Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Best voice in the 60'/

Just heard the Walker Brothers singing My ship is coming in.
For me Scott Walker had the best Male voice followed by Robert Plant although he would be tops for me in the 70's.
For the Ladies for me it has to be Dusty?

Comments

• Can't argue with Scott Walker. Love his solo stuff.

Chris Farlowe can belt them out as well.

For me though Steve Marriott of the Small Faces has one of the best rock voices the UK has ever produced. Check out the song "Tin Soldier"
  • Agree with Dusty
  • The peanuts seller in Floyd road had a good voice
  • edited October 2017
    Useless fact of the day. The Walker Brothers were not Brothers. In fact none of them were even originally called Walker. Scott Engel, John Maus and Gary Leeds were unrelated but all used the Walker name.

Second useless fact. Mrs cafcfan's sister called one of her kids Scott because she was a fan.
  • Eric Burdon
    Steve Winwood
  • Roy Orbison
  • Frank Sinatra, tony Bennett, nat king cole were still around so if it's a best voice competition then they'd win it hands down though that chap Elvis might give them a run for their money
  • Sponsored links:

• Macronate said:

First name that came in to my head was Steve Marriott.

Same here, my ultimate front man from that era.
    Another vote for Marriott from me. Robert Plant was a bit of a Small Faces groupie and based his delivery on Stevie.
  • bobmunro said:

Frank Sinatra, tony Bennett, nat king cole were still around so if it's a best voice competition then they'd win it hands down though that chap Elvis might give them a run for their money

Add Matt Monro to that list - the best singer in the world according to Frank Sinatra.
    Forgot about him.

I did originally think tom jones but to me he's one of those singers that got better with age, hence probably why the three i mentioned made my list.
  • bobmunro said:

Frank Sinatra, tony Bennett, nat king cole were still around so if it's a best voice competition then they'd win it hands down though that chap Elvis might give them a run for their money

Add Matt Monro to that list - the best singer in the world according to Frank Sinatra.
    Forgot about him.

I did originally think tom jones but to me he's one of those singers that got better with age, hence probably why the three i mentioned made my list.
    I would certainly include the three you listed, but Matt for me was the best of the crooners. I know a guy called Pete Williams very well (Robbie's dad!) and he used to tour with Matt in the 60s - some wonderful stories.

Add Sammy Davis Jr to the list as well.
  • Nilsson
  • Vote for Roy Orbison.
  • Elkie Brooks - Pearl's a Singer.

Still going strong and touring.

She could have the top of off my egg any day!
  • bobmunro said:

Perry Como
  • Steve Marriott
    Marvin Gaye
    Diana Ross
  • Jimi Hendrix
  • Sponsored links:

• bobmunro said:

Macronate said:

First name that came in to my head was Steve Marriott.

Same here, my ultimate front man from that era.
    Another vote for Marriott from me. Robert Plant was a bit of a Small Faces groupie and based his delivery on Stevie.
    If you listen to some of the live Humble Pie recordings, he was outstanding. One group I would love to have seen.
  • Van Morrison, Rod Stewart, Roger Daltrey for UK singers

• Dusty Springfield
    Elvis Presley
  • Eric Burdon
    Nina Simone
  • DA9 said:

Matt Monro, best Bond song ever

Not forgetting The Italian Job, - On Days Like This , simply brilliant, always sends a shiver down my spine.
  • edited October 2017
    Andy Williams
    Sam Cooke
    Tom Jones
    Etta James
    Marvin Gaye

Take yer pick!
  • Levi Stubbs.
  • Sam Cooke for me. Haven't heard a soul voice come close.
  • Sinatra, no one comes close, ever.