Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

AFL Grand Final (Richmond v Adelaide Crows)

Anyone watching the 2nd best sport in the world)? Aussie Rules is fkin amazing

Comments

• Watching if,close game. Think the "marks", spoil the game a bit, would put GAA about it has a game.
  • Tigers are beginning to run away with it a bit.
  • Never even heard of it until I worked with a guy from Perth who was a massive west coast eagles nut, bought the pass so he could watch in U.K. Etc, find it similar to ga.
  • Watching if,close game. Think the "marks", spoil the game a bit, would put GAA about it has a game.

I think the marks are what makes this game.
  • Never even heard of it until I worked with a guy from Perth who was a massive west coast eagles nut, bought the pass so he could watch in U.K. Etc, find it similar to ga.

I believe it's a cross between rugby & GAA, due to the first lot of prisoners sent out there. The international rules games, where they mix GAA & AFL together are very messy at times.
  • So many things which makes this game amazing. Freekick to the other team, of you don't dispose of the ball, when you've been controlling the ball for a couple of seconds. The behinds, the marks, the size of the pitch, the length of the games (+2 1/2 hours).
  • Watched a Geelong game when I was living g out near there a few years back. Really interesting game. A lot of it was spent watching players chase the ball as it unpredictably bounced around the pitch. If it was big here we might manage to get cricket grounds as big as the MCG!
  • I've been in NZ for 3 weeks and I'm sick of F'ing Aussie rules and rugby. I've really tried but just don't get the obsession. Intl rugby union is great but it's pretty much on Sky 1 & 2 24/7
  • Must admit, when i lived in Sydney for best part of a year, i didnt 'get it' either.
  • Sponsored links:

• Must admit, when i lived in Sydney for best part of a year, i didnt 'get it' either.

Sydney is not the best place either to get into AFL (although they do have Sydney Swans).
    It's all about rugby league there.
    A bit like trying to get into rugby league, if you live in Melbourne.
  • jamescafc said:

I've been in NZ for 3 weeks and I'm sick of F'ing Aussie rules and rugby. I've really tried but just don't get the obsession. Intl rugby union is great but it's pretty much on Sky 1 & 2 24/7

Don't worry. The rugby season is over in a few weeks time.
    A-League starts next weekend.
  • Lived in Australia now for 16 years. Been to just two games. Left before quarter time. Just don’t get it. But huge following here and all over the papers. Season now finally over and yes it’s football again with A-League.
  • When I moved to Melbourne in 2008, it took me 7-8 games to get into it.
    But when I finally got it, I was sold.
    Such a good game. Even wifey likes it (and that says a lot).
  • Lived in Australia now for 16 years. Been to just two games. Left before quarter time. Just don’t get it. But huge following here and all over the papers. Season now finally over and yes it’s football again with A-League.

Fair enough.
    A good start would be to pick a team and then watch more than a 1/4 of the game.
    Do you understand the rules of the game?
  • Danepak said:

Must admit, when i lived in Sydney for best part of a year, i didnt 'get it' either.

Sydney is not the best place either to get into AFL (although they do have Sydney Swans).
    Although Melbourne Storm in NRL grand final today here in Sydney...

Been here 3 years nearly. Never thought i'd be happy watching a Rugby League game, but it's massive here as you say.

As for AFL, just looks like chaos.
  • Brothers in-laws are massive Tiges fans. Grew up a couple of miles from their old stadium. Fair play, they've waited donkeys years for Richmond to be any good and stuck with then through ridiculously lean times. Pleased that they managed to win it - they're a 'proper' sports team, not like some of the shitty franchise teams in the AFL, or Collingwood (the Millwall of the AFL)
  • edited September 2017
    Went to a Sydney Swans game with a couple of friends when I was there in 2013 although that was more to say I went to the SCG than anything else.

Ended up enjoying it despite it being very one sided (a quick Google tells me it was a 171-42 victory over GWS Giants) and having no idea what was what.
  • The most important rules:
    A mark is where a player cleanly catches a kicked ball that has travelled more than 15 metres without anyone else touching it or the ball hitting the ground. No one can tackle you, if you've taken a mark (at least, until the umpire yells 'play on').
    You can only pass the ball by kicking or hand pass (punched with the alternate fist).
    If you're in possession of the ball and clearly have a chance of passing it - and you're then tackled - it's a freekick to the other team. (This is what makes the game really really good. You're forced to dispose of the ball ASAP, if an opponent is about to tackle you).
    6 points between the middle sticks (you can only score by kicking, not by hand). If it's touched by someone else, before it goes in, it's a behind. If it hits the post, it's also a behind (even if it's in).
  • edited September 2017
    JT said:

Danepak said:

Must admit, when i lived in Sydney for best part of a year, i didnt 'get it' either.

Although Melbourne Storm in NRL grand final today here in Sydney...
    Yep, I went to a few Storm games, when the Warriors played them. The vast majority of Storm fans are from NSW, QLD, NZ and the Pacific Islands.
    Most 'home grown' Victorians hate league.
  • Sponsored links:

• I went to a cracker between Geelong and Hawthorn at the MCG; I was expecting to hate every minute as I loathe Rugby but I really enjoyed it
  • edited October 2017
    wmcf123 said:

I went to a cracker between Geelong and Hawthorn at the MCG; I was expecting to hate every minute as I loathe Rugby but I really enjoyed it

Aussie Rules and rugby are incomparable sports.
  • I've been watching Aussie Rules since Channel 4 first showed VFL highlights back in the early/mid-80s and over the last 5-10 years I've probably watched more footy than football as I've become more disillusioned with our game (not just Charlton).

To be honest I think it's possibly the best sport in the world - the athleticism, skill, endurance and courage of the players is amazing and you don't get the dissent or prima donna attitudes that you get in football. You don't see players wearing full body armour like in American Football or increasingly the case in rugby, just a bit of tape at most on shoulders and knees to help support the joints!

Only been to one game live: West Coast v Collingwood at Subiaco Oval at the beginning of the 2007 season when West Coast unfurled their 2006 Premiership flag.
  • Funny enough my AFL team are Carlton. I also lived in the area for 2 months as a second excuse.

I personally think the rules for marking spoil the game a little and the way the non-Victorian teams are given special treatment to try and spread the game is disgraceful. Likewise how they only use 2 grounds in Melbourne despite the number of teams there. Very American Franchise in that regard.
  • Funny enough my AFL team are Carlton. I also lived in the area for 2 months as a second excuse.

I personally think the rules for marking spoil the game a little and the way the non-Victorian teams are given special treatment to try and spread the game is disgraceful. Likewise how they only use 2 grounds in Melbourne despite the number of teams there. Very American Franchise in that regard.

The mark is one of the best aspects of the game! Watching someone use a 6-foot-plus bloke as a stepladder, jumping onto their shoulders and then getting an extra lift to catch the ball over 10 foot off the ground before crashing back to earth is quite spectacular.

There used to be more grounds in Melbourne but during the 80s and 90s the clubs left their small (20-30,000 capacity) suburban grounds for either the MCG or Waverley Park, both of which had larger capacities. Waverley was then replaced by the Docklands Stadium. The old grounds are now mostly used as the clubs' administrative and training bases and by the reserves sides in the VFL.

The non-Victorian sides, apart from the two newest clubs, Gold Coast and Greater Western Sydney, don't get much help, if any, from the AFL. The WA and SA clubs probably helped prop up the Victorian clubs when they first joined the league in the 80s and 90s because of the large licence fees they had to pay. The Melbourne clubs had been struggling which is why South Melbourne relocated to Sydney and various mergers had been discussed before Fitzroy went under in the mid-90s, merging with Brisbane.

The main problem with the league is that it seems to be more concerned with making money than anything else, which is why, despite Geelong having earned a home Qualifying Final by finishing second on the ladder, they were forced to play at the MCG against third-placed Richmond instead of at the 35,000 capacity Kardinia Park. Not only did the Cats lose the advantage of playing on a skinnier ground their fans were also significantly outnumbered in the 95,000 crowd.
  • A rather unexpected thread! Saw one game in Adelaide when in oz many years ago, enjoyable and easy to pick up the basics of the rules and tactics, but not something I've ever wanted to follow up...
  • Danepak said:

wmcf123 said:

I went to a cracker between Geelong and Hawthorn at the MCG; I was expecting to hate every minute as I loathe Rugby but I really enjoyed it

Aussie Rules and rugby are incomparable sports.
    Yes. I had no idea what to expect; I enjoyed AFL a lot more

The mark is one of the best aspects of the game! Watching someone use a 6-foot-plus bloke as a stepladder, jumping onto their shoulders and then getting an extra lift to catch the ball over 10 foot off the ground before crashing back to earth is quite spectacular.

There used to be more grounds in Melbourne but during the 80s and 90s the clubs left their small (20-30,000 capacity) suburban grounds for either the MCG or Waverley Park, both of which had larger capacities. Waverley was then replaced by the Docklands Stadium. The old grounds are now mostly used as the clubs' administrative and training bases and by the reserves sides in the VFL.

The non-Victorian sides, apart from the two newest clubs, Gold Coast and Greater Western Sydney, don't get much help, if any, from the AFL. The WA and SA clubs probably helped prop up the Victorian clubs when they first joined the league in the 80s and 90s because of the large licence fees they had to pay. The Melbourne clubs had been struggling which is why South Melbourne relocated to Sydney and various mergers had been discussed before Fitzroy went under in the mid-90s, merging with Brisbane.

The main problem with the league is that it seems to be more concerned with making money than anything else, which is why, despite Geelong having earned a home Qualifying Final by finishing second on the ladder, they were forced to play at the MCG against third-placed Richmond instead of at the 35,000 capacity Kardinia Park. Not only did the Cats lose the advantage of playing on a skinnier ground their fans were also significantly outnumbered in the 95,000 crowd.
    Your main problem ties in with my issue with Melbourne only using two grounds!

There was differently an issue when the Swans won the grand final on '05 with the Victorians I was with, maybe it's resolve with them but seems the new clubs are getting extra assistance to create new markets and thr traditonal well supported clubs aren't.

The free kick (they probably call it a scuzwogga) for marking is a shite rule. Most of the times the player catching it at the gane i went to was in space and didn't have to climb 10 feet, although it was a friendly which maybe why.
  • edited October 2017

Your main problem ties in with my issue with Melbourne only using two grounds!

The free kick (they probably call it a scuzwogga) for marking is a shite rule. Most of the times the player catching it at the gane i went to was in space and didn't have to climb 10 feet, although it was a friendly which maybe why.

Agree, it's crap that all games are played at either the 'G' or Etihad (apart from the odd trip to Kardinia Park in Geelong).

However, claiming that the mark is a shit rule is (with all due respect) as bonkers as someone claiming that the offside rule in football is shit too. Or that the goals in football should be made bigger.
    The mark allows you to build up. A bit like the defence in football passing it around in their own half, before entering the enemy's territory. When you then get in there, marks aren't as easy. A mark in the enemy's territory can in a spit second open everything up for you. Again, it also depends on what type of game it is. Is the opponent sitting back or do they desperately need an error, to gain possession.
    The mark is a keystone of the game. Mark it within 50 metres of the goal and you've got a chance to score 6 points.
    Removing the mark from Aussie Rules is (in my honest opinion) just nonsense talk from someone who doesn't understand the game.

Watch the last 2 1/2 minutes of Brisbane v Geelong (2013). Imagine if the mark didn't exist and tell me if it would make it more exciting.
    The game would have been over with 30 secs to go. Instead, because of the marks, they get a chance to build up for the final chance.
    And then, with the final mark, he then gets a chance to load up and take that big kick. Wouldn't be possible without the mark rule.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VLIbEaQ2fOE
  • Simple, uncontested marks keep the game moving but everyone loves a speccie!

https://youtu.be/7AjcFfBvIcs