Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Yet Another R I P .. The Founder of the Marquee Club

Harold Pendleton, good old age, 93 ..

The founder of the Marquee club and the Reading festival .. he gave the Rollin' Stones (no 'g' in the early days) their first ever gig at the Marquee, the start of something BIG ..

R I P

Comments

• Saw some great gigs there back in the day ... RIP
  • These are getting very obscure.

May be worth a 'People who've died' thread for all but the very famous or Charlton connected?

May be worth a 'People who've died' thread for all but the very famous or Charlton connected?

no more obscure than (e.g.) Harvey Weinstein and 90% of the RIPs on here ... and there are a LOT of aging/aged/old music fans on here would find this of interest, me included

no more obscure than (e.g.) Harvey Weinstein and 90% of the RIPs on here ... and there are a LOT of aging/aged/old music fans on here would find this of interest, me included
    The same Harvey Weinstein story that's been first item on the news every day for the past week?

• One of my regrets in life was failing to convince my two mates that we should go into the Marquee one night, rather than carry on with a Wardour Street pub crawl. We missed U2. (But I had seem them the night before at the same venue...!)
  • edited October 2017

These are getting very obscure.

The same Harvey Weinstein story that's been first item on the news every day for the past week?

indeed .. where's the 'Charlton Connection' you quoted ? and he's still alive, albeit on the down slope career wise .. if posts don't appear to be of interest to you, don't open them .. do what I do with 50% of the stuff on here .. move on to posts that might appeal more to my interests
  • Pedro45 said:

One of my regrets in life was failing to convince my two mates that we should go into the Marquee one night, rather than carry on with a Wardour Street pub crawl. We missed U2. (But I had seem them the night before at the same venue...!)

Bullet dodged, eh?

Shame about the first night.

He's well known to me. And he was an unsung hero to my generation.

The Marquee was a seminal venue in London.
  • I'd forgotten all about him. I was a regular at The Marquee in my day and met him on two occasions. Still, remember going there. RIP.
  • Sponsored links:

Although to be fair, they're only obscure when you don't know who they are.

• I don't think someone who dies at the age of 93 can be listed as "yet another"!
  • The man that booked the Rollin' Stones first gig (only because the regular jazz band cancelled) and was lucky to be uninjured when Keith Richards tried to decapitate him with a guitar? The man responsible for booking some of the finest up-and-coming British and American acts, including the legendary Hendrix show? Also the founder of the Reading Festival.

Obscure? Not in my opinion.

RIP