Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Oxford v Charlton - Post Match Views

Comments

• Options
    Also you could really see Josh getting annoyed that passes weren't coming his way or quite coming off. He is getting himself into good positions but we can't quite reach him at the moment.

I think we're better with Ricky on the wing...has he demanded a more central role to the detriment of the team or is Robbo experimenting, maybe with the hypothetical idea of having Ricky, Fosu and Marshall all in the team at once in some distant parallel universe where Marshall is fit enough to play?
  • Options

Bottom line is simple people, really bloody simple: You don't get out of this League without a 25-goal scoring striker and we don't have one.

In 97/98 we had Mendonca, in 99/00 we had Hunt and in 11/12 we had BWP - these are the players who turn drawers into wins and losses into draws.

Without that player you are going to drop too many points and very, very few midfielders are ever going to score 25 goals in a season unless their name is Frank Lampard.

Not strictly true. Shrewsbury are absolutely flying but from 14 games their top scorer has 6 goals.

On the face of it, last night seems like a decent point but given the away fixtures coming up, we needed a win in my opinion. Bradford, Shrewsbury, Scunthorpe and Blackburn the next 4 away games. Will do well to get 5-6 points from that.
  • Options
    A fair result, in my opinion. Both sides were fairly tidy but neither did enough to win the game. Kashi looked a cut above most on the pitch and Fosu looked dangerous in the first half. Our football was fairly tidy but we never looked particularly dangerous. I am not sure what marks you give Magennis; he got very little to work with. Sarr showed talent and made me nervous in equal measure. You just know a bad goal is coming if he keeps playing. If Truro City sent spies to watch us, they won't be panicking.
  • Options
    fairly happy with a point, just watched the goals

- Fosu took his very well
    - terrible header from Solly, that's gotta go out for a corner (or at least out wide) not straight out to the edge of the box
  • Options

cabbles said:

Such a sweet left foot for Sarr.
    TBH we stormed the first 25, should have been at least 3 up, then faded out - Fosu especially . Reeves was anonymous, as was Magennis, and we didnt really trouble their keeper in second half mainly because of wayward shooting, which was dreadful.
    However, we controlled the match, were much the better team, without really causing much damage. Lots of pretty football that got us, well, not really very far , especially in 2nd half.
    As you can tell, very impressed with Sarr. Confident, skilful and his distribution was spot on.

cabbles said:

@i_b_b_o_r_g I'm staying up late and bold highlighting all the posts from fans that were there. What you doing????

was the President there or are you just shit at this cabbies
    If I slip up and misinterpret that the president was there through his descriptive post, then I hold my hand up. But me just showing that I was willing to stay up and bold highlight has gone a long way I feel in warding off the threat of ibborg
    if you'd read all posts "Charlton vs Oxford Ifollow help" you'd have noticed that the President watched on the stream .
    What I'm basically saying is if you want to be taken seriously on this board as a moderator you might wanna be a bit more thorough, especially when you are looking to pick up on the likes of 31 year man , or ibborg for any mishaps , all the best .
    Pissing iFollow
  • Options

didn't go, didn't watch it & only read glimpses on the match thread.

My take on it all is that we are too wasteful with the chances that we do create & a team that is serious about promotion would be scoring them & winning games (Shrewsbury)

Big Josh is currently not at the races - last couple of games I've seen he doesn't put himself about enough for a lone striker / No 9 / or whatever his role is.

Problem is that we don't even have a Plan A (part 2), let alone a plan B. KAG & Dodoo are so inept up front even KR doesn't rate them for a last 10 min onslaught & so a tiring, ineffective & tiring JM has to continue. Until this situation is sorted out we will continue to struggle to beat teams. Yes, we will win more than we lose, but wont get enough wins to get into the top 2 & even a top 6 position (and thus play-offs) is still only 50/50. After deadline day we were all muttering "god forbid if Holmes or Big Josh gets injured" - now its "god forbid if Fosu gets injured" as at the moment he is the only one who looks like scoring. Holmes has gone off the boil along with JM, Clarke obviously has a niggle & can't play a full 90 mins, Marshall has been rushed back too soon & Reeves ....????

Sorry, but if anyone thinks that come January the SMT will change a habit of a lifetime (do leopards change their spots ?) and actually spend money & buy a striker to help /replace Big Josh is more deluded than Boris Johnson, Teresa May & David Davis put together.

I have said more times than I care to mention that goals win games. You can have as much possession & tippy-tappy football as you like but if you don't put the ball in the onion bag you wont win.....and strikers win games. If you don't believe me just ask Harry Kane, Gary Lineker, Alan Shearer, Killer, Malcolm Macdonald, Brian Clough......

we have f**kwits running this club & no mistake. Novak scored tonight, Matt Godden got 2. The player brought in the replace the first, and a late substitute for the 2nd (yes, all puns intended) can't get onto the frigging pitch, match after match.

I make it about 2 or 3 league titles between those 6 players. Yes we need to be more clinical in the box, and KAG had to at least make the keeper work. But we're scoring plenty this year, and last night we created very few clear chances - our crossing was poor, we only won a couple of corners, etc, etc. Not convinced that Novak would have made much difference last night...

A dilemma Karl has is that Fosu is scoring for fun in that role, but Clarke/Reeves wide doesn't work. But get Marshall fit and we might be in business.
  • Options
    cabbles said:

A game we would have drawn last season

Satisfying the consolidationists
    a game we did indeed draw 1-1 last season .. deja vu all over again .. we took the lead and then conceded in both games
  • Options
    wasn't there .. seems it was a pretty even game .. coming away with a point from promotion rivals is OK ... BUT ......
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    How are people watching on a stream? Must have missed this first time round.
  • Options
    Charlton boss Karl Robinson is planning to rest star striker Josh Magennis.

Magennis has not been substituted in his 14 games for the Addicks and Northern Ireland this season.

He faces a gruelling two-legged World Cup play-off against Switzerland next month.

Robinson says Magennis will get a week off to recharge his batteries - but the Charlton boss would not reveal when.

He told News Shopper: “We’ve pencilled in another big break for the team where Josh will get six days [off] going into a certain game.

“He’ll go away on the Saturday night, get his feet up, and he’ll come back on the Friday and sit on the bench on the Saturday. And that will be him getting a massive rest.

“He’ll come back a different character.”

MORE: Charlton midfielder injury doubt to face former club Bradford

Magennis and Joe Dodoo are Charlton’s only senior strikers.

But Dodoo is yet to start for the Addicks since joining on loan from Rangers on transfer deadline day.

Robinson has told Magennis when he’ll be rested, which could give Dodoo or Billy Clarke the opportunity to play as the number nine.

The Liverpudlian added: “This [planning] is all part of a manager that can be at a club for a longer period, not three or four weeks.

“But you can plan this and the players know when their break and rest is coming and when they have to hit certain fitness levels.

“Josh will get it [the break] but he won’t burnout. He’s a beast, a machine. He knows when his break will be.”
  • Options

There is a thread on it mate. Any problems PM me
  • Options
    just had a look through what some have wrote and the player marks. I knew Reeves was going to have a poor game. before anyone starts having a go at me for picking on a player who has barely played my thinking was more to do with how he played and where on Saturday.

Clarke was on the right flank and his performance was poor. he found it difficult as he's not a winger also he might of been a bit of the pace anyway which Reeves also could be. then reeves came on for him and looked worse. found it difficult to get the ball and was off no effect driving forward. seems the same happened yesterday.

its a shame as we have plenty of players who can play down the middle. both fosu and holmes are very capable of it but I'm not sure its good for Clarke or Reeves to play in a position they obviously struggle with. especially Reeves.
  • Options

Magennis will surely be rested for the Truro game

When you wouldn't play him anyway. Not really a grand strategy as presented.
  • Options

cabbles said:

TBH we stormed the first 25, should have been at least 3 up, then faded out - Fosu especially . Reeves was anonymous, as was Magennis, and we didnt really trouble their keeper in second half mainly because of wayward shooting, which was dreadful.
    However, we controlled the match, were much the better team, without really causing much damage. Lots of pretty football that got us, well, not really very far , especially in 2nd half.
    As you can tell, very impressed with Sarr. Confident, skilful and his distribution was spot on.

cabbles said:

@i_b_b_o_r_g I'm staying up late and bold highlighting all the posts from fans that were there. What you doing????

If I slip up and misinterpret that the president was there through his descriptive post, then I hold my hand up. But me just showing that I was willing to stay up and bold highlight has gone a long way I feel in warding off the threat of ibborg
    if you'd read all posts "Charlton vs Oxford Ifollow help" you'd have noticed that the President watched on the stream .
    What I'm basically saying is if you want to be taken seriously on this board as a moderator you might wanna be a bit more thorough, especially when you are looking to pick up on the likes of 31 year man , or ibborg for any mishaps , all the best .
    I see this has been promoted now as well. Great
  • Options
    Maybe not the greatest hidden strategy with Magennis but it’s still sensible planning.

He plays against Bradford and Wimbledon. Has a complete rest essentially until he goes away on international duty, which will probably be a good 9/10 days off.

Hopefully he plays well for Northern Ireland, scores and they go into the World Cup and we get Magennis back until the next international break firing on all cylinders.
  • Options
    edited October 2017

https://charltonlife.vanillaforums.com/discussion/78300/streaming-games-from-outside-the-u-k-2017-18#latest

Whilst the headline is from outside the UK, there is a workaround for you to get the stream within the UK by using a VPN.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Sarr is in the team to stay after tonights performance.

You must have been watching a different game to me. He made more mistakes in one 10 minute spell than Konsa did in the whole game on Saturday. Always thought he looked a disaster waiting to happen. Managed to get himself out of self made trouble quite a lot which often made him look good. Konsa just wouldn't have got into the trouble in the first place.
  • Options
    cabbles said:

cabbles said:

cabbles said:

I see this has been promoted now as well. Great
    I sense the 31 year man is gaining a bit of influence in CL Towers. The family Christmas dinner may get a bit tense for you.
  • Options
    redman said:

You must have been watching a different game to me. He made more mistakes in one 10 minute spell than Konsa did in the whole game on Saturday. Always thought he looked a disaster waiting to happen. Managed to get himself out of self made trouble quite a lot which often made him look good. Konsa just wouldn't have got into the trouble in the first place.
    Is it possible you may have been watching a different game to the rest of us? - according to the Player marks thread he was clearly our MOM to most people.
  • Options
    Definitely 2 points lost for me.

We dominated but never took out chances.
  • Options

redman said:

Is it possible you may have been watching a different game to the rest of us? - according to the Player marks thread he was clearly our MOM to most people.
    With Preston on this, Sarr was easily the best player on the entire pitch.
  • Options
    I particular like his ball control and distribution was immaculate last night. If only he'd scored with that header early on.
  • Options
    Good result against a good team.

At what stage will optimism recommence?
  • Options

redman said:

Touche!. He seems to becoming a bit of a cult figure but I stand by my assertion that he made more mistakes than Konsa. His positional play also not as good. Everyone entitled to their opinion.
  • Options
    First away game of the season. Overall conclusion unchanged that we have good chance of making playoffs but probably not automatic.

We need to become more clinical. Once again we missed some good chances and our crossing from good positions was once again poor.

Some very good football played at times. All players had good spells but not consistent enough for the 90 minutes.

Most comforting thing was Amos looking as solid as he has been whenever I've seen him.
  • Options
    Looking at the table, we've scored 21 goals in 13 games. All the teams around us have played 1 more game, and none have scored significantly more goals than us, it's the goals against number which separates the top 2 from the rest of the division.