Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

The Ashes 2017-18

Comments

• Underwhelmed with Vince/Balance/Ball
    pleased for Foakes/Overton/Crane

I am with you there. I think they like the taller seamers like Ball because of the bouncier pitches. But we are not overloaded with both batsmen and bowlers hammering the door down for selection. I am a Kent fan but I wouldn't have chosen Northeast.

• Botham laying into Stokes - totally agree but "pot, kettle and all that".
  • Finn Wood Rashid Curran Burns and Robson must be with the lions.

We will need some players to call up when it all goes pear shaped.

Anderson to 'do a Swann' and ditch the tour as the wheels start coming off.

Cook to retire at the end of the series.

You're trying to wind me up Canters, and it's working.

FUCKING NORTHEAST

:-)
    Not winding you up mate I agree. Sam should be with the lions minimum. The 2 batsmen I listed are openers. Sam is not.

I would add him and Plunkett to that list too
  • Underwhelmed with Vince/Balance/Ball

Tend to feel the same, was hoping Robson, Jo Clarke and Porter, but always knew this was unlikely. Balance's selection just boggles the mind after his recent Test record. I like Vince but again his form has not been great.
    Seriously worried by the squad, particularly if ABH Stokes has to stay behind. We obviously have about 7 or 8 top quality players and while I like Stoneman and Malan, the Aussies will go after them if they get the slightest sniff of a weakness.
    What's the betting the first ball that these two get will be short and pretty quick?
  • Westley is picked for the latter tests with Vince and Ballance having been discarded earlier and rightly so .. Westley should be gong instead of either of these .. I would not have selected him, but Hales would be a better choice than either V or B.

overall the selection has a lot of weaknesses, indicative of the fact that outside the core test and one day selections, there is a dearth of outstanding English talent in the county game
  • Looks to me as if he quite properly defended himself against a group of assailants one of whom had a weapon.

When you're attacked and outnumbered you have to make every blow count.
  • He's getting married on Saturday, I wonder where his Stag Night is?
  • ECB will make no further comment on situation until police investigation has concluded.
  • If someone's threatening you with a bottle they deserve what they get.

Pretty sure David Warner is thinking thank fuck it was Rooty I hit.
  • Sponsored links:

• Nothing wrong with it , the geezer tried to do him with a bottle so he kicked the shot out of him fair play to him it's got fuck all to do with cricket let him play
  • MrOneLung said:

If someone's threatening you with a bottle they deserve what they get.

Pretty sure David Warner is thinking thank fuck it was Rooty I hit.

Stokes vs Warner to decide the Ashes...
  • dickplumb said:

Underwhelmed with Vince/Balance/Ball

I am with you there. I think they like the taller seamers like Ball because of the bouncier pitches. But we are not overloaded with both batsmen and bowlers hammering the door down for selection. I am a Kent fan but I wouldn't have chosen Northeast.

I'd have chosen Joe Denly, who can open or play number 3.
  • Can't we sign a couple of South Africans?
  • Can't we sign a couple of South Africans?

Or Sangakkara...
  • holy shit that footage!
  • jamescafc said:

Is anyone going? If so drop me a PM and we can meet for beers

Will be at all 5 days at the WACA, probably along with @ozaddick if he ain't working.

Usually head to the Carlton pub most lunches, and most afternoons the way England normally perform in Perth!
  • Can't see Stokes ever playing for England again after that video has come to light. Strauss stopped KP playing for sending a few texts.

Footage has screwed him regardless of the context/provocation.
  • If someone has reported him for assault for that they need to have a word with themselves

Young man gets involved in pavement dancing shocker. If Steven Gerrard got off with properly thumping someone several times clear as day then Stokes will get off that. I've had far worse rucks with mates of mine when boozed up especially when I was his age.

Not that I don't think he hasn't been stupid putting himself in the position to be involved with something like that.
  • Good job that he is more accurate when trying to hit the ball.
  • Sponsored links:

• WSS said:

Can't see Stokes ever playing for England again after that video has come to light. Strauss stopped KP playing for sending a few texts.

Footage has screwed him regardless of the context/provocation.

And the fact that Hales tries to pull him away a number of times but all he does is lash out at him.

Had this been footage of Warner or Ponting or even the much loved Roger Johnson what would we be saying?

Until we get to hear the full facts it is difficult to attach blame but, what is clear, as a professional sportsman (and not out of season), he shouldn't have been in that position at 2.35 in the morning. Yes players "do have to let their hair down" but there are times and ways and means of doing it.
  • Hales-Your mate is Being threatened with a bottle, two on one and you don't wade in to help...

• MrOneLung said:

Hales-Your mate is Being threatened with a bottle, two on one and you don't wade in to help...

Unless I'm mistaken the footage shows the guy try (and not very convincingly) to hit someone else with the bottle and it is then that Stokes wades in? Hales must shout Stokes' name more than half a dozen times to stop him allied with "enough, enough, enough" and tries to drag him away but Stokes is having none of it. None of the other men try to hit Hales either.

As I say we don't know what caused the fracas. But he should not have been there in the first place. Six players went out together after the game but only two of them were prevented from playing yesterday and one of those two was Hales who had to travel back to Bristol to give a statement.
  • I think in the first half of the video Stokes doesn't come off too bad. It seems like the guys are trying to provoke a fight and Stokes is standing up for his group. It's the last bit of the video that will cause him problems. He's landed a few blows and the guys back off a bit but he continues after them trying to hit them while they're backing off. That could be his downfall.
  • From The Guardian last year:

Stokes made his debut for Durham’s one-day first team at 17. By the age of 20, he was playing one-day cricket for England. But then ill-discipline got the better of him. In 2013, he was sent home from Australia after ignoring a curfew and going out drinking. Could he imagine himself doing a similar thing again? “No,” he says instantly. Because he doesn’t want to? “No, I’d love to. But I’m more professional than I was back then.” He was on the verge of destroying his career before it had barely started. “That was a time I could have blown it. I could have come back from that and not changed.”

Stokes returned home, determined not to let himself down again. There was another factor in his new sense of responsibility. At the age of 21, he became a father. He now has two children – three-year-old Layton and baby Libby. (His partner Clare Ratcliffe describes herself on Twitter as “cricket widow and PA to Ben Stokes!”)

Did becoming a father change him? “Yes. Commitment was the hardest thing to get my head round. Me and Clare have got a very good relationship where she knows that, as important as the kids and her are, my friends are very important to me as well. She knows whenever I’m away for a long period of time, I’m desperate to see them also.”

That’s very understanding of her, I say. So you can go out drinking just like you used to? He grins. “No chance, because I wake up with a three-day hangover now.” He’s a funny mix – in some ways much older than his years, in others still so boyish. I ask what his drink of choice is. “Jägerbombs!” How many can he get through in one night? “I’ve lost count after 20,” he says, but such nights are the exception now.
  • Riviera said:
    well Ben can certainly have a row .. be a good match for Rio Ferdinand .. my money would defo be on Stokes
  • edited September 2017
    How long before he is described in the press as "New Zealand born Ben Stokes"?
  • Why should it stop him why should it ruin his career

He was out having a few beers that clouded his judgement he gave a prick who tried to bottle him a good hiding

His mate tried to stop him but the mist was down

Its a nothing story that just shows how much people get outraged for nothing

• The Sun (once again) are complete and utter arseholes. Firstly they've gone digging for the video footage and found it, then published it, now they're going with "Ben Stokes faces being banned by England after a video emerged of him punching two people in the street". It only emerged after you published it on your website!

Then if/when he gets axed and it causes us to lose, they'll be the first to hammer the team for being shit. Absolute wankers.

my guess is whoever took the video made contact with the Sun pretty lively to earn themselves a few quid, all looks a bit too set up for me - that's not CCTV it's someone's phone

Stokes has been stupid, agree with the above that initially he's defending his mate....but he then carries it on and that's what's gonna get him in trouble