Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

The Ashes 2017-18

Comments

• Jeez. I underetand why Stokes has been banned, but it doesn't look like Hales has done anything wrong. Guilty by association?
  • You lot are hilarious let's see what you or your family would do when facing the same situation what would you do run away and cry

they are allowed to go out and relax have a beer without pricks starting trouble with them the ECB should support his actions

Indeed - I don't know why Hales didn't join in and when the bloke was down use his head as a football rather than trying to stop Stokes. In fact, perhaps Hales was the one totally out of control for repeatedly saying "enough, that's enough Stokesy".

Of course Stokes should defend himself. But the Law states that he may only do what is reasonably necessary. And he simply was not doing that.
    If he was defending homophobic comments and considering the guy had a weapon, I would argue (I appreciate a judge wouldn't) that what stoakes did was reasonably necessary. Will the guy make homophobic comments when carrying a bottle in the future without thinking about what happened last time?
  • You lot are hilarious let's see what you or your family would do when facing the same situation what would you do run away and cry

they are allowed to go out and relax have a beer without pricks starting trouble with them the ECB should support his actions

Indeed - I don't know why Hales didn't join in and when the bloke was down use his head as a football rather than trying to stop Stokes. In fact, perhaps Hales was the one totally out of control for repeatedly saying "enough, that's enough Stokesy".

Of course Stokes should defend himself. But the Law states that he may only do what is reasonably necessary. And he simply was not doing that.
    If he was defending homophobic comments and considering the guy had a weapon, I would argue (I appreciate a judge wouldn't) that what stoakes did was reasonably necessary. Will the guy make homophobic comments when carrying a bottle in the future without thinking about what happened last time?
    And that is an "if". Because I've only seen Piers Morgan's tweet to that effect. I have seen Hales trying to stop him though and that in itself is indicative to me that he thought Stokes was using unreasonable force.

I'm sure the Police will get to the bottom of it and that the truth behind the fracas and Stokes (and Hales) part in it will come to light.

• Chizz said:
    A rather ambiguous statement really. After tomorrows game, which neither were going to be involved in anyway, our next game is November 4th.
  • Jeez. I underetand why Stokes has been banned, but it doesn't look like Hales has done anything wrong. Guilty by association?

It may just be the fact that Hales was out 'til at least 3.00 in the morning (Bayliss has already said that he is considering a curfew for the tour) and/or they want him out of the limelight 'til such time as the full facts do come to light.
  • One of the things I am dismayed about is that there are more posters on here now because of non-cricket issues than when it was just the cricket.
  • One of the things I am dismayed about is that there are more posters on here now because of non-cricket issues than when it was just the cricket.

Sun readers?

In fairness, with the Ashes still several weeks off and one hugely significant story suddenly breaking, it's hardly surprising that there are more people interested in the story.

Where does it say that either of them has been banned?
  • Sponsored links:

• Seems harsh on hales unless there's more to it than we know.

My view is of he's found not guilty (if it even gets thay far) he will go to Aus. If not he won't (could even do time).

They'll probably strip him of the vice captaincy anyway to be seen to be doing something. Bairstow to take over that role.

Frankly he's just too important to lose.
  • in the video who is the person sticking the boot in?

To be fair, while most of the previous discussion was about the fringe bowlers and latest batsmen to fail at 3 and 5, this is much more serious. Stokes is irreplaceable in our team, and him getting arrested could be catastrophic for our chances down under.

I thought that was Hales

I thought that was Hales
    It is, but he's kicking the guy who has grabbed Stokes's leg
  • Watched the video, the bloke had a bottle and tried to bottle a bloke who stokes was with. If they were saying homophobic comments, this was probably enough for most people to see red.

Stokes clearly saw red and went mental. Trying to bottle some one is cowardly and scummy and making homophobic comments is cowardly and scummy. I can't honestly say I wouldn't react the same way as stokes. Especially when inebriated
  • Pathetic decision I hope they lose every match because of it
  • there's allegedly another story doing the rounds now about Hales being the original 'centre of attention'
  • there's allegedly another story doing the rounds now about Hales being the original 'centre of attention'

there's allegedly another story doing the rounds now about Hales being the original 'centre of attention'

But then there would be wouldn't there? I won't believe it 'til Piers tweets it though.
  • Sponsored links:

• Just seen a video of Stokes taking the piss out of Harvey Price.

Oh shit.

Oh shit.

Stokes looks off his nut in that video

Oh shit.

Having seen the video I now await Piers' tweet on how this has been misinterpreted, that Stokes was set up and that his drinks had been spiked.
  • Leuth said:

holy shit that footage!

Needs to work on line & length, scorecard: wide,wide.wide.wide,wide, wicket.
  • I like Hales's valiant efforts (not) to get Stokes away from the guy.
    He certainly has a temper that boy.
  • edited September 2017
    We've all had the gifs the jokes they are normal people he is just a bit thick like Rooney to get caught doing these things but it's no big deal
  • I've heard that impression hundreds of times from people who have had a booze. It's completely wrong, but (wrongly) harmless fun from those taking part. I won't lie, been there and it's funny at the time. It shouldn't be, and while sober it's a pretty grim thought that you've amused yourself with someone else's disability, but it doesn't hide the fact that that particular impression happens each and every night, up and down the country.

However, you've got to be a special type of thick dickhead to let yourself get filmed doing it, especially in the high profile position Ben finds himself.

What a twat.

Think this video may fuck him more than the one of the brawl.

Would be gutted as an England fan but if the book gets thrown at him and he doesn't play in Aus I won't think it's unjust.
  • I cant see how making an impression of someone would have them throw the book at him, however embarassing/cringey/wrong it was.However, if he was convicted of ABH, then thats a different matter.
  • Anyone got a link to the video of him doing the impression...
  • I cant see how making an impression of someone would have them throw the book at him, however embarassing/cringey/wrong it was.However, if he was convicted of ABH, then thats a different matter.

Yes, being unpleasant/thick shouldn't affect his place in the team (off the field commercially it will and should hurt him though)

The potential criminal charges are much more significant. Suspending Stokes and Hales until further notice sounds grand, but as there's only one dead game left for which Stokes is injured anyway, more of a gesture than anything else.