Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Sky q

Hi sky deal re negotiations been offer sky q for same price I'm paying now.
What's people's opinions on it. Is the router any good as haven't got fibre in our area. Want to know if internet connection will be better with this router. Cheers

Comments

• Sky Q is great, especially if you're basically getting it for free.
    The router is good, but I'm on fibre anyway. I wouldn't say I'd noticed a massive improvement from the last one tbh.
    One plus is that the mini box acts as a signal booster, if that's the term I'm looking for.
  • Didn't know cheers
  • love Sky Q
  • It's bloody great.

Get it

(Provided you are not in a flat and don't have your own dish)
  • edited October 2017
    Going to switch from Virgin to Sky Q. I have been impressed with what I have seen and Virgin oversubscribe their broadband and most people don't get anything like the speeds they think they are paying for. Also Sky seemed to have improved their customer service (I have had to deal with them for my mum) whereas Virgin have almost givenup on the concept.
  • Swisdom said:

It's bloody great.

Get it

I am moving from a house with q into a flat with a communal dish so what problem are you aware of that you allude to with my new setup? Ta
  • It's an old-fashioned content delivery system given bells and whistles in order to keep those of us over 30 addicted to having an expensive set top box. It's an old-fashioned business model that surely can't last.

That said, it does what it's supposed to do really well, when it works. Certain houses simply don't allow the signal to spread far enough, even if you do plug in a placebo / 'booster'.

It's a lot more cost effective to build a TV selection from on demand systems now. Freeview and Apple TV or Xbox for instance.
  • What tv can you get through Xbox.
  • WHAddick said:

Swisdom said:

It's bloody great.

Get it

I am moving from a house with q into a flat with a communal dish so what problem are you aware of that you allude to with my new setup? Ta
    Depends where you are moving. I got Sky Q last Feb/March and was one of the first on my development. They had to do witchcraft in my house as it all runs from a centralised dish (because Berkeley Homes don't like satellite dishes). It took 3 visit to get it sorted but we got there in the end).

@WHAddick Where I live I know some of the flats on earlier phases had some issues because the fibre wasn't quick enough but think that's rectified now) but you should check with the estate manager (if you have one) or maybe some neighbours if you can, just in case

• Sponsored links:

• It's good, but it has dropped BBC, ITV and C4 HD channels in my set-up (no satellite signal message), apparently because they are low frequency and affected by filters in the wall plates in my system. Other channels, including HD, are fine. The engineer should know about this issue, but evidently didn't check it.
  • We moved recently and had this installed last week.

Very pleased with the TV so far, though the broadband went down for a day and I couldn't get through to Sky on Friday evening as there was an hour wait to speak to someone. They suggested using Messenger or SMS texting but no-one responded to it until Saturday morning, by which time the broadband was back and has worked okay since.
  • What tv can you get through Xbox.

iPlayer, Netflix, Amazon, Xbox movies and so on. Not sure about other catch up TV options, maybe ITV or C4 stuff.

You can also use it for Sky Go and NowTV if you really want!
  • WHAddick said:

Swisdom said:

It's bloody great.

Get it

Q uses a different dish connection. It's possible that a communal dish either can't do it, or you won't be allowed to do it (or Sky will refuse to do it). Really not able to confirm myself as I have not been through it but I can see that issue arising.
  • Thanks Jimmy, swisdom.
    I think I'll be ok. Spoke to love digital. They now provide an adapter fitted to my flat so dish doesn't need upgrading. So they will attend the sky installation too and it should all be sorted at same time
  • WHAddick said:

Thanks Jimmy, swisdom.
    I think I'll be ok. Spoke to love digital. They now provide an adapter fitted to my flat so dish doesn't need upgrading. So they will attend the sky installation too and it should all be sorted at same time

Cool - good luck with the move

• So how much have you all paid to upgrade to Sky Q?

Earlier in the year, when I last phoned sky I was quoted £200 for the 2tb box then £99 per mini box. As we need a bare minimum 2 mini boxes, ideally 3, thats a lot of money.

Phoned up on Saturday, was quoted £214 for the 2tb box then we get 2 mini boxes free.
    I still think the £214 is bloody steep, considering me and the Mrs have been with Sky for over 15 years in total but at different addresses but they only class us as a Sky Platinum customer rather than Black, where they get the 2tb box for free.

I've always managed to negotiate discounts in the past but they just don't want to know.
  • only paid the £50 engineer installation fee, 1 box in the frontroom and another wireless one up in the bedroom
  • Recently installed and it cost £65 for installation fee for main box, then £50 for one mini-box and £49 for a second mini-box. However we're paying £109 per month for broadband, tv full package, landline and evening and weekend calls which sounds quite a lot more than some others are paying.

The installation engineer said that the cost of the mini-boxes was good as they usually charge £100 each.
  • only paid the £50 engineer installation fee, 1 box in the frontroom and another wireless one up in the bedroom

Can you watch different programmes on each one at the same time ?
  • Sponsored links:

• Sky Q will be installed free of charge and without additional monthly fee if you are eligible by being a Sky customer longer than eight years (I think) and by also already having a multi room subscription.
  • MrOneLung said:

only paid the £50 engineer installation fee, 1 box in the frontroom and another wireless one up in the bedroom

Can you watch different programmes on each one at the same time ?
    Yes, you can also watch a programme on one, hit record, go to the other box & start watching again from where you left off

• Moved to Sky Q after 5 years with Virgin. Paying £79 pm for fibre broadband, multiroom, UHD in main room, sports and box sets. Really happy with it so far. Just one wrinkle. My B.B. is capped, so as soon as you’ve downloaded a couple of HD / UHD programmes you’ve exceeded your limit. Can’t see how anyone can avoid paying for unlimited B.B. if you have HD tv.
  • Dog keeps eating my remotes cos the kids keep leaving them lying around.

Tried looking for an app to replace the sky remote, nothing about it seems

Contemplating painting something on the remote to put the dog off
  • Can you not spary them with something dogs don't like. TCE is an expert, maybe he can help. There noses are 250 times stronger than ours so what they can smell we shouldn't. I do wonder how my dog can put up with some of his farts knowing that fact!
  • edited October 2017
    razil said:

Dog keeps eating my remotes cos the kids keep leaving them lying around.

Tried looking for an app to replace the sky remote, nothing about it seems

Contemplating painting something on the remote to put the dog off

Try dabbing Vic sinex on it ;)
  • Got it all 'free' because I've been a Sky customer for 15 years. That also makes me a VIP. You can only begin to imagine how special that makes me feel.
  • Contacted Sky today to activate the 1571 voicemail service. I'm already paying £109 per month for full TV package with Sky Q, broadband and phone and they want to charge an extra £1.25 per month for this!
  • WHAddick said:

Thanks Jimmy, swisdom.

I've had Sky Q in my flat for almost a year now, I think they upgraded the communal Sky dish when they did the first installation in my block which then allowed the rest of the block to be able to get it.

Fantastic solution for a flat where previously multi room wasn't an option.
  • Contacted Sky today to activate the 1571 voicemail service. I'm already paying £109 per month for full TV package with Sky Q, broadband and phone and they want to charge an extra £1.25 per month for this!

You are their dream customer, that is an astronomical amount!

Sky, like everyone else in the comms game want to get you bundled up. Often, in fact more often than not, to get the subscriber numbers up they will take a hit on the broadband and landlines just to get you subscribed to all 3. You need to call them and jog them on. They are taking the piss