Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Wishbone Ash

Any fans? Just picked up Argus after knowing nothing and reading about them.They seem to have slipped out of critical and commercial favour despite being pretty big in the 70s. Anyone know much about them, seen them or have any recommendations?

Comments

• Argus was for me, a great album.

I’ve never seen them but know they do still tour, not sure if it’s the same line up and have often been tempted to get tickets.
  • Blowing Free .. an English classic .. I saw them last summer .. I'm not sure how many original members are still in the band .. whatever, they gave a good show, great musicianship and not too many self indulgent geetar workouts
  • I've got that album..:)
  • I've got that album..:)

me too
  • I saw them back in the 70's at the Hammersmith. I can't say they left a lasting impression on me.
  • One of the best of that time, but unlike many bands of that era, their music has not worn well imo. It sounds very unproduced and light now.
  • There touring shortly if not alrready. Saw them last year, they were superb... Over 2 hour show...
  • Best track on thatr album is throw down the sword.... Superb band time hasn't aged them at all.
  • Big fan of them in the day, got Argus. Also like Wishbone Four, the album after that, especially the opening track with explosive slide guitar, but then they lost their mojo. I think there are two bands using the name nowadays so there is not one band with all the same lineup.
  • Great band. Also saw them a couple of years back and very good and entertaining. This was Martin Turner's version of the band.
  • Sponsored links:

• Saw Martin Turner's Wishbone Ash at Ramblin Man this year. Very good
  • i saw them several times about 30years ago ---loved Argus andFUBB
  • I had one album (Argus I think?) and played it a lot, then got tired of it. Became more of a Roxy, Bowie fan.
  • Still occasionally give Argus an airing and mentioned Blowin' Free in the recent guitar info thread. Only saw them once in an ear-splitting gig at The Marquee in 1973, the loudest I ever attended.
  • Seen them lots of times.....even saw them play at Catford back in the 90's....great band, got most of their stuff up until mid 90's
  • They were ok, but there were - to my mind - many better when they were in their pomp.
  • Seen them 4 times. Oval Fairfield Halls with the 'classic' line up and then Andy Powell and Martin turner versions in more recent times. Argus remains one of my favourite albums and regularly gets a play. Very rarely play earlier stuff so understand why they are not that popular.
  • Best track on thatr album is throw down the sword.... Superb band time hasn't aged them at all.

That track is supposed to have been especially influential, because of the closing guitar solo duet/duel - call it what you will. However, some people say the duet is not Ted and Andy, but Andy and Andy, because Ted couldn't come up with a suitable part, so Andy played two solos. It certainly sounds like Andy twice to me.

That track is supposed to have been especially influential, because of the closing guitar solo duet/duel - call it what you will. However, some people say the duet is not Ted and Andy, but Andy and Andy, because Ted couldn't come up with a suitable part, so Andy played two solos. It certainly sounds like Andy twice to me.
    Interesting...saw them live a little while ago and that track was superb live,
  • Cheers all - had a feeling there might be some fans on here. Where to go next after Argus? Their discography and line-up changes are both pretty unwieldy.
  • Sponsored links:

• edited October 2017

Cheers all - had a feeling there might be some fans on here. Where to go next after Argus? Their discography and line-up changes are both pretty unwieldy.

My dad is a huge fan, I've seen them live a lot of times growing up. I'd suggest going for their self titled debut. The track Phoenix is a classic that they still play live.

I didn't realise until recently that Storm Thorgerson (of Pink Floyd fame) did the artwork for a lot of the early Wishbone Ash albums.
  • Cheers all - had a feeling there might be some fans on here. Where to go next after Argus? Their discography and line-up changes are both pretty unwieldy.

Try Four, the next one after Argus. Some good tracks on there, So Many Things to Say is a favourite of mine.

That was the last one with the same lineup as on Argus, I think, but @Chippycafc may be able to correct me ( especially if he looks it up on a Wikipedia :-)))) sorry, Chips, just a little joke)

Try Four, the next one after Argus. Some good tracks on there, So Many Things to Say is a favourite of mine.

That was the last one with the same lineup as on Argus, I think, but @Chippycafc may be able to correct me ( especially if he looks it up on a Wikipedia :-)))) sorry, Chips, just a little joke)
    Close it! ;)
  • RobRob
    edited October 2017
    Their first album was very good (Wishbone Ash). I seem to remember it won the Melody Maker album of the year back in 1971 or something like that. Handy and Phoenix on side 2 are both brilliant. Both of them rocking for about 12 minutes. I would recommend a listen.