Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Australia v Syria

1-1 approaching 40 minutes, Tim Cahill equalised after Syria took an early lead.

Comments

• So little interest here....football has steadily gone backwards in Australia in the last couple of years.
  • TEL said:

So little interest here....football has steadily gone backwards in Australia in the last couple of years.

Oh really TEL.....now that does surprise me!
  • TEL said:

So little interest here....football has steadily gone backwards in Australia in the last couple of years.

Really, why is that ?

Always assumed Australia was on a similar trajectory to the US with interest growing steadily, shame to hear that isn't the case.
  • Syria down to ten men
  • They were reporting tickets sales ahead of the game tonight to be around 40,000 in a 80,000 capacity stadium and they had to win or draw without conceding.....Football is very much a 4th or 5th rate sport here.

They struggle to keep any talented players in the A league.....Look where Mooy has come from...Wanderers and then Melbourne City to parent club Man City then Huddersfield...as soon as there is any talent it gets lost overseas to the bigger playing stage (and pay day) in Europe. We then get lumbered with stupid marquee players and I use that word lightly...with the likes of Owen and Fowler coming into that category in their dotage and that is supposed to make up for natural home grown talent. Its understandable that the public lose interest and you have to remember that Australians regularly change who they support to the team that's winning at the time, and that happens right across the different codes here.
  • TEL said:

We then get lumbered with stupid marquee players and I use that word lightly...with the likes of Owen and Fowler coming into that category in their dotage and that is supposed to make up for natural home grown talent.

From memory, Michael Owen never played in the A-League.
  • TEL said:

They were reporting tickets sales ahead of the game tonight to be around 40,000 in a 80,000 capacity stadium and they had to win or draw without conceding.....Football is very much a 4th or 5th rate sport here.

They struggle to keep any talented players in the A league.....Look where Mooy has come from...Wanderers and then Melbourne City to parent club Man City then Huddersfield...as soon as there is any talent it gets lost overseas to the bigger playing stage (and pay day) in Europe. We then get lumbered with stupid marquee players and I use that word lightly...with the likes of Owen and Fowler coming into that category in their dotage and that is supposed to make up for natural home grown talent. Its understandable that the public lose interest and you have to remember that Australians regularly change who they support to the team that's winning at the time, and that happens right across the different codes here.

as if I needed another reason to hate Australians...
    can I ask what the other reasons are?

• TEL said:

They were reporting tickets sales ahead of the game tonight to be around 40,000 in a 80,000 capacity stadium and they had to win or draw without conceding.....Football is very much a 4th or 5th rate sport here.

The way they crow when they win, and hide when they lose, maybe?

I don't hate 'em by the way, but that trait is irritating... Match in extra time.
  • tim cahill again, 2-1 oz
  • Sponsored links:

• All over... 2-1 Australia
  • They will be crowing... :lol:
  • TEL said:

General Australian-ness is surely a good enough reason?

• General Australian-ness is surely a good enough reason?

Remind me to introduce you to my Mrs next time we are at the Valley :)

• Shame, Syria haven't had a lot to cheer about recently.

Plenty of reasons to not like the Aussies when it comes to sport.

40k for a game that big is a shocker for a sports mad country who celebrate beating England in a friendly back in 2003.

40k for a game that big is a shocker for a sports mad country who celebrate beating England in a friendly back in 2003.

Its a shame that Australia didnt get through automatic Qualification (instead of Saudi Arabia) in the last round

This is one of those games where I want to see both winning
  • They got piped by the footballing power house of Saudi Arabia? Magic!
  • They got piped by the footballing power house of Saudi Arabia? Magic!

Got beaten on Goal Difference...
  • TEL said:

General Australian-ness is surely a good enough reason?

Remind me to introduce you to my Mrs next time we are at the Valley :)

How is Sheila?
  • Syria down to ten men

Literally.
  • Sponsored links:

• Opened this thread expecting to read that the Aussies had just declared war on the Middle East.... then found out it was only about football. I'll have to read the category first.
  • Macronate said:

They got piped by the footballing power house of Saudi Arabia? Magic!

World Cup 2018

England 0 1 Saudi Arabia

Henderson OG
    Chillingly possible... :unamused:
  • TEL said:

Oh really TEL.....now that does surprise me!
    It's why our overlords are failing to sell to an Aussie consortium. - Pure conjecture before anyone asks!

Worst winners on the planet, and also the worst losers.
  • Macronate said:

They got piped by the footballing power house of Saudi Arabia? Magic!

World Cup 2018

England 0 1 Saudi Arabia

Henderson OG
    "I thought the boys showed great character out there against tough opponents, and didn't let their heads drop after we went behind..."
    Or even worse... England 0 Australia 1.
  • TEL said:

Careful....or you’ll have Henry after you for being racist!
  • I often find that with the Aussies they only get beaten if they have played badly and not because the opponents have played well.
    The Rugby World Cup Final in Sydney being a most glaring example.
    Shane Warne is most pleasantly a noticeable exception to this though it must be said.