Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Alexa, Amazon

Does anyone have one of these?

I require a charlton life review.

It appears like it could be rather entertaining and also quite conveniently smooth.

Is it worth buying?

Comments

• edited October 2017
    I have two. I wouldn't be without Alexa now. Bear in mind you will need a monthly subscription to Amazon Prime to make the most of your echo.

I find the speakers in the two I have are just fine for my needs but was surprised just how good the sound was with the echo dot which is a steal at £50.
  • I got one for my birthday. I pretty much just use it for music. But it's worth it for that alone. Sound is great.
  • I think it looks really good if you have kids as well. The adverts make me cringe though
  • In terms of voice recognition and being able to offer "chatty" responses, it is nowhere near as good as Google Now or Siri.
  • edited October 2017
    Yep, had one a while now, novelty wears off after a while....but it’s pretty cheap and does a job. Live in my 11 year olds room at the mo - keeps him entertained.
  • Yep. Controls my lights, heating, TV, surround sound and other things. Use it numerous times everyday :smiley:
  • On Amazon today and it looks like the next generation is coming out at the end of next month and first half of November. Including one with a screen built in.

I recommend waiting for the black Friday deals. Guaranteed discounts on Alexa.
  • Sponsored links:

• If I had one I know it would get a bit Sci fi drama.

"Alexa, give me everything you have on our new terror prime suspect James Rodriguez"
  • Alexa, tell me next weeks winning Euro Millions numbers please?!
  • I got one for my birthday. I pretty much just use it for music. But it's worth it for that alone. Sound is great.

This :smiley:
  • I have Echo and a dot. The echo is surprisingly good for sound and volume which I use for music- join get Amazon music and listen to all music (I’ve just listened to Motörhead Uncovered album which I quite enjoyed but would never have bought it). Also I have linked up some lights using Philips Hue bridge and the tv with the Logitech Harmony. It does seem a bit nerdy but I quite enjoy using it and find it fun.
    I’ve just got to watch out for those nasty dolphins :0)
  • I have one in most rooms and I use it to turn lights on and off and for things like weather and timers etc.

You can play music From Spotify and eventually they will be able to play music through my Sonos speakers.

I wouldn’t be without it now. I only have the echo dot but it is loud enough and small enough that it isn’t too noticible.

They are soon going to be able to work as intercom so that you can talk to someone in another room without shouting or calling on the mobile.
  • Jesus, on reading some of the reasons you have a device like this is worrying. As it is the art of conversation is dying on its arse, the way things are going you lot won't need legs soon.

• Calling someone in another room, wtf.
  • You wait til you have kids Stu. It's a vast improvement on repeatedly hollering up the stairs to get them to come down for dinner.
  • Jesus, on reading some of the reasons you have a device like this is worrying. As it is the art of conversation is dying on its arse, the way things are going you lot won't need legs soon.

Alexa, put big light out.
  • I have one and use it mostly as a voice controlled juke box. It's disappointing in other respects as if you ask it a question, you often get "Hmmm, I don't have the answer to that question".
  • Sponsored links:

Alexa, tell my wife I'm not talking to her
  • Anyone know anything about the upcoming Sonos smart speaker?

Also, does Alexa work with any smart lightbulb/heating system? Or is there a compliance aspect?
  • Anyone know anything about the upcoming Sonos smart speaker?

Also, does Alexa work with any smart lightbulb/heating system? Or is there a compliance aspect?

I have British Gas Hive for the heating and it also has smart plugs and smart light bulbs. There is a 'skill' that you have to enable in the Amazon Echo app and then you can add the bulbs, for example, and put them into groups for each room etc.

I know this is an Alexa thread but I have found, teething issues aside, that the Hive system is excellent. Voice/phone app controlled lights are great but they have door and motion sensors too so lights some on when you open the front door, and when I walk out of the bedroom, at night, lights come on in the upstairs hall and on the stairs. I know it's a bit techy but I am a bit of a geek.
  • I have two Echo's. They are very good and would highly recommend. Only use mine for music, you get 2 million free songs with Amazon Prime and can add Amazon music for as little as £3.99 and the catalog goes up to £40 million. I just stream spotify through it though.

Handy for timers in the kitchen when cooking and also weather etc.
  • Anyone’s got the new Sonos that works with Alexa? Any good?

The new Sonos One has Alexa built in. The others have had their software updated and you can connect Alexa through them.

The new Sonos One has Alexa built in. The others have had their software updated and you can connect Alexa through them.
    Assuming the new sonos one can be voice controlled then - not the others? Have a 3 and the play bar.

Assuming the new sonos one can be voice controlled then - not the others? Have a 3 and the play bar.
    https://www.sonos.com/en-gb/shop/play3.html •Connect Sonos to an Amazon Echo or Dot, then simply request the music you love.
  • Alexa is worst than the wife - uninvited and right in the middle of watching a programme on TV she will pipe up with "I'm sorry but I don't know the answer to that one" or "that's really nice of you to say that".

On second thoughts, Alexa is nothing like the wife.
  • This thread is relebant to my interests