Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Fosu - Who is responsible for signing this lad?

Comments

• We cannot judge a player on a handful of decent games, just as we must not do so on a handful of chuff games.

I truly hope however he will continue dishing out performances that will keep Reeves and Marshall having to work for contention.
  • What I like about him the most is that he appears to a good left foot as well as a right, and isn't afraid to use it which means it will only get better. What every standard you play the game at, if a player can play off either foot, it's an absolute nightmare for defenders. A easy comparison to make with another player is Callum Harriott as obviously he went the other way a year or so before and for the fact that Fosu can go either way for me makes his potential a lot higher than Harriott. Long way to go and he will have dips, its just about how he copes with them. Great hatrick on Saturday and hopefully more to come.
  • I think he will get better. We have to remember that he has come to us to play football and there is still a learning process attache dto that. What the lad has is natural ability on the ball. When to shoot and when to pass, what runs are most effective, etc... are all things he will learn. A lot of players haven't got the intelligence to drop down to go up. I think all the signs are that this lad is going places. If we can get promoted this year, we might be able to have him going places with us as it would not be a good move to go to a Premiership club's reserve team, but the Championship will be his next step.
  • I think Fosu's best position will be as a number 10. But to become a better player he needs to play in different positions.
  • I think Fosu's best position will be as a number 10. But to become a better player he needs to play in different positions.

Hope Robinson isn’t reading this - he’ll have him goal next game.
  • One bad game and then we can start slagging him off again...

Or even if he doesn’t score more than 3 in his next game.
  • Harriott had this in him too, on a hot streak he was superb and can win you points on his own - just got to be able to take the rough and the smooth... which as a set of fans (and I'm sure we're like many, many others) we've generally proven that we can't do.
  • Sponsored links:

• edited October 2017

I think Fosu's best position will be as a number 10. But to become a better player he needs to play in different positions.

Hope Robinson isn’t reading this - he’ll have him goal next game.
    I'd put a striker in goal for a few games - not league games of course. If they know from experience what a goalkeeper is more or less comfortable with, it improves their game. For instance a first time scuff will often beat a keeper where as a little touch helps them to set.
  • Harriott had this in him too, on a hot streak he was superb and can win you points on his own - just got to be able to take the rough and the smooth... which as a set of fans (and I'm sure we're like many, many others) we've generally proven that we can't do.

Harriott in a bad game would completely give up. So far I'm yet to see Fosu give up.
  • LenGlover said:

Dazzler21 said:

Harriott had this in him too, on a hot streak he was superb and can win you points on his own - just got to be able to take the rough and the smooth... which as a set of fans (and I'm sure we're like many, many others) we've generally proven that we can't do.

Harriott in a bad game would completely give up. So far I'm yet to see Fosu give up.
    Have to disagree Daz.

Other than Wagstaff (in a league of his own as a hardworking winger if not the rest of his game) I'd say Harriott worked harder than any other winger we'd had since Robinson (that's John Robinson) prior to his (Harriott's) departure.

Ricky Holmes of course has come subsequently and has the workrate of Waggy and end product too.
    Yeah, I remember him as a bit of a harrier, sometimes looked to run out of ideas/confidence in the bad games, maybe - probably not helped by the booing when he gave it away. He was no Messi... despite the Twitter handle, but has bags of talent and like many youngsters was too streaky in form.

I'm not digging us out, that's football at the moment - a lack of patience (mainly Mr. Mendez to be fair) and booing just happen now. E.g. The instant "we're-not-winning-boo" at half-time followed by confused applause.

That said, treatment of homegrown youngsters in the first team (Fox, Harriott...) does get my goat. I consider us far from unique in that respect though.

Anyway - sorry, bringing it back to Fosu... looking quality at the moment, keep it up my son!!
  • I think Harriot had/has bags of ability but lacked a football brain to a degree. But that was agianst better defenders of course.
  • The way Fosu took his goals, he looked a natural goal scorer. Obviously he's had other matches where he's sent shots into the stand, but those were quality finishes, maybe he's the answer to our goal scoring striker problem if we ever play 442
  • The way Fosu took his goals, he looked a natural goal scorer. Obviously he's had other matches where he's sent shots into the stand, but those were quality finishes, maybe he's the answer to our goal scoring striker problem if we ever play 442

Or 3-5-2 for which we have all the players to deliver.
  • I think Fosu looks a good player, would still bite your hand off for Harriott back in league 1 though

Do we have a right wing back?
  • Sponsored links:

• One hat-trick and he's the answer.. before saturday he's been living in Holmes shadow, and against Wigan and Gillingham he looked like a lost little boy
  • Scoham said:

The way Fosu took his goals, he looked a natural goal scorer. Obviously he's had other matches where he's sent shots into the stand, but those were quality finishes, maybe he's the answer to our goal scoring striker problem if we ever play 442

Took the words out of my mouth.

And how do you squeeze Clarke, Holmes, and Fosu into that formation?

Who could you drop from the current team to play 352 though?
  • edited October 2017

I don't think he was going to play if Marshall had been fit. I suspect that this lack of opportunities is why Reading were unaware of what he could do.

IMO I don't believe Reading were totally unaware of Fosu's ability - he'd been there 13 years and very highly rated.
    Here was one local newspaper quote from 2015:

"One player who made a name for himself in front of the Sky cameras that day was Tariqe Fosu, the 19-year-old winger making his Reading debut from the bench after an injury to Jack Stacey. And what an impression he made, showing pace, skill, and a general freedom unseen in blue and white for many months."

Here's another quote from last June, confirming your suggestion that his path to the Reading 1st team was blocked:
    "With a number of wingers currently at the Madejski Stadium, it was hard to see Fosu having a part to play in the immediate the future, so the move makes sense for the youngster's career. Best of luck Tariqe!".

Fosu had been out on loan for the best part of the last 2 seasons, at Fleetwood, Accrington and Colchester,
    playing around 50 League & Cup games and scoring 10 goals.

He also won League 2 player of the month for April 2016.

• SDAddick said:

Scoham said:

The way Fosu took his goals, he looked a natural goal scorer. Obviously he's had other matches where he's sent shots into the stand, but those were quality finishes, maybe he's the answer to our goal scoring striker problem if we ever play 442

Certainly the 1st two and Marshall have been around long enough that I can't believe they haven't played there or RB in their time. Fosu would be the striker, or KAG in his correct role.
  • Really like him he was such a credit to the club when I was with him after the oldham game
  • SDAddick said:

Scoham said:

Certainly the 1st two and Marshall have been around long enough that I can't believe they haven't played there or RB in their time. Fosu would be the striker, or KAG in his correct role.
    Why not just go the whole hog and play a 2-2-5-1.

Fact is, when everyone is fit, we're going to have at least two very good attacking midfielders disappointed they're not starting as there is no formation that is going to be able to accommodate all of Fosu, Marshall, Clarke, Reeves, and Holmes without either stifling one or more of them by playing them out of position, or leaving the side so unbalanced that it likely wouldn't be effective as a whole anyway.

A good problem to have, but one KR is going to have to deal with.
  • As much as I enjoyed reading this thread and the Mortimer memories I must say he has never reminded me of him. God had this way of drifting past people and the odd twinkle toe moment (Bradford goal still gives me a sex wee). However I did say to my dad he reminded me of a better Lloyd Sam. With more pace and also two footed. But I also said to dad at the bury game that I could see him becoming the new scapegoat due to his decision making. Let's hope this buys him some time as like all wingers performances can dip from time to time.
  • As much as I enjoyed reading this thread and the Mortimer memories I must say he has never reminded me of him. God had this way of drifting past people and the odd twinkle toe moment (Bradford goal still gives me a sex wee). However I did say to my dad he reminded me of a better Lloyd Sam. With more pace and also two footed. But I also said to dad at the bury game that I could see him becoming the new scapegoat due to his decision making. Let's hope this buys him some time as like all wingers performances can dip from time to time.

Agree with this, Lloyd Sam is who he most reminds me of, albeit possibly a bit better than Sam.

From my memories, Morts had this effortless ability to go past people and was, when at his best, almost impossible to get the ball off without fouling, but his talent lay in just being able to shift the ball around the opponent before the tackle arrived, he was never one for multiple step overs and tricks. The magic of Morts was you weren't even sure quite how he was going past people, but he made it look so effortless.