Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Ricky Holmes - Our best / most effective attacking player since....

Who in your opinion?

Completely in love with the Rickster and feel I'm not alone with that.

Last season his performance was amazingly consistent. Out of 33 games he recorded a Top 3 mark in our Statbank on 26 occasions and a MoM 12 times.

He scored 13 goals and 5 assists and already this season has 4 goals and 3 assists.

He doesn't score naff goals and is building a catalogue of worldies. In my mind you'll struggle to find a better pound for pound player in this league.

So who was the last attacking player as impacting and effective as him in Your opinion?

Comments

• I'd put D Bent a smidgen ahead of him ;)
  • sam3110 said:

JBG comes pretty close IMO

Oh yeah, of course. JBG is a better player, quite clearly, but relative to our league position Holmes is just as effective if not more so
  • I'd say Holmes has more actual impact that JBG, even if he's perhaps not quite as technically skilled.
  • edited September 2017
    Igor before he got injured

Yann

JBG

And all did it at a higher level

And last season we had Lookman too
  • Interesting with Gudmundsson.

Stats For his last season 15/16

Apps 39
    Rating 5.97 (actually lower than Makienok)
    Top Three 7
    MoM 1

Goals 6
    Assists 14
  • without Mendonca we would never have made it to the top division
  • Sponsored links:

Apps 39
    Top Three 7
    MoM 1

Goals 6
    Assists 14

The year we were relegated and had Fraeye as a manager. Not really a place to shine. And it was still a league higher.
  • edited September 2017
    Cant really compare Mendonca | Holmes | JBG though as they're completely different players

Holmes has the ability to get past anyone and stick it in the net from anywhere on the pitch... Mendonca on the other hand was a proper Striker who was damned good at getting himself into the right positions, definitely didnt have the pace or skill to take on half a team... Same with Gudmundsson who was more a David Beckham type winger, i.e. was quick but not THAT quick yet had a brilliant peg on him!!

I dont remember much of him but would you have to go back to Paul Mortimer or John Robinson (Who I definitely remember) to find someone very similar to that of Ricky Holmes? - Definitely havent been many wide midfielders over the years in a Charlton shirt who could even come close to the consistency of what Holmes does.

Apps 39
    Top Three 7
    MoM 1

Goals 6
    Assists 14

Had his goals and assists been the other way around I think he'd have been seen to have a very good season, even if it would give the same result.

I can't really think of a midfielder we've had in recent years that had the goals, assists, consistency and work rate that Holmes has.

Had we kept Andy Reid for longer he could have done it in the Championship. JBG could have done in a better team. Lookman could have scored the goals but didn't tend to get assists.
  • Yann and JBG

I slated Holmes after his first couple of games and thought he was shite, never been more wrong about one of our signings.
  • Cant really compare Mendonca | Holmes | JBG though as they're completely different players

Holmes has the ability to get past anyone and stick it in the net from anywhere on the pitch... Mendonca on the other hand was a proper Striker who was damned good at getting himself into the right positions, definitely didnt have the pace or skill to take on half a team... Same with Gudmundsson who was more a David Beckham type winger, i.e. was quick but not THAT quick yet had a brilliant peg on him!!

I dont remember much of him but would you have to go back to Paul Mortimer or John Robinson to find someone very similar to that of Ricky Holmes?

but the question was .. 'who was the last attacking player as impacting and effective as him in Your opinion? ' .. not to compare like with like .. and don't disregard Mendonca's passing ability, might be rose coloured back specs but I rarely saw him make a bad pass
  • Under Luzon, both JBG and Bulot had a great few games when both looked incredibly dangerous. Yet another false dawn...
  • I think every team has that one player that you view as your best so the recent comparison would be with JBG and prior to that Yann.

I do genuinely believe though, that there's not been a player that's had his impact since Mendonca (possibly Darren Bent). It's rare for any club to have a player that can change the game in an instant as consistently as Ricky can, particularly at our level.
  • edited September 2017

Holmes is wasted at Charlton in the current team and I'm sure he must regret staying. I do feel he could play at Championship level.

Was thinking this the other day - Over the summer the question was raised whether he'd want to leave Charlton for Sheffield United and so have a chance at the Championship (despite his age), at the moment it looks as though he could also have turned down a chance in the Premier League if Sheff Utd stay where they are for the season

Nor can I imagine Wilder wanting him if they do make it to the Premier League as would be a massive risk
  • edited September 2017

I think every team has that one player that you view as your best so the recent comparison would be with JBG and prior to that Yann.

I do genuinely believe though, that there's not been a player that's had his impact since Mendonca (possibly Darren Bent). It's rare for any club to have a player that can change the game in an instant as consistently as Ricky can, particularly at our level.

good post .. how could I have forgotten deadly Darren ? .. still agree about Clive M though
  • Sponsored links:

• Tony Watt for a couple of games, and don't think we saw enough of Lookman to make a bigger impact.
  • I always felt with Andy Reid a free kick was like getting a penalty. Had an absolute wand of a left foot.

• So in Room 101 style...

I'll accept Kermorgant, find that one very hard to disagree with when weighing up the variables.

I'm rejecting Lookman, no question he is a better player, technically in a different league to Holmes and has oodles of potential, but he did not have the stand out impact on our team and in influencing / changing matches like Holmes has had.

I'm on the fence with Gudmundsson. I'm probably leaning slightly to Holmes in terms of match influence despite JBG being 'the better footballer'

Andy Reid - Bit further back but not a bad shout. The sheer number of goals BWP scored one season would also give him a high weighting.

oi .. wot abaht Mendonca ?? ... ((:>)
  • too far back
  • too far back

yeah 20 years is a long time .. but this season is the 20th anniversary of that great Curbishley team at Wembley .. little has been made of it on here .. or is it 'just too far back' to still count as a happy memory (still not as far back as the ever lauded Jimmy Seed though)
  • Oguchi Onyewu