Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Tool theft - can you all help?

edited October 2017 in Not Sports Related
I'm really sorry to bring this on here. Just trying to cover as many outlets that I know will have people who will help.
My van got broken into and they stole everything. My livelihood. It's caused me a world of grief. I needed to feel I've at least tried to do something. So I started a petition. It probably won't amount to anything but I'm at least trying. Please don't pick holes or point out what I should have done just sign it if it affects you or anyone you know. I'm pretty sure everyone on here knows someone this has happened too.
It's become a right nightmare for tradesmen today. It only takes a second and costs nothing

Thanks kindly

https://www.change.org/p/uk-parliament-van-tool-theft-action-urgently-needed/fbog/235380446?recruiter=235380446&utm_source=share_petition&utm_medium=facebook&utm_campaign=share_for_starters_page

Comments

• edited October 2017
    Sorry to hear that mate.

They need to regulate tibbe keys too, terrible that they are available online, Transits can be broken into as if they've got keys.
  • Very sorry to read what has happened to you. It’s a vile crime to do and those who buy secondhand tools must have a pretty good idea where they come from and are just bad as the scum who commit the original crime.
  • Sorry to hear this mate and I think a petition is a good, practical way of trying to raise awareness
  • We had a builder round a year or so ago to fit/refurbish our kitchen. All the units etc were in our garage The builders were working in between there and their van. Everything open. They had a tea break as they like to do,went back to their van and half their stuff had been robbed all DeWalt stuff.

Builder reckoned it was do as you likies following them from their home/office to where they were working and just milled about waiting for them to leave the stuff for a few minutes. Hopefully they got some carter justice. Knowing the builder, they would have if they caught up with them! Utter scumbags.
  • I consider myself to be very liberal apart from when it comes to crimes where honest people are hurt -not just physically. These pigs have no care for your hard work and livliehood and deserve to be caught and punished severely.The punishment should be so severe that it deters other pathetic evil bastards like them.
  • help is needed, absolute scumbags no different to people that nick toys out of peoples gardens, work in the construction industry all be it office based now and our vans are decked out with the tough boxes etc, its a sad state of affairs when you have to spend thousands on securing tools, to stop some C**T pinching them, personally i would like to string them up, but of course doesnt happen this day, although hopefully some get caught by tradesman, trade counter we use if they ever get offered 2nd hand tools, distract the seller whilst they ring the police.
  • My mates Dad has done a lot of work for me.

He was doing a job up a high rise and was carrying his tools down. A car pulled up and emptied his van of tools he had built up over 30 years of working, whilst he was coming down.

He just gave up then and there and has now retired. Said he did not want to start again.

Utter scum bags these people.
  • This happened to my brother while the van was on his front drive. I also know of a van broken into without any force as (@North Lower Neil) has described.

Also, tradesmen should take care when loading and unloading at the start/end of the day - these maggots sit and watch in a vehicle, then pounce as you are away for a split second, so never leave your van unattended at any time.

These people are filth.
  • Sponsored links:

• Cut their bloody hands off!
  • done, so sorry to hear mate, hope you get sorted
  • Signed

It's about time toolmakers started to put a gps tracker or something in their machinery. I'm sure tradesmen would spend an extra £5 or £10 on a device that's built in to the tool if it meant they could be traced much more easily. This in turn would deter thieves from taking these and hopefully stop them nicking all other tools at the same time.

It's heartbreaking to see people work for years and years to amass their equipment just for some wanker to come and steal it all - more than likely just for a hit!
  • Scum. Brother and step dad are builders and have had tools nicked out of vans. Lovely to read of the justice being meted out to those caught.

If I was a billionaire like Batman I would have one day a week scheduled in for acts of vigilantism including hunting down these types and catching them in the act before going all reservoir dogs on them. Don't have the time or resources now to do it with my office work.
  • Swisdom said:

Signed

It's about time toolmakers started to put a gps tracker or something in their machinery. I'm sure tradesmen would spend an extra £5 or £10 on a device that's built in to the tool if it meant they could be traced much more easily. This in turn would deter thieves from taking these and hopefully stop them nicking all other tools at the same time.

It's heartbreaking to see people work for years and years to amass their equipment just for some wanker to come and steal it all - more than likely just for a hit!

This technology is just coming into play now. A guy I work with has drills that connect through his phone (as everything seems to nowadays) and won't wont work until you unlock them.
  • carlsberg said:

Swisdom said:

Signed

This technology is just coming into play now. A guy I work with has drills that connect through his phone (as everything seems to nowadays) and won't wont work until you unlock them.
    People will steal anything regardless of what safeguards you try to put in place. It's a sad but true fact. The only sure way of avoiding this grief is to clear the van every night and be vigilant during working hours.

The police might be sympathetic but you won't get too much help from them these days. There's not enough of them to deal with violent crime let alone what they would now consider petty theft.

Really sorry to hear this has happened to one of ours.

Some years ago I was putting up a shelf in a mates kitchen. I had finished and was loading the tools back into my car. I started to stack the gear by the front door to then load the car boot. I walked back into the kitchen to collect something else for what couldn't have been more than 15 seconds. When I came back my drill box had been nicked. 15 fucking seconds.

• carlsberg said:

Swisdom said:

Signed

People will steal anything regardless of what safeguards you try to put in place. It's a sad but true fact. The only sure way of avoiding this grief is to clear the van every night and be vigilant during working hours.

The police might be sympathetic but you won't get too much help from them these days. There's not enough of them to deal with violent crime let alone what they would now consider petty theft.

Really sorry to hear this has happened to one of ours.

Some years ago I was putting up a shelf in a mates kitchen. I had finished and was loading the tools back into my car. I started to stack the gear by the front door to then load the car boot. I walked back into the kitchen to collect something else for what couldn't have been more than 15 seconds. When I came back my drill box had been nicked. 15 fucking seconds.

I used to be astonished how opportunist and quick thieves were with work gear. Now it's just something that happens to workmen and another pain in the nutbag when it does, fortunately for me at least the tools I use for my job didn't cost me money, doesn't make it less of a nuisance.

Violence meted out swiftly and decisively is the only deterrent and as much as I'd like to beat the living shit out of all of them it's a bit impractical.
  • Signed, sorry to hear of your plight.

Does insurance cover this or is there the usual loophole?
  • edited October 2017
    It is amazing how in countries where these saddos are punished harshly, this sort of thing is rare. Signed by the way.
  • Sponsored links:

• Signed, sorry to hear of your plight.

Does insurance cover this or is there the usual loophole?

If stolen from a locked van it should do, not many do for 'open thefts' as the premium would be heavy.
  • It is amazing how in countries where these saddos are punished harshly, this sort of thing is rare. Signed by the way.

Really? Please tell where and what the stats are.
    I think in terms of theft here it's actually quite rare. It's just that it happens in a close community that passes info around.
    Having said that obviously it has a huge impact on the victims and is not to be dismissed lightly.
  • iainment said:

It is amazing how in countries where these saddos are punished harshly, this sort of thing is rare. Signed by the way.

I think in terms of theft here it's actually quite rare. It's just that it happens in a close community that passes info around.
    Having said that obviously it has a huge impact on the victims and is not to be dismissed lightly.
    No way is this sort of theft rare mate, in fact I don't think it has ever been so common
  • I'm part of an electricians page on Facebook which has thousands of members and posts like this come up multiple times every single day. Absolutely disgusting, the lowest of the low to steal the tools someone needs to put food on the table.

You'd be surprised how many people genuinely manage to locate their tools in places like bootfairs and them cash exchange shops
  • Only too pleased to sign.
  • It's ironic that the scumbags that steal these tools are typically lazy lowlife who don't want to work.
  • edited October 2017
    iainment said:

I think in terms of theft here it's actually quite rare. It just that it happens in a close community that passes info around.
    http://www.nationmaster.com/country-info/compare/Saudi-Arabia/United-Kingdom/Crime

You can make assumptions that certain crimes are rare if you're not affected by them or they aren't flavour of the month in the press.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/newsbeat/article/39744644/epidemic-of-van-tool-thefts-blamed-on-skeleton-key

BBC report stating a van broken into every 23 minutes. Far more prolific than the scooter scum smash and grab jewellery store thefts epidemic that affect a different class of society and are afforded far more coverage and attention (albeit more "eye catching" in terms of news).

• Really sorry to hear that mate. My son is a carpenter and has spent thousands of pounds on his tools and he is constantly telling me similar stories that he has heard so I know what a problem this is.

This won't help you but might make you feel a bit better. Absolute true story. When my son was doing his apprenticeship, one of the guys he was working for had his van broken into and his tools nicked.

The following Sunday, he went down to his local boot sale on the off chance the bloke who nicked them might be trying to sell them there. And sure enough there they were. He didn't say a word to the bloke but just went up to him and lumped him one. Bloke went down like a sack of potatoes. He just rolled the blanket up that his tools were on, explained to the people who were watching slightly aghast at what had happened what the situation was and just walked off with them.

Justice at its best.

Yeah that is justice at its best. Assuming of course the bloke selling them was the actual perpetrator and hadn't innocently bought them off the thief, blissfully unaware that he was handling stolen goods.
  • iainment said:

I think in terms of theft here it's actually quite rare. It just that it happens in a close community that passes info around.
    http://www.nationmaster.com/country-info/compare/Saudi-Arabia/United-Kingdom/Crime

You can make assumptions that certain crimes are rare if you're not affected by them or they aren't flavour of the month in the press.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/newsbeat/article/39744644/epidemic-of-van-tool-thefts-blamed-on-skeleton-key

BBC report stating a van broken into every 23 minutes. Far more prolific than the scooter scum smash and grab jewellery store thefts epidemic that affect a different class of society and are afforded far more coverage and attention (albeit more "eye catching" in terms of news).

Fair enough. The builders I know in the pub must be lucky then as I can't remember it ever coming up in conversation.
  • iainment said:

iainment said:

Fair enough. The builders I know in the pub must be lucky then as I can't remember it ever coming up in conversation.
    They're probably the ones nicking them :-)