Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

DIY Tips

Does anyone want to share any DIY tips that may make things easier for other lifers? I'll start with when drilling a hole into a wall for shelves or pictures etc, after marking with a pencil gently tap a masonry nail on the mark. This will stop the drill bit sliding off the mark. You never know among the comedic replies we may discover some good ideas.

Comments

• edited October 2017
    When you turn on a stop cock. Fully open the valve and then close it back half a turn.
  • Get someone else in to do it.
  • Whenever you are doing or having a stab at something you don't really know how to do, take a step back and ask yourself "should I know this, or am I in this position because I paid fuck all attention at school or when every other father figure tried to teach me I was more interested in the Xbox?"

it's either one or the other usually and occasionally, in taking that step back and thinking about asking the internet you solve it

The key is knowing your limits, very basic electrical work can be learned, you would also be amazed how resourceful you can be when water is fizzing out of a pipe and you blindly reach for the oxyacetalene torch and solder you only bought from lidls because you wanted to have one and all of a sudden split copper pipes hold no fear. and if clutsyingly trying to do that fails, you can gaffer tape the mother's out of it and that should hold until the pro turns up
  • Sponsored links:

• Does anyone want to share any DIY tips that may make things easier for other lifers? I'll start with when drilling a hole into a wall for shelves or pictures etc, after marking with a pencil gently tap a masonry nail on the mark. This will stop the drill bit sliding off the mark. You never know among the comedic replies we may discover some good ideas.

Centre punch?
  • Take photos at every stage when you take things apart. That way, when you reassemble, you won't end up with a lot of head scratching and a pile of these:

• Always use the correct tools for the job. Never rush to finish a job.
  • YouTube.

Then Redtube when you realise you'll never be able to do it.
  • Always keep a first aid kit handy.
  • When repairing anything that requires the removal of small screws keep a small magnet close to hand. No more searching on the floor for screws.
  • Finally @happyvalley, i've been waiting 2 years for your next tip! 😉
  • When repairing anything that requires the removal of small screws keep a small magnet close to hand. No more searching on the floor for screws.
    Which is really handy  when removing brass screws! 😉
  • Sponsored links:

• T_C_E said:
    When repairing anything that requires the removal of small screws keep a small magnet close to hand. No more searching on the floor for screws.
    Which is really handy  when removing brass screws! 😉
    Just pay them.
  • I have one golden rule that has never let me down when it comes to DIY.  Always do it tomorrow.
  • DIY brings out the worst in me. I think I've worked out it's in my head as at work I do a pretty hands on role and engineer things. 

And I get paid ok for that

Doing shit indoors let's say, decorating a room and laying new flooring, replacing radiators that type of thing is gratis time in terms of my time, the finished effect will not bring me satisfaction because I am not a decorator, a plumber, a spark or a floor layer so whilst I can get by nothing will look as professional because it wasnt done by a pro. And for me to do something like that to a good standard will take me time, time I could be earning doing something I'm a solid 8 maybe 9 out of ten at depending on the day and weather. Decorating will enthuse me for about a millisecond before I'm wasting a Saturday I could have gone in and earned plenty of money to pay a professional mate to come round and do a job professionally. If time was no object I'd do loads of DIY. Doing a shift, coming home to a building site I need to affect, I have done before and it is not fun. 
  • Pay a professional to do it. 
  • My father was in construction. His advice to me was that if you want a job done well, pay someone who knows what they are doing. I live by that advice. 
  • Learn the difference between Phillips and Pozidriv screws - always use the right screwdriver.
  • Does anyone want to share any DIY tips that may make things easier for other lifers? I'll start with when drilling a hole into a wall for shelves or pictures etc, after marking with a pencil gently tap a masonry nail on the mark. This will stop the drill bit sliding off the mark. You never know among the comedic replies we may discover some good ideas.
    Won’t the drill slide off the head of the nail if you do that ?
  • Pick one of metric or imperial and stick to it.