo said:

Sources suggest the stumbling block in last-minute negotiations could be the future role of highly rated Chief Exec Ms Katrien Nightmeire

Suggestions are urgently needed for her appropriate position in the exciting new era ahead ...

Based on her performance I can thoroughly recommend a customer-facing role in the catering industry.

Do you want fries with that?
    "customer facing" that's not really in her skill set is it? The burger kiosk doesn't get to personally invite only a pre-approved list of sympathetic sycophants.
    Her best hope of retention will be at the dry end of a mop in the concourse bogs after games.
    She's spent the last 3.5 years looking like she's got a smell under her nose, if she's lucky they'll let her refill the hand towels, loo rolls and switch off the lights too.

On the subject of loo roll - we could get some commemorative toilet paper printed up - any suggestions for the bespoke design..?
    loo rolls design, That is one hell of an idea but should be carried out while this shower of shit is still in charge.
    Let them clear up the pitch.Back to the 70s when football was football.
  • <blockquote class="Quote" rel="blackpool72"

Secondly regarding KR I very much doubt that new owners would just show up and sack him they would take into account where we are in the league and judge him accordingly

Aren't we in almost exactly the same league position as when Jimenez/Slater took over and sacked Parkinson, just after he'd won manager of the month four to five weeks earlier. Obviously SCP, was a great choice once he'd got his own squad, but I don't think we would be that lucky with a new manager again.
    Parkinson went on to prove his credentials once given some backing. I hope personally we stick with Robinson this season at least, as with proper backing think we will progress
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!