Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Is what BetVictor (and other betting companies) do legal?

edited September 2017 in General Charlton
Anyone know on this, as it looked to me there were some severe naughties going on last night.

BetVictor tweeted last night

This was 'backed' at the same time by what proved to be a fake journo twitter account. Combination of the two created a bit of noise, which seemed to lead to people putting money on the 'deal'

BetVictor show this momentum by stating

Only indication in any of this being close was from BetVictor and the fake journo account.

So was what they were doing legal? I've no idea, and not suggesting they were directly responsible for the fake coverage, but in a broader sense it looks a very thin line of ethically responsible to me.

Comments

• Bookmakers should not be giving out anything that could constitute a "tip". Clear conflict of interest. Dunno about the legality, but morally what they did with Godden last night was very out of order.
  • Can they trace the fake account?
    I was going suggest the full weight of the law fall on this twat,but a damn fine shoe-ing would suffice.
  • edited September 2017
    Suppose they could claim that they're not forcing you to make a bet on their recommendation.

Definitely out of order though as they're egging you on with false information
  • I doubt it's breaking any laws but morally it's completely wrong. I have no problem with gambling or bookmakers (as a concept), I think people should only bet if they have knowledge of the sport they are betting on and understand how the betting system works.

Unfortunately a huge number of people don't. Why anyone would bet on a transfer happening is beyond stupid (unless you actually know the player/agent etc.). The problem is that bookmakers are taking advantage of those who don't know any better.
  • LouisMend said:

As I am a sad, sad man - I've emailed the gambling commission this morning for their views on this as this wound me up last night (and no I didn't bet on it)

I'll let you know it I get anything back.

good man, I think the same, was well out of order.

No problem with them tweeting saying he had backed into 1/4 from 2/1, but not where they talk about him being spotted at Charlton.

If you knew someone had been spotted at a particular ground/training ground etc, 2/1 would be decent value so what they did was hugely immoral. Clearly got the bets they wanted in and this can't be right?

• There are guidelines as to what they can and cannot advertise. Paddy Power have been fined numerous times for breaking guidelines.

I think if anyone did kick up a stink Betvictor would refund anyway - it's not as if they would let you have more than a tenner on this because, for all they know, you might be close to him or his agent. A certain manager with a penchant for betting (though claims he knows nothing about it) proved that when making one of his managerial moves.
  • Iirc I think I remember seeing some one tweet them asking for odds on matt goodden signing, maybe they can then promote it after some ones asked?
  • Iirc I think I remember seeing some one tweet them asking for odds on matt goodden signing, maybe they can then promote it after some ones asked?

Wouldn't be hard to set that up themselves though, would it.

Defiantly seems dodgy, creating their own rumours to drive bets.
  • Sponsored links:

• The biggest issue for me here is the use of the @MichaelWalshLDN account to drive false rumours.
    I can't see who would be sad enough to set something like that up other that a teenager who has nothing better to do with his time.
    Just another reason you should never trust anything on twitter.
  • Laddick01 said:

The biggest issue for me here is the use of the @MichaelWalshLDN account to drive false rumours.
    I can't see who would be sad enough to set something like that up other that a teenager who has nothing better to do with his time.
    Just another reason you should never trust anything on twitter.

Whats worse is he says on his Bio that he's 32... I hope thats fake to make it sound more credible because I can not understand why someone around my age would want to bother doing that with their spare time
  • bobmunro said:

Anybody who acts on a tip from a bookmaker deserves to lose money!

Yours sincerely

Tight-mouthed Larry!!

You should never make a bet to make money, just do it to make things a bit more interesting, I always write off whatever money I'm betting with immediately. If I win anything it makes it an even bigger bonus.
  • bobmunro said:

Yours sincerely

Tight-mouthed Larry!!

You should never make a bet to make money, just do it to make things a bit more interesting, I always write off whatever money I'm betting with immediately. If I win anything it makes it an even bigger bonus.
    Totally agree.
  • Ethics and bookmaking are not usually closely associated. I'm certain that they are not regulated anywhere near enough.
  • bobmunro said:

Yours sincerely

Tight-mouthed Larry!!

Yep, agreed. My two quid a week is safe from shit like this.
  • edited September 2017
    It sounds to me like a straightforward matter of fraud by false representation as set out in section 2 of the Fraud Act 2006

2 Fraud by false representation

(1)A person is in breach of this section if he—
    (a)dishonestly makes a false representation, and
    (b)intends, by making the representation—
    (i)to make a gain for himself or another, or
    (ii)to cause loss to another or to expose another to a risk of loss.
    (2)A representation is false if—
    (a)it is untrue or misleading, and
    (b)the person making it knows that it is, or might be, untrue or misleading.
    (3)“Representation” means any representation as to fact or law, including a representation as to the state of mind of—
    (a)the person making the representation, or
    (b)any other person.
    (4)A representation may be express or implied.
    (5)For the purposes of this section a representation may be regarded as made if it (or anything implying it) is submitted in any form to any system or device designed to receive, convey or respond to communications (with or without human intervention).

So, for those complaining, I'd double your odds of somebody doing something and report it to the plod on Action Fraud too, citing the above legislation. (Note that the "and" for 2(1)(a) and (b) is conjunctive but the "or" between (2)(1)(b)(i) and (ii) isn't. Also because of the word "expose", it shouldn't matter whether a bet was placed with BetVictor; with another firm; or at all as long as both legs of (2)(2) are true.)
  • cafcfan said:

It sounds to me like a straightforward matter of fraud by false representation as set out in section 2 of the Fraud Act 2006

2 Fraud by false representation

(1)A person is in breach of this section if he—
    (a)dishonestly makes a false representation, and
    (b)intends, by making the representation—
    (i)to make a gain for himself or another, or
    (ii)to cause loss to another or to expose another to a risk of loss.
    (2)A representation is false if—
    (a)it is untrue or misleading, and
    (b)the person making it knows that it is, or might be, untrue or misleading.
    (3)“Representation” means any representation as to fact or law, including a representation as to the state of mind of—
    (a)the person making the representation, or
    (b)any other person.
    (4)A representation may be express or implied.
    (5)For the purposes of this section a representation may be regarded as made if it (or anything implying it) is submitted in any form to any system or device designed to receive, convey or respond to communications (with or without human intervention).

So, for those complaining, I'd double your odds of somebody doing something and report it to the plod on Action Fraud too, citing the above legislation. (Note that the "and" for 2(1)(a) and (b) is conjunctive but the "or" between (2)(1)(b)(i) and (ii) isn't. Also because of the word "expose", it shouldn't matter whether a bet was placed with BetVictor; with another firm; or at all as long as both legs of (2)(2) are true.)

Better to raise the complaint with the UK Gambling Commission who regulate Victor's UK business - licence number 000-039576-R-319370-007
  • Sponsored links:

• WSS said:

I don't know why any business would want to be involved in a betting company or promote them...

A bookie gives me a £10 free bet every week asking for odds on stuff because I have a lot of followers on Twitter but I feel for anyone who punted on Godden yesterday and was completely stitched up, you can't trust bookies, if they 'knew' he was signing for Charlton they would have offered less than 2/1, they baited people
  • Sky Sports News push out fake rumours, then divvy people lump on money using Sky bet. Win win as half hour later they confirm 'a deal is off'
  • iamdan said:

Sky Sports News push out fake rumours, then divvy people lump on money using Sky bet. Win win as half hour later they confirm 'a deal is off'

You won't get a bet bigger than a tenner with those jokers.
  • Nice one @LouisMend hadn't read your tweets when posting this.
  • edited September 2017
    iamdan said:

Sky Sports News push out fake rumours, then divvy people lump on money using Sky bet. Win win as half hour later they confirm 'a deal is off'

I dont believe this!, SKY would never do anything that was dishonest or immoral, you should be ashamed of yourself, how dare you besmerch the unsullied reputation of NewsCorp and that nice Mr Murdoch?.
  • iamdan said:

But Sky Bet now has precious little to do with Sky itself. It's 80% owned by CVC Capital Partners (a US private equity firm headquartered in Luxembourg, natch). Sky still hold a small stake and still licence use of the name though.

In other news though, Bookmakers feature heavily in MPs' list of members interests it seems. bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-41027964
  • When I used to write a blog I was approached by a bookies and offered money to write about what I was betting on and provide a link to their site recommending that people gamble with them.
  • When I used to write a blog I was approached by a bookies and offered money to write about what I was betting on and provide a link to their site recommending that people gamble with them.

It's called affiliate marketing and accounts for significant new player recruitment for bookmakers (and many other industries) - it's used on this site with Google Ad Words and goes a way to pay for the site.

It's the way of the internet and very big business for affiliates - friends of mine just sold their affiliate operation for £16 million!!
  • @LouisMend did you get a response from the gambling commission?

I note Robinson saying yesterday Gooden wasn't with us on TDD