Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Robinson praising Solly

edited October 2017 in General Charlton
Know many think he's had a mixed start to the season, but Robbo seems to be bigging up his input

"Sometimes there is a calming influence that a captain can bring to the dressing room. That can also be conversations with players who he phones up on a Saturday night or Sunday when they have had a bad game.

“I know people just look on the pitch but there is far more to being a captain than scoring a goal. Sols is a motivator among the group. He’s someone who is very clear what he wants from people and demands your total dedication to the badge."

"When Jacko was captain there were moments he could do something magical, like scoring a last-minute goal. It would be a captain’s performance. It’s harder at right-back to do that, but Sols has equally big moments with tackles that don’t overly get seen."

Full SLP interview HERE

Comments

• edited October 2017
    Which is, in a rather long winded way of saying he likes him!
  • Which is, in a rather somewhat long winded way of saying he likes him!

Robinson? long winded? Never!
  • Interesting interview that, never realised that John Humphrey had coached him at U-15 level
  • Is this like giving the manager the vote of confidence?
  • Sounds to me like Solly will no longer be first choice. Until January anyway.
  • The way Konsa played at Fleetwood he would be very unlucky to be dropped for our next game.
  • edited October 2017

The way Konsa played at Fleetwood he would be very unlucky to be dropped for our next game.

Agreed. Ditto Sarr if Konsa were moved back to the center.

It's a good point from Robinson, just because the captain isn't out there pointing and shouting or scoring last minute goals doesn't mean he's not a good captain. And I think it's good of Robinson to come out and praise his captain's efforts after a rough few games.

That said, I would start him on the bench against Doncaster. With the form he's shown this season (and he has had some good games, he's just been inconsistent), and with what Konsa showed at Fleetwood, I think our best defense doesn't involve Solly at the moment.
  • Sponsored links:

• SDAddick said:

The way Konsa played at Fleetwood he would be very unlucky to be dropped for our next game.

Agreed. Ditto Sarr if Konsa were moved back to the center.

It's a good point from Robinson, just because the captain isn't out there pointing and shouting or scoring last minute goals doesn't mean he's not a good captain. And I think it's good of Robinson to come out and praise his captain's efforts after a rough few games.

That said, I would start him on the bench against Doncaster. With the form he's shown this season (and he has had some good games, he's just been inconsistent), and with what Konsa showed at Fleetwood, I think our best defense doesn't involve Solly at the moment.
    Totally agree with you.
    Good point regarding Sarr also.
    Robinson now has options which can only be a good thing
  • Solly is spawning into Johnnie Jackson.

Even getting involved with setting up a kids academy down Gillingham (with Crofts and Robbie Elliott) and doing regular coaching
  • The way Konsa played at Fleetwood he would be very unlucky to be dropped for our next game.

Agreed but in the last few days Konsa has flown to Italy, and then played 90 minutes today. Robinson might decide he wants to play a fresh Solly this weekend. We have 3 league games in 7 days so i'm sure they'll both play a part.
    Yep, Oxford A on Tuesday.
  • Sounds to me like Solly will no longer be first choice. Until January anyway.

I don't agree. I do hope this means Robinson sees right back as a genuine competition between Solly and Konsa now, instead of defaulting to Solly because he's older and been at the club longer.

Also, as mentioned above, we have enough mid-week matches where I think both he and Konsa (or possibly Dijksteel) will get a run out.

Lastly, I hope Solly is made better for the competition. He hasn't had proper competition for his place since Motta and Fanni at the end of 2015. It's oversimplifying things, but his best seasons have been when he's had competition from the likes of Lawrie Wilson, Simon Francis, etc.
  • Still only 26. Genuinely surprised me as it seems he has been here for ever.

• Robinson puts Solly in shop window pending sale in January.
  • SDAddick said:

Sounds to me like Solly will no longer be first choice. Until January anyway.

I don't agree. I do hope this means Robinson sees right back as a genuine competition between Solly and Konsa now, instead of defaulting to Solly because he's older and been at the club longer.

Also, as mentioned above, we have enough mid-week matches where I think both he and Konsa (or possibly Dijksteel) will get a run out.

Lastly, I hope Solly is made better for the competition. He hasn't had proper competition for his place since Motta and Fanni at the end of 2015. It's oversimplifying things, but his best seasons have been when he's had competition from the likes of Lawrie Wilson, Simon Francis, etc.
    No, his best seasons were when he had knees
  • Sponsored links:

• Solly has had some good games and bad games this season. He hardly ever used to have a bad game, but at least he is still havingsome good ones.
  • Redrobo said:

Still only 26. Genuinely surprised me as it seems he has been here for ever.

Sadly his knees are 46
  • Redrobo said:

Which means we have another 8 to 10 years of threads and posts saying "I like Solly but his knees have gone, play (insert whichever player it is this month) instead"
    Don't worry, when Jacko is manager he'll make Solly his 1st team player/coach.

And Solly will play both League Cup games at LeftBack that season.

Where he would fail a medical...

Where he would fail a medical...
    Do we have any sort of concrete idea as to just how bad his knees are? I know he's had knee trouble for years but I've never seen that qualified in any way. Could someone give an overview of the How and What?
  • Redrobo said:

Which means we have another 8 to 10 years of threads and posts saying "I like Solly but his knees have gone, play (insert whichever player it is this month) instead"
    Except we won't because his knees are genuinely shot to bits, as has been reported by a number of managers. He apparently suffers from a condition like Ledley King had... though that could be BS, it's funny how Solly's injuries are always his knees.
  • Redrobo said:

Thats the role of the captain, with jacko it was constantly his legs have gone, now he has passed over the captains arm band and the declining lower limbs baton to Solly's knees.
  • Isn't Jackson still club captain?