Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Oxford v Charlton - Post Match Views

1235»

Comments

• With Big Josher the ref cosher rested i suspect all our other str...i...ke...errs

We're fooked!

Thanks you old Belgian spunk bubble.
  • edited October 2017
    Just watched the highlights on Valley Pass. Thoughts on KAG's miss at the end - there's no deying his shot was way off target, so it was a glaring miss in the sense he missed by a long way, but it wasn't glaring miss in the sense he missed a guilt edged chance. It was a scoring opportunity, but to have scored from where he was with defenders closing down his shooting angle it would have been an excellent finish. He tried to curl it first time into the far corner, which is what he needed to do, but got a poor contact and sent it wide without enough bend on it. I'm not sure it would have been any better that 30% scoring chance for even someone like Ricky. Sarr's miss was much much worse - he could have chested the ball down and passed it into the net he had that much time and space in the box.

Edit: as you can see from the screen grab below, Leuth's otherwise eerily accurate diagram is lacking a few defenders.
  • Bottom line is simple people, really bloody simple: You don't get out of this League without a 25-goal scoring striker and we don't have one.

In 97/98 we had Mendonca, in 99/00 we had Hunt and in 11/12 we had BWP - these are the players who turn drawers into wins and losses into draws.

Without that player you are going to drop too many points and very, very few midfielders are ever going to score 25 goals in a season unless their name is Frank Lampard.

This is simply not true. Boltons top scorers last year had a grand total of 9 goals each. We are too over reliant on Josh to play the striker role agreed and for me we are going to be to reliant on goals from our midfield but to say a 25 goal striker is compulsory is incorrect.

It does not matter who scores the goals as long as we grab them and quite frankly it does not look like scoring goals is going to be any sort of problem this year.

I agree it's not compulsory although in Bolton's case Clough scored 9 before leaving January and was replaced by Le Fondre who scored 6.
  • Official Oxford Utd 2 mins clip, shows Sarr miss and a few other goal attempts by both sides, but not the KAG one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HxYP7LqlSw0

Sarr definitely should’ve got his header on target, and maybe even could’ve brought it down or shot with his feet. It was a little bit of an awkward height to be fair but he also had more time than he realised.

Ricky’s chance was a huge chance as well, that deep cross from Fosu was perfect for Holmes to head that powerfully on target instead of going for the cushioned volley.

Two great chances to score as well as KAG’s one at the end. We must start to be more clinical.
  • Sage said:

Official Oxford Utd 2 mins clip, shows Sarr miss and a few other goal attempts by both sides, but not the KAG one.

Sarr definitely should’ve got his header on target, and maybe even could’ve brought it down or shot with his feet. It was a little bit of an awkward height to be fair but he also had more time than he realised.

Ricky’s chance was a huge chance as well, that deep cross from Fosu was perfect for Holmes to head that powerfully on target instead of going for the cushioned volley.

Two great chances to score as well as KAG’s one at the end. We must start to be more clinical.
    Exactly as I saw it. Sarr's should have been on target - if the keeper says it then so be it, but 8 yards out and no defenders with him it was a poor effort. Holmes should have headed his, either at the goal or back across goal where Big Josh was waiting.

I know if it was the opposition at least one would have gone in.
  • Sage said:

Official Oxford Utd 2 mins clip, shows Sarr miss and a few other goal attempts by both sides, but not the KAG one.

Exactly as I saw it. Sarr's should have been on target - if the keeper says it then so be it, but 8 yards out and no defenders with him it was a poor effort. Holmes should have headed his, either at the goal or back across goal where Big Josh was waiting.

Can’t help but completely agree with you golfie..
  • Why are some comments in bold and some normal. It’s not doing my OCD any good
  • edited October 2017
    _nam11 said:

Why are some comments in bold and some normal. It’s not doing my OCD any good

Bold = was at game; the mods add the bold. (That's if it's the original comment; some people highlight bits of other people's posts when replying.)
  • Ah that makes sense. Thanks for clarifying
  • Sponsored links:

• Sage said:

But then Oxford fans will also claim that they should have won the match. This block by JFC for example may have prevented a goal

• Was there, we should have knicked it, both their fullbacks were slow and bad defenders so should have exploited them, draw is ok particularly if we win Saturday, however we do need to be winning games like this otherwise it's a struggle to make top 6. kag effort looked poor at the death, you have to at least hit the target and make the keeper work, nearly ended up as a throw in it was so wide.
  • Think Sarr was given offside, so wouldn't have counted anyway. Well that was the opinion around where we sat.
  • edited October 2017
    Sarr was marginally offside at worst (If you pause the above video), but Magennis is a couple of yards offside.
  • edited October 2017
    With 24 pts from 13, we're still theoretically on course to get 84.9 pts.

Recent 2nd places, 6th in italics:

Bolton 86, 73 ( Millwall)
    Burton 85, 74
    Franchise 91 (PNE got 89), 69
    Brentford 94 (3 teams got 86 or 85), 74
    Bournemouth 83 (Donny top with 84), 74
    Wendies 93 (Sheff Utd 90, some other team were champions with 101), 73.

So, if the target for the play-offs is 75, we need another 51 from 33 games, which equates to something like W14 D9 L10.

To get into the autos, it currently looks like being a 90+ year, but with a greater margin of error.
  • Charlton boss Karl Robinson is planning to rest star striker Josh Magennis.

Magennis has not been substituted in his 14 games for the Addicks and Northern Ireland this season.

He faces a gruelling two-legged World Cup play-off against Switzerland next month.

Robinson says Magennis will get a week off to recharge his batteries - but the Charlton boss would not reveal when.

He told News Shopper: “We’ve pencilled in another big break for the team where Josh will get six days [off] going into a certain game.

“He’ll go away on the Saturday night, get his feet up, and he’ll come back on the Friday and sit on the bench on the Saturday. And that will be him getting a massive rest.

“He’ll come back a different character.”

MORE: Charlton midfielder injury doubt to face former club Bradford

Magennis and Joe Dodoo are Charlton’s only senior strikers.

But Dodoo is yet to start for the Addicks since joining on loan from Rangers on transfer deadline day.

Robinson has told Magennis when he’ll be rested, which could give Dodoo or Billy Clarke the opportunity to play as the number nine.

The Liverpudlian added: “This [planning] is all part of a manager that can be at a club for a longer period, not three or four weeks.

“But you can plan this and the players know when their break and rest is coming and when they have to hit certain fitness levels.

“Josh will get it [the break] but he won’t burnout. He’s a beast, a machine. He knows when his break will be.”

Wish i could get 6 days off after working 2.
  • robroy said:

Leuth said:

robroy said:

Anyone got the Grant miss?

How the feck did he miss that! Disgrace...
    I'm more interested in his gas bill.
  • A very good game and on that showing both teams will be play off candidates.
    Charlton were marginally the better of two very good sides, but 1-1 was fair enough.
    Oxford were the second best team we've played this season, so I'm happy with a well earned and deserved point.
  • Bottom line is simple people, really bloody simple: You don't get out of this League without a 25-goal scoring striker and we don't have one.

In 97/98 we had Mendonca, in 99/00 we had Hunt and in 11/12 we had BWP - these are the players who turn drawers into wins and losses into draws.

Without that player you are going to drop too many points and very, very few midfielders are ever going to score 25 goals in a season unless their name is Frank Lampard.

This is simply not true. Boltons top scorers last year had a grand total of 9 goals each. We are too over reliant on Josh to play the striker role agreed and for me we are going to be to reliant on goals from our midfield but to say a 25 goal striker is compulsory is incorrect.

It does not matter who scores the goals as long as we grab them and quite frankly it does not look like scoring goals is going to be any sort of problem this year.

And where are they now.........bottom of the Championship - whereas Sheff U, who went up convincingly & had Billy Sharpe knocking in the goals, are in the top 6.
    err I fail to see your point the post I responded to discussed promotion and not getting out of this division with a 25 goal striker. It does not matter where each team are know when the target is promotion.

In answer to the NEW point being made id agree that we will struggle without a second striker in the Champtionship which is where a strong recruitment campaign will be needed. Without a strong campaign we may well struggle but that does not detract from my answer to the original point that a 25 goal striker is not compulsory to achieve the goal of promotion.

Bolton did however concede a ludicrously low number of goals. They conceded the lowest in the league with 36. When that happens you can get away with not having a genius goalscorer because the old goal will win you the game if you're not letting any in. For reference, Bolton only scored 8 goals more than us, but conceded 17 fewer. That's huge. They had the second highest goal difference (32) after the champions despite scoring the 5th most goals. Our goal difference was 7.

So you're right when you say a 25 goal a season striker isn't compulsory, but to compensate you need a watertight defence. Ours is not. Our goal difference is 5 at the moment, while Wigan's is 18 and Shrewsbury's is 14. As good as our individual defenders might be, our defence is leaky and we've only kept three clean sheets this season. It's more likely than not that the opposition will score so we really do need that prolific striker to bail us out. Alternatively we could tighten up our defence at which point the goals we get from Magennis, Holmes, Fosu, Clarke and Forster-Caskey would see us through. I don't quite see that happening any time soon though so a more likely scenario is we bring in someone to turn the seesaw matches into wins.

Basically you need one or the other if you're going to make a rel fist of going up. Alternatively you could be like us in 2011/12, where we had both a prolific striker and a bastardy defence; we conceded 36, scored 82, had a goal difference of 46 and got a record number of points. There's always that.
    I cant argue with this although I will say we will score more goals then Bolton. I think we will have 4 or 5 players that reach double figures. I actually agree we need a prolific striker.

I mentioned on another thread we are relying on our midfielders scoring great goals from outside of the box and that's not always going to happen which is where we need that striker. So I agree we need a 'fox in the box' to put the a scrappy goal when its not coming off for midfielders.

Like I said it does not matter who scores the goals as long as someone does but I shall add I would like a striker to score a 2 yard tap in when a midfielders shot has cannoned back off the wrong side of the post.
  • Sponsored links:

• Scoham said:

Bottom line is simple people, really bloody simple: You don't get out of this League without a 25-goal scoring striker and we don't have one.

I agree it's not compulsory although in Bolton's case Clough scored 9 before leaving January and was replaced by Le Fondre who scored 6.
    That I did no know but I personally think we shall see atleast 2 players hit 15 league goals :)

Bolton did however concede a ludicrously low number of goals. They conceded the lowest in the league with 36. When that happens you can get away with not having a genius goalscorer because the old goal will win you the game if you're not letting any in. For reference, Bolton only scored 8 goals more than us, but conceded 17 fewer. That's huge. They had the second highest goal difference (32) after the champions despite scoring the 5th most goals. Our goal difference was 7.

So you're right when you say a 25 goal a season striker isn't compulsory, but to compensate you need a watertight defence. Ours is not. Our goal difference is 5 at the moment, while Wigan's is 18 and Shrewsbury's is 14. As good as our individual defenders might be, our defence is leaky and we've only kept three clean sheets this season. It's more likely than not that the opposition will score so we really do need that prolific striker to bail us out. Alternatively we could tighten up our defence at which point the goals we get from Magennis, Holmes, Fosu, Clarke and Forster-Caskey would see us through. I don't quite see that happening any time soon though so a more likely scenario is we bring in someone to turn the seesaw matches into wins.

Basically you need one or the other if you're going to make a rel fist of going up. Alternatively you could be like us in 2011/12, where we had both a prolific striker and a bastardy defence; we conceded 36, scored 82, had a goal difference of 46 and got a record number of points. There's always that.
    I cant argue with this although I will say we will score more goals then Bolton. I think we will have 4 or 5 players that reach double figures. I actually agree we need a prolific striker.

I mentioned on another thread we are relying on our midfielders scoring great goals from outside of the box and that's not always going to happen which is where we need that striker. So I agree we need a 'fox in the box' to put the a scrappy goal when its not coming off for midfielders.

Like I said it does not matter who scores the goals as long as someone does but I shall add I would like a striker to score a 2 yard tap in when a midfielders shot has cannoned back off the wrong side of the post.
    Our midfielders aren't just scoring 20 yarders. Fosu's goals have mainly been in the box

Our midfielders aren't just scoring 20 yarders. Fosu's goals have mainly been in the box