Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

England vs Slovenia & Lithuania

Anyone going to this?

I've got tickets but the tube strike is on and it looks pretty much impossible to get there without much palaver

Comments

• when is it Moo Too ?
  • Cant believe that Harry Winks has been called up to the England squad... Barely gets a game for Spurs!!

Fraid it looks like we've returned to big club mentality when selecting players
  • Tube strike has been called off.
  • WSS said:

Tube strike has been called off.

Has it!? Sweeeeet
  • when is it Moo Too ?

Thursday
  • On another note seen the U21s have called up Jack Harrison who's playing for New York City after emigrating at the age of 13 (previously with Man Utd).

Dont know if you watch the MLS @SDAddick but is this kid any good do you know, does he have the potential to make it for the Seniors / come back to England or will the MLS stunt his progression?
  • Didnt he break his leg or some other bad injury near the end of last season. Looks a promising player.
  • edited October 2017

On another note seen the U21s have called up Jack Harrison who's playing for New York City after emigrating at the age of 13 (previously with Man Utd).

Dont know if you watch the MLS @SDAddick but is this kid any good do you know, does he have the potential to make it for the Seniors / come back to England or will the MLS stunt his progression?

I know he's quite highly regarded at NYCFC, and at 20 or whatever he is he's played a lot of first team games (50+), which he wouldn't get in England. He's also playing under Patrick Vieira, who previously managed City's U21s, and is very highly regarded within the City Group--so much so he was given the NYCFC job to keep him within "the network" instead of risking losing him to a Prem or Championship team.

The bits I've seen of him he looks to have a little bit of something special about him, but he can be erratic and blows hot and cold. Roughly what you'd expect from a young winger/attacker. I think he's worth having a look at in the England youth set-up. I don't see him as having the upside to go on to get 50 England caps, but it also wouldn't surprise me if he's playing regularly in the Premier League in a couple years. A decent young player at this point.
  • Sponsored links:

• edited October 2017
    SDAddick said:

On another note seen the U21s have called up Jack Harrison who's playing for New York City after emigrating at the age of 13 (previously with Man Utd).

I know he's quite highly regarded at NYCFC, and at 20 or whatever he is he's played a lot of first team games (50+), which he wouldn't get in England. He's also playing under Patrick Vieira, who previously managed City's U21s, and is very highly regarded within the City Group--so much so he was given the NYCFC job to keep him within "the network" instead of risking losing him to a Prem or Championship team.

The bits I've seen of him he looks to have a little bit of something special about him, but he can be erratic and blows hot and cold. Roughly what you'd expect from a young winger/attacker. I think he's worth having a look at in the England youth set-up. I don't see him as having the upside to go on to get 50 England caps, but it also wouldn't surprise me if he's playing regularly in the Premier League in a couple years. A decent young player at this point.
    Just to add to this, just had a quick look at the U21 and U20s rosters and I'd probably have him toward the top of the U20s forwards/attackers but certainly at the bottom of the U21s in terms of ability and upside. Given he was called up to replace Sheyi Ojo (lots of potential, very erratic), I think Harrison is there on merit. With the exception of Patrick Roberts, who I think is injured, there is no one that screams out to me as being more worthy of the call-up than Harrison.
  • Cant believe that Harry Winks has been called up to the England squad... Barely gets a game for Spurs!!

Fraid it looks like we've returned to big club mentality when selecting players

Not many English central midfielders about
  • Winks is a good player - the times ive seen him hes been very impressive, an old head on young shoulders.
  • Captain Kane.

Jeez, I remember when he scored deflected free-kick against Villa to get him up and running and then Poch dropped Soldado next game.
    Seems like a world away now.
  • SDAddick said:

SDAddick said:

Just to add to this, just had a quick look at the U21 and U20s rosters and I'd probably have him toward the top of the U20s forwards/attackers but certainly at the bottom of the U21s in terms of ability and upside. Given he was called up to replace Sheyi Ojo (lots of potential, very erratic), I think Harrison is there on merit. With the exception of Patrick Roberts, who I think is injured, there is no one that screams out to me as being more worthy of the call-up than Harrison.
    Would like to see Phil Foden called up for the U20's he looked mustard in city's preseason friendlies, ran a few games from midfield against some good sides.
  • If Harry Winks can replace the useless Jordan Henderson I will be more than happy .
  • edited October 2017
    Got my tickets looking forward to it after missing the previous home match.

Expect the job to be done tomorrow and plenty of changes for Sunday.

Disappointed that we will probably see two holding CM's again with Henderson and Dier. However, we don't have fit alternatives in the squad, Harry Winks isn't probably ready yet but excited to see him in the future.
  • Sponsored links:

• edited October 2017

SDAddick said:

SDAddick said:

Would like to see Phil Foden called up for the U20's he looked mustard in city's preseason friendlies, ran a few games from midfield against some good sides.
    He looks a real special one, doesn't he? And Pep clearly rates him as well.

I've noticed a pattern that the England youth setup these days can be very reluctant to move a player up a level or two, even if they're good enough. I think there's a real conscious effort to keep age groups together and move them up together. The current U-21s who are largely made up of the U-20 World Cup winning team were also largely the U-17 Euro winners in 2014 (I think it was). Before the U20 tournament I thought there were two or three (Woodman, Solanke, Cook) who could have been pushed up a level. But, with the exception of Tammy Abraham who was moved up because of the dearth of youth strikers for the U21s, that group of players was kept largely intact. And they'll now be reunited with the likes of Abraham, Izzy Brown, Kasey Palmer, Patrick Roberts and Joe Gomez, all of whom (I believe) were a part of the U17 Euros win.

It'll be interesting to see if it pays off. The thinking is clearly that, by the time these lads get to the senior set up they'll be very used to playing with each other, and as such, hopefully things will be easier at senior level. I think it's a good strategy to at least try. The early signs are good with this group that are now U21s. I'd argue that the group that won the U20 World Cup is not the best England youth team in the last 10ish years (particularly because they were missing Brown, Palmer, Roberts, Gomez, and Abraham), but there was clearly a lot of familiarity there. I just think of how many times Kenny ran up the right flank and Kieren Dowell tucked in only to play a reverse ball to him. Or how well Solanke and Calvert-Lewin interchanged.
  • JohnBoyUK said:

Captain Kane.

Jeez, I remember when he scored deflected free-kick against Villa to get him up and running and then Poch dropped Soldado next game.

Kane's rise has been pretty special. I don't think anyone really picked him out a potential superstar when he was a youngster, but here is now one of the best in his position in Europe. Just goes to show, you should never totally write a player off, and fair play to Spurs they do seem to give their kids longer to develop than a lot of teams.
  • Kane, Rashford and Alli are exciting prospects for sure.
  • edited October 2017
    I just hope we win one big competition in my lifetime. What a day that would be. Here in London would be an incredible place to be. I'm allowed to dream!
  • I can't think of anything i care less about.

If they do qualify it will be a fucking embarassment.
  • Kane, Rashford and Alli are exciting prospects for sure.

Kane's gone beyond 'prospect' for me now, he's proving himself to be the real deal.
  • JohnBoyUK said:

Captain Kane.

Kane's rise has been pretty special. I don't think anyone really picked him out a potential superstar when he was a youngster, but here is now one of the best in his position in Europe. Just goes to show, you should never totally write a player off, and fair play to Spurs they do seem to give their kids longer to develop than a lot of teams.
    I remember seeing him at youth levels for England in thoroughly underwhelming teams. He and Ross Barkley were usually picked as the "ones to watch," but Kane never really looked like anything particularly special. I think I still have that bias about him, an attitude of "meh, he's good but..." which is pretty much impossible to justify at this point.

It's an interesting comparison with Barkley. Barkley always looked naturally very gifted, but the big problem with him was always "what does he do with that talent." I want to say 3-4 years on he still really has that problem.
  • Kane is brilliant. The only England player who would have a chance of getting into a top European team.
  • Forgot this wasn't a Charlton thread and got confused there