Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

CL's Favourite Albums (Featuring The Stone Roses and Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band)

Album Name: The Stone Roses
Artist: The Stone Roses
Release Year: 1989

Track Listing

1. I Wanna Be Adored
2. She Bangs the Drums
3. Waterfall
4. Don't Stop
5. Bye Bye Badman
6. Elizabeth My Dear
7. (Song for My) Sugar Spun Sister
8. Made of Stone
9. Shoot You Down
10. This Is the One
11. I Am the Resurrection

After forming in 1983, The Stone Roses' debut LP was released by Silvertone Records in 1989.

The album initially received mixed reviews and was a slow mover in the charts, eventually climbing to number 19 after the band's debut performance on Top of the Pops and the success of Fools Gold (although not actually on the album, the track was included on the U.S. release and as a bonus track on subsequent re-releases).

Retrospective reviews were somewhat more favourable than the initial critiques from the music world and the album is considered to be one of the greatest British albums of all time and often credited with setting the tone for rock music in the U.K. in the 1990s.

I quite liked the following story. One of the less favourable American reviews of the album praised the band for its eclecticism and I thought this captured their broad influences as well as the impact made by the band across the genres (and the picture it created in my head made me chuckle):

nicked from wiki:
Run–D.M.C. sampled the bassline and drum beat of "Fools Gold" for their hit "What's It All About?" in 1990. Ian Brown eventually met Reverend Run in 1999 and in an interview with Q magazine, Ian recalled their meeting: "I actually met Reverend Run at a party a few years ago and I was going to go up to him and say, 'Look you don't know me but I was in this band called The Stone Roses and you sampled us.' Before I even got over there, he pointed at me, made his hands into the shape of a guitar and just did the riff- 'bom-bom-bom, bom, ba-na-na-na-na-nom, ba-na-na-na-nom.' I was buzzin'. He had the full priest's outfit on an' all. What a genius."

Album Name: Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band
Artist: The Beatles
Release Year: 1967

Track Listing

1. Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band
2. With a Little Help from My Friends
3. Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds
4. Getting Better
5. Fixing a Hole
6. She's Leaving Home
7. Being for the Benefit of Mr. Kite!
8. Within You Without You
9. When I'm Sixty-Four
10. Lovely Rita
11. Good Morning Good Morning
12. Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band (Reprise)
13. A Day in the Life

The Beatles quit touring in 1966. Their last live performance being at Candlestick Park, San Francisco in August.

Some of their material from Revolver, released earlier that year, had incorporated some experimental ideas along with some of the more traditional elements of pop music and their departure form the live music scene enabled them to further develop their ideas and gain more creative freedom. The result, Sgt. Pepper.

It's well known that Pepper often tops greatest albums polls. However, The Stone Roses received three times as many votes on our initial count.

https://open.spotify.com/album/0um9FI6BLBldL5POP4D4Cw

https://open.spotify.com/album/1PULmKbHeOqlkIwcDMNwD4

Comments

• Definitely The Stone Roses; worth the vote for She Bangs the Drums on its own.
  • Theres no denying the importance of Sgt Pepper, one of the most experimental and ground breaking albums from probably the worlds greatest bands. Let's face it, the Beatles paved the way for a lot of what went since, including the stone roses.

So, thanks for that, and for letting the best album of the age happen.

Make no mistake, the stone roses is epic. No album in history starts with three better tracks than I Wanna Be Adored, She Bangs The Drums and Waterfall. They aren't even the best songs on the album... Made of Stone wins that. What about I am the Resurrection? A driving epic about love turning bitter with an instrumental of pure swagger. This is the One is THE arms aloft album. Even the album tracks like Sing for My Sugar Spun Sister, Bye Bye Badman and Shoot You Down are excellent. Crikey, the weird songs like Elizabeth my Dear and Don't Stop are better than songs on most albums, including the stranger moments of Sgt Pepper.

With all due respect, the winner by a mile is the Stone Roses
  • Have tried to like the Stones Roses album and it just doesn't hit me. Too rocky maybe and I don't like his voice.

Pepper is so revered it's hard to judge it fairly. It's not Revolver or Rubber soul, it's a lot of over indulgent hippie nonsense but it does have She's Leaving Home.

So SPLHCB by default.
  • Stone Roses without a shadow of doubt. I still play it at least once a week and have done now for 28 years!
  • The Stone Roses
  • Stone Roses album is a decent indie record that people of a certain age get very silly about. Sgt Pepper is a decent psych-rock album with 2 or 3 wonderful songs on it. I hereby vote Sgt Pepper.
  • Sgt Pepper, never quite "got" the adulation for the Roses, they're ok but not to the level of adulation I've sometimes seen
  • Sponsored links:

• Sgt Pepper.
  • Pepper for moi!
  • I like both, but if I had to choose, it would be Stone Roses
  • The Stone Roses
  • The Stone Roses - the most overrated band of all time.

Pepper, easily.
  • Sgt Pepper.
    A landmark album
  • The Stone Roses all day long, love the Beatles though
  • stone roses, just such a good album, like others i listen to at least once a week if not more.
  • Sponsored links:

• [Copied from post by @Henry Irving as it saves me typing]

Have tried to like the Stones Roses album and it just doesn't hit me. Too rocky maybe and I don't like his voice.

Pepper is so revered it's hard to judge it fairly. It's not Revolver or Rubber Soul, it's a lot of over indulgent hippie nonsense but it does have She's Leaving Home.

So SPLHCB by default.

[I also like Getting Better & Day In The Life]
  • Sgt Pepper for me.
    Neither of them would be one of my desert island discs. Both excellent but not personal favourites, so Sgt Pepper for the raw experimental creativity of the album from a group eager to develop.
  • Sgt Pepper
  • Really tough choice, both brilliant albums.

Stone Roses edges it for me.
  • Grew up on Sgt Peppers Dad was a massive Beatles fan love the album (thanks Dad) but the Roses wins for me
  • Pepper over here also.
  • Love them both dearly, as should every right thinking person who claims to enjoy music :wink: , I think the only people who could really judge would be those that were old enough to have been there when SPLHCB was released, and understood the impact it made. Sadly I was only 2 at the time.

However, with a gun to my head, Sgt Pepper for me.
  • Sgt Pepper. To me no contest, most influential groundbreaking album ever. And still listenable and still resonating in music I hear from now.
  • Both cracking albums! Neither album is something I listen to regularly, but they'll get a bit more playtime in the rotations now, I think.

I've almost actively avoided them both, I suppose, given quite how much reverence is afforded to each album, so hopefully I'm in a good place to judge.

The Beatles were so inventive in their use of harmony (by which I mean in terms of "music theory" rather than vocal harmonies, but they're also pretty great); instrumentation; and were always lyrically interesting. It all comes together (excuse the pun) on SPLHCB - as an album it almost *had* to happen, it seems.

On the other hand, Stone Roses is so evocative of how I've felt at various points in my life - either about myself, or about a girl, or what I aspire to. The style and minimalist choice of instrumentation is a big contrast to the Beatles, yet is still very powerful. It has a quality I can't distil.

I'm just - JUST - gonna have to go Sgt. Pepper's on this one. And it's only the most marginal of personal preferences that swings it, which for me comes down to the Beatles' inventiveness in musical theory.

Really tough despite two such different albums!