Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Property between The Valley and the O2

On my regular bus ride from The Valley to North Greenwich tube I've seen tons of new build apartment blocks. What's the thought as to whether they may be a good investment?
I'm looking to buy a two bedroom flat that would help us keep a toe in the London market should we decide to move to the wilds of Suffolk, which we may at some stage, when the boys are at college or working. We'd want to rent it out in the meantime.

Comments

• Theres another thread about this James, i'll see if I can find it.
  • They all look shoddy to me. And overpriced. I don't know your budget but houses in Plumstead are still relatively reasonable.
  • JamesSeed said:

On my regular bus ride from The Valley to North Greenwich tube I've seen tons of new build apartment blocks. What's the thought as to whether they may be a good investment?
    I'm looking to buy a two bedroom flat that would help us keep a toe in the London market should we decide to move to the wilds of Suffolk, which we may at some stage, when the boys are at college or working. We'd want to rent it out in the meantime.

Can't you rent the place your in and buy the country retreat
  • edited September 2017
    iainment said:

They all look shoddy to me. And overpriced. I don't know your budget but houses in Plumstead are still relatively reasonable.

Very well built mate - I know, I've got one. Knight Dragon pumped a lot of money into the Peninsular, and they didn't muck about with spec mate, believe me.
    They certainly aint no Wimpy built cardboard boxes
  • Woolwich would be a better, if slightly more edgy, option and with better transport links IMHO
  • What's the budget James?
    I know of a flat coming up for sale soon.
  • What's the budget James?

It's only a vague thought at the moment, but 300k ish.
  • Woolwich would be a better, if slightly more edgy, option and with better transport links IMHO

I'll do a search.
    Basically I saw a financial adviser recently, and sort of have a choice between the usual investments or property, or a bit of both.
    Plus I'll need to keep a load set aside for my Jimmy Seed book ;-)
  • Sponsored links:

• JamesSeed said:

Can I recommend the wilds of Norfolk as opposed to Suffolk James!
  • JamesSeed said:

What's the budget James?

So you'd like to buy a bike shed on the peninsula?
    Yeah yeah yeah
  • edited September 2017

JamesSeed said:

In laws live near Bury St Edmund's. Nice countryside around there, great for cycling, not too far from the trendy bits near the seaside.
    Norfolk good too though.
  • Shooters Hill has a very desirable residence for sale.
  • JamesSeed said:

What's the budget James?

you best look at Woolwich then mate
  • JamesSeed said:

What's the budget James?

Not too much in Woolwich on that budget either. Plumstead perhaps although it depends what you want.
  • JamesSeed said:

JamesSeed said:

In laws live near Bury St Edmund's. Nice countryside around there, great for cycling, not too far from the trendy bits near the seaside.
    Norfolk good too though.
    Yep. Bury a nice area mate. I was based at RAF Honington (in between Bury and Thetford) for a while and know Suffolk quite well. Some lovely villages around that area.
  • JamesSeed said:

What's the budget James?

Yep, a 1 bedroom on the Arsenal is possible for just over £300.000
  • JamesSeed said:

Woolwich would be a better, if slightly more edgy, option and with better transport links IMHO

I'll do a search.
    Basically I saw a financial adviser recently, and sort of have a choice between the usual investments or property, or a bit of both.
    Plus I'll need to keep a load set aside for my Jimmy Seed book statue ;-)
    Fixed that for you.
  • Sponsored links:

• bobmunro said:

anyway, what you doing looking for a flat for - youve got your own stand in Charlton !

Which could one day be flats.
    That’d be ideal. And I could make Dûchatelet even richer in the process.
  • anyway, what you doing looking for a flat for - youve got your own stand in Charlton !

He wants a south facing lawn.
  • Area always feels bleak to me - agree with those suggesting a proper house instead.
  • The flat’s really just for income/investment purposes.
    I’m unsure about handing quite a decent sum over to a financial adviser, so was thinking of buying some property, and giving him a smaller sum to invest.
  • Now if 33 New St Hill came on the market....
  • Area always feels bleak to me - agree with those suggesting a proper house instead.

It all depends on what your individual circumstances are - JS said he was looking for an investment - therefore i would suggest that a flat in NG is gonna be a better bet than a 2 up 2 down in Plumstead.
    Whats there not to like?, its close to Tube,O2,River,Canary WHarf and Charlton - does Plumstead do that ??
  • JamesSeed said:

The flat’s really just for income/investment purposes.
    I’m unsure about handing quite a decent sum over to a financial adviser, so was thinking of buying some property, and giving him a smaller sum to invest.

Yes, because financial advisors are just greedy money grabbing shysters who know nothing about where best to invest one's money - whereas doing it yourself & buying a rental property is a no-brainer & better value for money.

It all depends on what your individual circumstances are - JS said he was looking for an investment - therefore i would suggest that a flat in NG is gonna be a better bet than a 2 up 2 down in Plumstead.
    Whats there not to like?, its close to Tube,O2,River,Canary WHarf and Charlton - does Plumstead do that ??
    I would guess that well built terraces have held their value much better than new build flats over the years and have a much deeper potential buyer pool.
  • edited September 2017

Area always feels bleak to me - agree with those suggesting a proper house instead.

I would guess that well built terraces have held their value much better than new build flats over the years and have a much deeper potential buyer pool.
    Nah, your guess is highly flawed. Clearly overseas investors would much rather have a terrace in Plumstead than a new apartment near the tube and all the action.