Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Naby Sarr - gone to Reading, scored the winner against Millwall at the Den (p13)

Comments

• Leuth said:

Why is there no way he'd replace Pearce?

I think Pearce being captain, recent League 1 winner, organiser at the back and probably our best CB is the reason he would be in the team. I agree that despite them both being left-footed, Pearce would get the nod over Sarr every day of the week.

No reason why Sarr and Pearce couldn't play together though. Not a massive fan of Bauer but he is good enough and does chip in with the odd goal too.
    KRs pressing game is dependent on keeping a high defensive line which Pearce is incapable of delivering, which is why we have struggled against mediocre sides who stop us playing out from the back. Sarr is comfortable on the ball and if oppo swarm forward he has ability to ping it over their heads to a red shirt. Pearce is a limited brawler.
    You are quite possibly correct, but I don't think Pearce is here to be on the bench. He is a top quality CB at this level IMO
  • Naby Sarr "coming good" is a win situation for us whatever way you paint it. It would mean that we have three very good league one centre backs plus backup in Konsa and Lennon.

We already have Pearce out for a couple of months at least and centre backs always pick up more than their fair share of cards. We are going to be very lucky if Sarr comes in and does the bizzo.

• SDAddick said:

Scoham said:

So a huge player with pace, touch and Hoddle like passing. What went wrong first time round? And wasn't a regular in French level two. Possibly one of the few in our squad with Prem potential. Every defender makes mistakes but he needs to stay in the XI.

That summer left the squad in a terrible state, it was made up by a lot more academy and inexperienced foreign players. A number of them not good enough and/or ready at the time, including Naby.

He was one of 3 centre backs alongside Bauer, young, foreign and lacking experience (though Bauer had at least had a season or two of first feam football) and Diarra, who was really a midfielder.

Months into the season Karel Fraeye was put in charge. We never had a chance of any sort of success that season, especially players like Sarr.

Sarr wasn't a good or the right type of signing at the time, even if he proves himself at a lower level two years later.

Had he came in as back in a strong squad with a settled management team he may have done ok two years ago.
    A combination of this and what @Leuth and @ForeverAddickted said.

He came into a side that was incredibly thin at the back. He was playing with one of Bauer, new to the league, Diarra, not really a defender, or Harry Lennon, pushing Sarr onto the right. I think because he was big and shouty and English Harry Lennon got away with a lot more as well.

Sarr, until now, hasn't had a coach who coaches, with the exception of Riga. But by the time Riga came in Sarr's confidence looked shot and we signed two decent center halves that January.

Sarr has all the tools. I wish I could remember who said it, but today he looked like the player we thought we'd signed two years ago. Still a long way for him to go but given all the stick he's gotten I really hope he goes on to have an excellent season. We are a better team with an on form Naby Sarr in the side.
    The problem has always been that nobody knew whether this was the case. We signed a defender who had played in the Champions League who we thought might be a decent championship defender, let alone League 1.

Seems like a good display yesterday by all accounts and I have been backing him over Lennon for months now, but I think we should go easy on that statement because nobody still knows much about Naby Sarr and how useful he can be.
    Absolutely. Because I'd seen him a few years ago at the Toulon Tournament where he looked immense, I had a slightly better idea of what he's capable of. And as I've said before I think some of the criticism of him was over the top. But I had no idea if he'd ever replicate the form for us that made him once such a promising player with Lyon and Sporting.

My point is, having seen how he played yesterday, if he keeps that up, we are better with him in the side-for now. Pearce is out for 10ish weeks, and Sarr has played one game, so we have a while before we need to have the debate about whether or not Sarr should replace him. I put forward the argument on the other thread that I think Sarr's pace compared to Pearce's, and his ability on the ball, make him better suited to our style of play. But I also agree Pearce's leadership and organizational skills are very important, and it's really hard for us the gauge as supporters just how big a role he plays.
  • Leuth said:

Why is there no way he'd replace Pearce?

Pearce for me is our best centre back. I haven't got the stats to hand but i'm pretty sure if you look at our results with and without Pearce last season our win% is higher with him in the team than without him.

As I said on the Pearce thread he plays a hard game he looks like one of those defenders who could easily concede a penalty not because he's a bad player but because he plays with an edge to his game and most times will win those battles, I think only Bury away on his debut his style of play has conceded a penalty but I stand to be corrected.

Bauer and Sarr as good as they are in the air or playing the ball out of defence don't have that edge which shows and sometimes costs goals. Morrison couldn't play the ball out of defence but he'd walk straight back into the team?
  • Sarr just took time to get used to UK football it would seem. And unfortunately for us his 'getting used to it' coincided with our 2015-16 season.

But his form elsewhere does suggest he is quality. For Lyon under Remi Garde he scored in the Europa League in 2012-13. At Sporting CP he turned out 17 times in the 2014-15 season (they finished 3rd in the League) and scored in their Champions League match vs Schalke 04. (One of the other SCP goals came from Nani). Sporting CP paid E1m for him.

Have we had anyone else on our books - Simonsen excepted - who has scored in the Champions League?
  • Sarr just took time to get used to UK football it would seem. And unfortunately for us his 'getting used to it' coincided with our 2015-16 season.

But his form elsewhere does suggest he is quality. For Lyon under Remi Garde he scored in the Europa League in 2012-13. At Sporting CP he turned out 17 times in the 2014-15 season (they finished 3rd in the League) and scored in their Champions League match vs Schalke 04. (One of the other SCP goals came from Nani). Sporting CP paid E1m for him.

Have we had anyone else on our books - Simonsen excepted - who has scored in the Champions League?

Di Canio?
  • Nope! Di Canio scored 3 times in UEFA Cup and Inter-Toto Cup only, nothing in the Champions League.
  • edited October 2017
    Rommedahl
  • We had that fella who made one substitute appearance for us, Luke Holden?

He had scored in the Champions League.

Chris Dickson i think.
  • Sponsored links:

Tony Watt
  • One decent League One performance against a poor Fleetwood and all of a sudden we could be witnessing the second coming of Franz Beckenbauer .
    I understand the desperate need for positiveness but it’s almost like his pony performances didn’t ever happen .
    He definitely deserves another chance and patience as well but if he’d had a bad game it wouldn’t mean he was complete and utter ponage , just as he has had a decent game doesn’t mean he is the mutts nuts .

Spot on
  • It's not just one game against a poor Fleetwood side. On the other side of the coin you could say we played away to a team who finished in the top six last season and are generally regarded a strong team at home, depends which way you want to look at it, they're still 11th with a game in hand on most teams so don't think they're a poor side even if they didn't perform yesterday. Perhaps Wigan see us as a poor side and are wondering how the hell we're 5th in the table?

I think the positive feedback he's received has been based on the 4 games he's started this season and has performed well in each of them and also the games in pre-season but I understand the caution that it's only league games that matter. Yes he was dog awful for us last time but his improvement has been seen over a few months now and not just one game.

I think we can all agree though one solid league performance counts for little, he needs to keep performing. If Pearce was available tomorrow Sarr would be back on the bench.
  • I dont think that Fleetwood were a poor side on Saturday... We potentially just made them look poor

Got to remember as well that the Tuesday beforehand they smashed Bradford 3-0 at Valley Parade which is a massive result as Bradford are an extremely well organised team and wont take many beatings like that
  • Sarr was good in pre-season games too. Great long passes too.
  • What this shows is that when you have an injury to an important player, you need a good option. Sarr is a good option - definitely at this level. The hope has to be that Pearce struggles to get back in as that will mean we are doing well and our centre halves have stayed fit.
  • 89% pass completion on Saturday.
  • Crusty54 said:

89% pass completion on Saturday.

Not good enough. That means 11% of passes went astray.

• Oggy Red said:

Crusty54 said:

Was best in the team.
  • Sponsored links:

• How much did we pay for him and how many strikers would that buy this season ?
  • How much did we pay for him and how many strikers would that buy this season ?

Stopping a goal is just as important as scoring one and I am not sure of the relevance of how much we paid for him is to the lack of strikers we have now.

We chose to let go/loan out the strikers we had and there is no evidence that our budget was the reason for not signing one. You are also assuming that just because Rolly had not spent money in previous years it would be available to our manager now. Surely the sales of our young talent has shown you that what money he has does not mean a bigger budget?

• Crusty54 said:

Oggy Red said:

Crusty54 said:

Was best in the team.
    Sorry, Crusty.
    I'll have to give you a WHOOOOOSH! for that one.

Of course, 89% is a terrific completion rate.
  • Naby Sarr and Pearce as CBs and just stick the BFG up top, bloody lethal in the air is Paddy B
  • I thought he was a complete waste of space donkey. But he has done more than enough this season to prove me and others wrong. At this level he is a very good centreback. Some people just aren't willing to admit when they were wrong.
  • Sarr has been a mixture this season, ranging from excellent to poorish, but overall he's been at least average.
  • Him and Konsa have been a poor partnership imo. Sounds like the defence did well with Lennon last night