Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Charlton v Doncaster | Sat 14 Oct | 3pm KO | Match Preview, Predictions, News & Views

Charlton Athletic v Doncaster Rovers
Saturday 14th October 2017 … 3pm Kick-Off
Referee: Robert Lewis (Shrewsbury)

Introduction

After going four matches without a win, it was a relief when the Addicks made the trip home from Fleetwood with three points… A 3-1 win that day courtesy of a Tariqe Fosu hat-trick ended the rot yet ended it possibly at the worst time. Last weekend saw the return of the International break which saw our game with Peterborough called off, stopping our momentum just as it began. With the latest break done and dusted though its time to return to league action as we welcome Doncaster Rovers back to the Valley.

The Opposition
Name: Doncaster Rovers | Manager: Darren Ferguson
League Form: (P)-12 | (W)-3 | (D)-3 | (L)-6 | (GS)-15 | (GC)-15

Doncaster travel to the Valley this weekend with the Addicks playing the second of the newly promoted sides… Making a return to League One after a one season absence, it was a dramatic last day of the season for Donny which saw our opponents in pole position to win the League Two title yet a surprise defeat away at Hartlepool saw Doncaster dropping to third and no silverware to lift or add to the impressive trophy haul that the Ferguson family have obtained over the years.

When a side usually gets promoted in the Football League there tends to be a continuation of the form that guided the team to promotion (as seen with Sheffield United in the Championship this year) yet for those up from League Two that doesn’t seem to have happened; Blackpool have briefly had a spell in the Play-Offs yet those who occupied the automatic promotion slots appear to have struggled, with Doncaster only recording three wins this term there is certainly work to be done.

As is the modern game it’s always the Strikers who get the plaudits and in John Marquis they certainly have someone who knows where the goal is… Yet its Alfie May who is making me sit up and take notice; The 24-year old has had a bit of a nomad career and like our very own Ricky Holmes, appears to have slipped under the league radar. Signed from Hythe Town in January, the Striker has drifted around four other Kent sides making you wonder if our own scouts were watching this talent. Having scored five goals this term already, you have to question how far this young man can go…

Charlton Team News
Of course; Tariqe will have taken the plaudits after our 3-1 win at Fleetwood last time out yet the best news was the returning sight of Mark Marshall and Ben Reeves… Both players had run outs in Lancashire and subsequently both have played friendly matches during the International break. With a lack of minutes for both players its unlikely that either will start on Saturday yet having them as an option certainly adds to our strength on the bench.

Two players who’ll no doubt be giving Robinson a headache are Ezri Konsa and Naby Sarr with both players coming into the squad and having excellent performances themselves. You’d hope that Chris Solly is now fit after missing the Fleetwood match yet it remains to be seen if he’ll slot straight back into the starting eleven himself… If he does, then out of the two mentioned, who represents us in the centre of defence whilst Jason Pearce continues to recover from his own injury?

Amos
Solly | Bauer | Sarr | Dasilva
Kashi | Forster-Caskey
Holmes | Clarke | Fosu
Magennis

Substitutes Bench: Phillips | Konsa | Jackson | Aribo | Reeves | Marshall | Dodoo

Prediction
Its certainly frustrating that our match against Peterborough was cancelled, especially after the players put in such a performance the week before… Regardless the friendlies should have kept the players match fit and sharp so there shouldn’t be performance lacking again this weekend – We failed to beat newly promoted: Plymouth when we travelled to Devon, we need to beat Doncaster to keep pace with our rivals.

Comments

• 2-0 Charlton. Sarr and Holmes. Nice.
  • Comfortable home win 4-0.
  • Comfortable home win 4-0
  • 2-1 to the Red & White Army
  • 3-0 Charlton win, start Reevesy imo harsh on Clarke but if he can only make 1 half/ 60 minutes feel would be better get 2 /3 up while he is on.
  • Oggy Red said:

3-0 Charlton win, start Reevesy imo harsh on Clarke but if he can only make 1 half/ 60 minutes feel would be better get 2 /3 up while he is on.

If he's fit, I would start with Clarke as he's proven within the the team format and match fit.

Reeves would be ideal to replace him for the last 20 minutes or so as defenders tire and the game opens up.

I do feel i might be a bit harsh on dropping Clarke, problem is even in a 5 minute cameo at fleetwood Reeves looks class above. The sooner we get him involved in the first team the better in my opinion. Clarke is a good player but Reeves will unlock defences and has that something extra, him and holmes will be too much for any side :)
  • Sponsored links:

• 2-1 win . Two nil up then concede and hang on.
    Goals from Holmes and Forster Caskey
  • I would keep Konsa in, with Solly on the bench.
    2-0 Charlton
  • Got to keep a winning side, especially after a good all round performance.
  • 2 - 0 to The Addicks , Bauer and Holmes, Happy Days at The Valley!
  • Hope Marshall gets a decent amount of minutes, I'm really excited for him to come into the team,

I'll go for a 2-0 home win, COYR!
  • Nice to have selection problems for once. Do doubt, 3 players will go down injured in the first 20 minutes on Saturday to leave us back where we started...

Was really impressed with Sarr against Fleetwood, so he would keep his place. Konsa played RB for the U20s didn't he? Maybe play him on Saturday and Solly on Tuesday?
  • Dreadful game with a late winner ,1-0 big scramble before OG.
  • se9addick said:

Hope Marshall gets a decent amount of minutes, I'm really excited for him to come into the team,

Out of interest who are we dropping? Fosu- after Fleetwood unlikely, or maybe use on Tuesday. Its a nice problem to have him and Reeves back as at the moment they are all looking good at the top.

All good signs hopefully we can get a good run going
  • 3:1 reds, Holmes 2 Kashi 1 (from 25m out)
  • Sponsored links:

• with most players fit for the first time this season it would be a typical Charlton loss 0-1
  • I think he will start Konsa alongside Bauer, otherwise agree with FA. Clarke never seems to last 90 minutes so I expect both Reeves and Marshall to get on the pitch, assuming injuries do not mess up KR's plans. Have to go for a home win, but can we keep a clean sheet?, 3-0
  • se9addick said:

Hope Marshall gets a decent amount of minutes, I'm really excited for him to come into the team,

Out of interest who are we dropping? Fosu- after Fleetwood unlikely, or maybe use on Tuesday. Its a nice problem to have him and Reeves back as at the moment they are all looking good at the top.

All good signs hopefully we can get a good run going
    We don't necessarily have to drop anyone, across a 46 game season we'll pick up enough injuries and suspensions to give 16-18 players plenty of game time. Our big problem in previous years is that we've had absolutely no depth, having guys like Marshall waiting in the wings is a sign of progress.
  • Doncaster are too good for us
  • 3-1 for me. Ferguson likes to attack and I think that will play right into our hands they attack we counter attack. Up the Football League we go
  • 4-1 to the Addicks
  • 3-1 to us. Own goal by Bauer - headed in from 30 yards out.
  • Oggy Red said:

3-0 Charlton win, start Reevesy imo harsh on Clarke but if he can only make 1 half/ 60 minutes feel would be better get 2 /3 up while he is on.

If he's fit, I would start with Clarke as he's proven within the the team format and match fit.

Reeves would be ideal to replace him for the last 20 minutes or so as defenders tire and the game opens up.

I do feel i might be a bit harsh on dropping Clarke, problem is even in a 5 minute cameo at fleetwood Reeves looks class above. The sooner we get him involved in the first team the better in my opinion. Clarke is a good player but Reeves will unlock defences and has that something extra, him and holmes will be too much for any side :)
    He is a class above, but remember we play again Tuesday night and a week Saturday. If Clarke has gotten over the knocks he had in the last 2-3 weeks I think he should start Saturday, and then potentially give Reeves a go on Tuesday or next Saturday.
  • with most players fit for the first time this season it would be a typical Charlton loss 0-1

Ugh this is exactly what I'm thinking too
  • I am quietly confident and that worries me!
    2-1
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!