Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Working in Dubai

edited October 2017 in Not Sports Related
I know there's another thread about Dubai, but that's more holiday focussed.

I am closing in on a job opportunity in Dubai, working for a company and manager I've happily worked for before in Guernsey and Birmingham. However, Dubai is a bit more of a culture change than either of those, and I'm up in the air at the moment. It would be open ended as an employee rather than fixed term as a contractor as I have been before. I've not discussed pay or benefits, but the manager knows roughly what I'd be after, and there would be some accommodation allowance and car allowance thrown in.
I'd be doing this as a single bloke now the children are grown, so would need to build a social life and find things to do at the weekend. I like a beer or five too, but am keen to avoid jail.
I'm aware that there's no income tax charged in Dubai, but I don't see that I can avoid UK tax resident status (certainly not for 2017/18, and i have no wish to sell my UK house) so a large part of the attraction of going there to work is not available to me. Nonetheless, I'd welcome the chance to work abroad. Dubai might not be my first choice, but I'd really appreciate any thoughts, comments or considerations that anyone who has done or is doing this might be able to offer.

Comments

• Just sounds a great opportunity
  • no pay or benefits discussed, open ended not contract (you could be laid off after a month with no compensation) and you sound unsure .. don't do it until all t/s are crossed and all i/s dotted ..
    if you're young it's an adventure, you say you have older children so that makes you 'older' and more 'at risk' .. what are your alternative job prospects like in the UK ?

To me 'the Dub' is just about OK for a visit, I would not want to move there or indeed work there unless the deal was iron clad, VERY lucrative and not for too long
  • edited October 2017
    What price can you put on experience? Do it
  • @lordromford may be able to give you the lowdown
  • I'm inclined to do it - I know the deal will be reasonable and I'll be agreeing it before any commitment anyway. I trust the guy I'd be working for.
    I've been working on a series of contracts for the last year or so, and there's no reason that shouldn't continue. I have reserve enough to see me through a bit of a quiet period as I've only taken five days off since November last year.
    When I say open ended, I'd be going as an employee rather than on a fixed term deal. It's a big UK based group with global activity. They've been fine with me thus far. There'd be holiday pay too, which would be nice after this last year.
    It's not as if I'm giving up anything workwise - my current contract with a different company will expire before Christmas, and I dont want to continue with it after that as it's a 60 mile commute each way to Southampton. Five months of that will have been enough.

I'm inclined to accept if it's offered at the right terms - I know I can do the work and I love travelling. I cant rent out my house for various reasons, not least that it needs a bundle spending on it.

I was really after thoughts about lifestyle - living somewhere is very different from short business or holiday trips.

• ^^^^^ terrific .. good luck
  • Great opportunity.

My brother in-law went to work in Abu-Dhabi a few years ago and hasn’t looked back. He was a bit worried about the culture, but there are plenty of ex-pats out there and he does social things with them. he’s agreed to stay there for another 7 years.

Give it a crack.
  • IdleHans said:

I know there's another thread about Dubai, but that's more holiday focussed.

I am closing in on a job opportunity in Dubai, working for a company and manager I've happily worked for before in Guernsey and Birmingham. However, Dubai is a bit more of a culture change than either of those, and I'm up in the air at the moment. It would be open ended as an employee rather than fixed term as a contractor as I have been before. I've not discussed pay or benefits, but the manager knows roughly what I'd be after, and there would be some accommodation allowance and car allowance thrown in.
    I'd be doing this as a single bloke now the children are grown, so would need to build a social life and find things to do at the weekend. I like a beer or five too, but am keen to avoid jail.
    I'm aware that there's no income tax charged in Dubai, but I don't see that I can avoid UK tax resident status (certainly not for 2017/18, and i have no wish to sell my UK house) so a large part of the attraction of going there to work is not available to me. Nonetheless, I'd welcome the chance to work abroad. Dubai might not be my first choice, but I'd really appreciate any thoughts, comments or considerations that anyone who has done or is doing this might be able to offer.

Brass central
  • I don't really like Dubai (best mate lives over there so been many times) but there is a big expat community so you'll make friends* and drinking buddies pretty quickly.

I'd go for it, if it's rubbish you can always come home.

*this is actually one of the things that puts me off, being mates with someone just because they come from the same country as you seems ridiculous to me but loads of people seem to be fine with it.
  • I work in Dubai. Different circumstances though as I’m a teacher and I have my young family with me.
    I’d say that as a single male with no dependents you’ll be alright for things to do. There are plenty of bars and stuff. However, although there’s a bustling younger scene here, I’m not so sure about the single scene for those who’ve been around the block, as it were. It depends what you want I guess.
    If you just like to go out for a friendly pint or two...three...etc, I like to get out for the occasional drink when ladyromford allows it, so you’re welcome to call on this fellow addick if you like. Oh, and just get an alcohol licence. As long as you don’t have a tendency to get lairy, you’ll be ok with a licence in your pocket.

As far as life in general is concerned, we’ve enjoyed it here. We never fell in love with the place, but it’s an interesting place to live and work. We’re on our fourth year now and may move on after this year, (depending on opportunities), as we feel we’ve been here, done it. Some stay here for ten or twenty years, some (not many) leave after three months. It really does depend on how you feel once you’ve got used to the place. (If there’s one bit of advice I would genuinely heed, its to give the place 6 months - once you’ve done that, you’ve got past all the adjustment difficulties, so you can make a level headed judgement call as to whether it’s for you.)
    It has its frustrations (but what place doesn’t?) and it can be expensive, but it is interesting and it can be fun.

At the end of the day, the place can be a bit marmite, but I’d give it a go if I were you. Some people seem to come out here determined to hate the place, but if you’re open to a change of culture, good and bad, you’ll be fine.

Worst case scenario is that you hate it and go home after 6 months or so - so it depends if you’ll have something to go back to if that happens - but to be honest, that’s pretty rare.

Good luck and give me a shout if you come out here!
  • Sponsored links:

• Really insightful, @lordromford, thank you.

I'm not a lairy drinker at all, just like a quiet drink now and then. My capacity is not what it used to be anyway.

I wouldn't want to be sitting about at the weekend, would rather get out and do things (which does not include shopping) and make the most of being somewhere new.

Lots of research still to do, and I have at least one more interview to get through before anything happens anyway.

Thanks all for your contributions.

• Do it. You wont regret it.
  • Go Ferret
  • Always worth taking advantage of working overseas.

Done it a few times although only fleeting visits to UAE ... go for it.