Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Do we Fear Silence?

I’m in MY local park, it’s a very beautiful park, I’m very lucky. Today there’s a run event taking place, how dare they;)

But does it have to have Cheer Leaders(why do we have to adopt shit from the good ‘ol U S of A) whooping and a hooping, blowing whistles and klaxons. Yes I know it’s meant to encourage!

Of course some noise is unavoidable, traffic and some noise appropriate, nightclubbing, football matches, live music etc.,

Some noise is meant to give off a vibe, in shops and restaurants and make the experience more enjoyable, I don’t think it does,in this instance, in my humble opinion?Because of course the variety of people’s age passing through these environments will vary and that in itself will mean a lot of the music played won’t be liked?

What’s wrong with silence?

Of course noise is a distraction, meaning we often don’t have to think, particularly if ones thinking turns inwards and onto the big questions in life, that may be floating around in anyone’s head at any given time. And in some respects, I can get that.

Of course social media and the like is also a distraction and a different form of noise?

But do we need to be bombarded by noise all the time or seemingly all the time.

Is unnecessary Noise necessary or are we Fearful of Silence?

Comments

• edited October 2017
    I highly recommend this!...

• The first half of the England Slovenia game was pretty silent...

Actually genuine silence is a rarity, walk in the countryside and the noise of birds becomes more noticeable, while the odd car or farming noise really stands out
  • The first half of the England Slovenia game was pretty silent...

Actually genuine silence is a rarity, walk in the countryside and the noise of birds becomes more noticeable, while the odd car or farming noise really stands out

Very true about when in the countryside.

I just tried to find that clip from absolutely fabulous, when the pair of them are in the country and Joanna Lumley turns to Jennifer Saunders and says, “What’s all that deafening noise “
    and Jennifer replies “it’s called silence”
  • Yes. Silence is when I'm left alone with only my thoughts for company and it makes me uncomfortable.
  • In the bedroom, yes.
  • I highly recommend this!...

Thanks I’ll check it out.
  • Sponsored links:

• Many will say

Silence is golden or
    Silence is bliss

But actually to me

Silence is deafening
    Silence is lonely
    Silence is empty

One of my fears is loneliness, abandonment, of being alone with no-one in the world, and I associate silence with that sense of solitude.

It's why I have the radio on in my house when I'm home alone
  • I’m in MY local park, it’s a very beautiful park, I’m very lucky. Today there’s a run event taking place, how dare they;)

But does it have to have Cheer Leaders(why do we have to adopt shit from the good ‘ol U S of A) whooping and a hooping, blowing whistles and klaxons. Yes I know it’s meant to encourage!

Of course some noise is unavoidable, traffic and some noise appropriate, nightclubbing, football matches, live music etc.,

Some noise is meant to give off a vibe, in shops and restaurants and make the experience more enjoyable, I don’t think it does,in this instance, in my humble opinion?Because of course the variety of people’s age passing through these environments will vary and that in itself will mean a lot of the music played won’t be liked?

Of course noise is a distraction, meaning we often don’t have to think, particularly if ones thinking turns inwards and onto the big questions in life, that may be floating around in anyone’s head at any given time. And in some respects, I can get that.

Of course social media and the like is also a distraction and a different form of noise?

Haha, you seem so grumpy in your posts. Are you my dad?
  • Macronate said:

In the bedroom, yes.

You know necrophilia, is illegal?
  • Just come back early from what started out as a relaxing few beers and sardines in a beach bar in Malaga city. Thousands of years of evolution means I can screen out background conversations. But I have no chance against fucking wankers who think it is ok to listen to/watch music on their phones without using headphones. And then a mariachi band sets up two yards from where I am sitting! Nearly had a full on Larry David moment. As it is I think I have a fully developed plot for at least half an episode of Curb your Enthusiasm!
  • edited October 2017

I’m in MY local park, it’s a very beautiful park, I’m very lucky. Today there’s a run event taking place, how dare they;)

Haha, you seem so grumpy in your posts. Are you my dad?
    Yes, I am your dad and what time do you call this?

I think it’s called getting older or evolution.
  • SDAddick said:

Yes. Silence is when I'm left alone with only my thoughts for company and it makes me uncomfortable.

I can relate to that SD. Not so much the silence part, but the power of your thoughts and being alone. Sure enough, just when you're about to go to sleep, that's when it can hit you
  • I, for one, Enjoy the Silence! I find that words are very unnecessary.
  • I, for one, Enjoy the Silence! I find that words are very unnecessary.

Agreed... I know a few people who talk for the bloody sake of it and really wish they'd shut up so I can enjoy the silence sometimes
  • edited October 2017
    From a personal perspective, and to quote Dylan:

I haven't known peace and quiet for so long I've forgotten what it's like.

Once in a while it would be nice, but most of the time no.
  • Sponsored links:

• I haven’t heard silence in a long time - damn tinnitus.
  • I love going back to Leitrim in Ireland (size of Greater London with a population of 20,000) and walking up in the mountains. The silence is strange and in a weird way it "hurts" your ears or maybe your brain as its not processing noise.
  • Nothing wrong with a bit of silence.

Some people seem to have a compulsion to make some sort of noise whatever the circumstance.
  • SDAddick said:

Yes. Silence is when I'm left alone with only my thoughts for company and it makes me uncomfortable.

sam3110 said:

Many will say

Silence is golden or
    Silence is bliss

But actually to me

Silence is deafening
    Silence is lonely
    Silence is empty

One of my fears is loneliness, abandonment, of being alone with no-one in the world, and I associate silence with that sense of solitude.

It's why I have the radio on in my house when I'm home alone

I guess both these points are relevant for me but in truth, they’re only thoughts, emotions and perhaps loss (in my case ) but that’s all they are, not that that makes it any easier.

• cabbles said:

SDAddick said:

I can relate to that SD. Not so much the silence part, but the power of your thoughts and being alone. Sure enough, just when you're about to go to sleep, that's when it can hit you
    Oh yeah right before you fall asleep is the worst.

Living in hippie towns and cities I constantly come into contact with people who are big into yoga and meditation. And hey, more power to them. But I just can't do those things. To use the exercise analogy, to me running with music is the most relaxing thing in the world. To find a sort of peace or zen for me requires doing things that tire out the brain and body. It really helps to slow down my thoughts, and on a good day I think I get a similar peace and inner calm that people get through yoga or meditation. It will probably sound incredibly strange to a lot of people.

Again, this is not to knock people who can just walk or sit or meditate in silence and be at total peace. I wish I could do that. My brain just isn't wired like that.
  • edited October 2017

No.

I love they way you consider all the facts and your debating methods, and how you emphasise your reasoning in putting your point across Henry, you’ve certainly covered all the bases;)
    Answer is still no

• This being your 3rd post Martin in a matter of weeks where you seem to be at odds with your fellow man I think he should try living away from society - perhaps The Outer Hebrides or The Moon might suit your need for peace & quiet.
  • SDAddick said:

cabbles said:

SDAddick said:

Oh yeah right before you fall asleep is the worst.

Living in hippie towns and cities I constantly come into contact with people who are big into yoga and meditation. And hey, more power to them. But I just can't do those things. To use the exercise analogy, to me running with music is the most relaxing thing in the world. To find a sort of peace or zen for me requires doing things that tire out the brain and body. It really helps to slow down my thoughts, and on a good day I think I get a similar peace and inner calm that people get through yoga or meditation. It will probably sound incredibly strange to a lot of people.

Again, this is not to knock people who can just walk or sit or meditate in silence and be at total peace. I wish I could do that. My brain just isn't wired like that.
    I think that’s different though SD, what your doing is within your own personal space. Bit like driving down an open road at night, with yer favourite piece of car music up loud, I love that.

I’m thinking more of unnecessary noise. I mean who was the bright spark, who thought it would be a good idea, to play shite muzak while waiting to get through to someone on the phone. It’s never “London Calling” by The Clash or “My Life in the Bush of Ghosts” Byrne/Eno but some dross and it’s always guaranteed to make me hang up, maybe that’s what they’re hoping for?
  • This being your 3rd post Martin in a matter of weeks where you seem to be at odds with your fellow man I think he should try living away from society - perhaps The Outer Hebrides or The Moon might suit your need for peace & quiet.

I think you might be right, goodbye cruel world.
  • As I am going a bit deaf, yes