Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

The Ashes 2017-18

Comments

• TRJ looks to be a major doubt for tour. Back injury. Not convinced by Stoneman/Malan/Westley/Jennings/Balance - Yet 3 of these will probably be in the party. Hopefully one of them will click. I don't think they would have risked Hameed regardless of injury - a good tour for him to miss. He has plenty of time.

I guess in Cook/Root/Bairstow/Stokes/Moeen/Broad/Anderson/Woakes we have the basis of a good side - these guys have to stay fit though.

Would take Mark Wood & Jos Butler.

Spinner: Rashid ahead of Dawson. Selectors stated recently that there would be no surprises. So not Mason Crane?? That said he has played grade and state cricket in Australia - so maybe not a surprise?? Defo one for the future.

Extra quickie (in view of TRJ injury) - Steven Finn just took 8-79 v Lancs. Was also part of successful ashes team to Australia in 2010/11.......

• I am not totally devastated by the injury to TRJ, I felt at his pace on those pitches without swing he could have been cannon fodder.
  • CHG said:

I am not totally devastated by the injury to TRJ, I felt at his pace on those pitches without swing he could have been cannon fodder.

At the risk of being accused of blasphemy given his magnificent career for England might the same also be true of Jimmy?
  • LenGlover said:

CHG said:

I am not totally devastated by the injury to TRJ, I felt at his pace on those pitches without swing he could have been cannon fodder.

At the risk of being accused of blasphemy given his magnificent career for England might the same also be true of Jimmy?
    Not entirely unfair. Jimmy's record down under isn't amazing. Broads is better but I can see him being carted about
  • CHGCHG
    edited September 2017
    LenGlover said:

CHG said:

Good point, but Jimmy did have a good 2010/11 series to fall back on, 24 wickets at 26, his stats in the last few years are highly impressive as well, add bags of experience and I have convinced myself.
  • CHG said:

LenGlover said:

CHG said:

Good point, but Jimmy did have a good 2010/11 series to fall back on, 24 wickets at 26, his stats in the last few years are highly impressive as well, add bags of experience and I have convinced myself.
    Agree re: Anderson. His control/experience are key to England. Must stay fit though. Will be his last Aussie tour, so will want to go out on a high.
    2010/11 was an interesting series, despite losing Broad early on, there were no weak links in the attack with Anderson, Swan, Tremlett, Breslan & Finn all contributing. We don't have that depth now.
  • It's a bit curious that Root is keen to push his county colleague Ballance, but seems really against his county colleague Rashid, who's a far more sensible pick than Crane who's incredibly young for a spinner and completely unproven.
  • LenGlover said:

CHG said:

Not at all Len, both Jimmy and Broad are in the autumn of their careers. I remember Darren Gough reaching 200 wickets and at the time never seeing another English bowler achieving that feat. Broad and Anderson are, statistically, the best pair of bowlers we have ever had. However as an older chap I find it hard to accept that they really are are the best. Statistics don't lie, but they don't tell the whole truth. There are a lot of cheap international wickets around these days, there is not ONE international team in the modern era that dominates both home and away. For whatever reason India, England, Australia and S Africa are pretty good at home and appalling away. It could well be one Ashes series too many for both.
  • Cook
    Stoneman
    Root
    Bairstow
    Malan
    Stokes
    Moeen
    Foakes
    Woakes
    Broad
    Anderson

That would be my side

Robson/Burns
    Westley
    Rashid
    Wood
    Finn

Would make up the squad.

In an ideal world would have Root at 4, but even I have to admit that we have no serious options there and we cannot have such a fragile top 3. Time for the skipper to step up.

We know Bairstow is capable of batting in the top 5 so let's use him there when we are so short of batsmen. Ideally I'd have him at 5 but as a senior player he needs to step up. Likewise he will be disappointed to lose the gloves but it's for team so that's that. It isn't the long term solution but the best we have for this series.

Foakes to come in as keeper and is more than capable of batting 7/8.

Hope Woakes finds a bit of that form and pace and bounce and hostility he had previously that got him into the side. TRJ is a loss. So is Hameed.

The likes of Curran and Crane have to be with the lions squad but not so far away they can't get a call up.

Suspect we are more likely to see balance and Jennings than some that I've mentioned.

Really bot a fan of Hales in the long format but he is very similar to some of the Aussie batsmen who have made the transition from limited overs to test. So I wouldn't be averse to him getting a go although it has to be at 5.

• In my mind we are 2 batsmen off a top class team. We are also a spinner and quick away from a world class team.

We have a chance but we will be carrying 2 players. We just have to hope we find the right combination, and pray our key players perform out of their skin.
  • Sponsored links:

• Riviera said:

LenGlover said:

CHG said:

Not at all Len, both Jimmy and Broad are in the autumn of their careers. I remember Darren Gough reaching 200 wickets and at the time never seeing another English bowler achieving that feat. Broad and Anderson are, statistically, the best pair of bowlers we have ever had. However as an older chap I find it hard to accept that they really are are the best. Statistics don't lie, but they don't tell the whole truth. There are a lot of cheap international wickets around these days, there is not ONE international team in the modern era that dominates both home and away. For whatever reason India, England, Australia and S Africa are pretty good at home and appalling away. It could well be one Ashes series too many for both.
    There have always been cheap wickets available. The big difference is that Jimmy and Broad have been England bowlers for the best part of 10 years, whereas all their predecessors before central contracts have been county bowlers, who then played for England as well. The amount of overs they would bowl for their counties, 6 days a week in 3 formats (and none the physically easy T20 format), it's hardly surprising they struggled to last as long as modern Test players who get massive amounts of rest.
  • edited September 2017

Riviera said:

LenGlover said:

CHG said:

There have always been cheap wickets available. The big difference is that Jimmy and Broad have been England bowlers for the best part of 10 years, whereas all their predecessors before central contracts have been county bowlers, who then played for England as well. The amount of overs they would bowl for their counties, 6 days a week in 3 formats (and none the physically easy T20 format), it's hardly surprising they struggled to last as long as modern Test players who get massive amounts of rest.
    I agree that central contracts have helped fast bowlers in international cricket to an extent but to the detriment of the county game. We play too much international cricket and not enough quality 1st cricket. However "cheap wickets" are more prevalent now than ever before, and I don't just mean Bangladesh, Zimbabwe etc. Australia and India amongst others are such poor tourists. Australia have not won an Ashes series in England since 2001.
  • CHGCHG
    edited September 2017
    There were also plenty of cheap wickets with uncovered pitches in the past. I would like the stats on average runs for the final 5 wickets as well over the past 10 years. Most bowlers are more than handy with the bat. Eng, Aus and India all have very strong tails. The days of Tuffers, McGrath, Malcolm Srinath etc are gone.
  • Test matches in England will be reduced to four days from five after the 2019 Ashes.

Play will start at 10.30 and as all grounds have floodlights there won't be any issues extending play to get the extra overs in.

This could benefit those sides with deep bowling resources like ourselves - not sure how many overs would be expected to be bowled in a day but I would assume minimum 100 and possibly 110. We always have five bowlers in our side (and sometimes six) but those who only have four (with the possibility of one having a niggle) will be exposed.
  • I have not heard that. When was that announced?
  • MrOneLung said:

I have not heard that. When was that announced?

It's not been officially ratified but, as this article suggests, it is just a "rubber stamp exercise" for it to come into effect.

telegraph.co.uk/cricket/2017/09/23/exclusive-test-matches-england-cut-five-four-days-ecb-plans/
  • That's a shit idea
  • Absolutely no justification for this.
  • Hmmm not sure about this, but as usual, its all about money.
    The fact that 43 per cent of Tests finish inside 4 days anyway means that when playing the likes of Sri Lanka, Windies,Bangla, it is probably a good idea. Not sure about the bigger teams though.
  • Good job that we rarely lose whole days to the weather in this country.
  • Sponsored links:

• Agree with Bermuda re his batting doubts. I'd like to see Haseem even if he arrives late and perhaps Hales at five with Bairstow moving up the order.
  • Buttler and Hales with their indifferent form (and I know it's one day stuff) have surely played their way out of the tour
  • I have read on here that there will be no surprises in the squad. Well, if the rumours are correct James Vince, with a Test average last year of 19.27 and 592 county championship runs at an average of 34.82 this season, is in the squad.

Sam Northeast (1011 runs at an average 56.16 albeit in Div 2) must wonder what he has to do to be given an opportunity.
  • Liam Plunkett anyone?
  • Liam Plunkett anyone?

I was thinking yesterday that Plunkett could do a good job on the bouncier pitches in Australia.

• My team:

Stoneman
    Cook
    Root
    Northeast
    Hales
    Stokes
    Bairstow
    Moeen
    Woakes
    Broad
    Anderson
  • I have read on here that there will be no surprises in the squad. Well, if the rumours are correct James Vince, with a Test average last year of 19.27 and 592 county championship runs at an average of 34.82 this season, is in the squad.

Sam Northeast (1011 runs at an average 56.16 albeit in Div 2) must wonder what he has to do to be given an opportunity.

Where have you heard this AA?

A mate just told me about this aswell. Craig Overton set to take the place of TRJ too.

Steve James of The Times - usually when him and Atherton reveal things in the paper they tend to be spot on.
  • edited September 2017
    Normally there would be no way that someone like Northeast should be given a wildcard for a series like this. Obviously the likes of Westley, Malan, Stoneman, Jennings, all failed to impress and so anyone batting in the top 5 will be under pressure and effectively a wildcard anyway.

For that reason, I think we need to take the pressure off. Root at 3 and Bairstow in the top 5 is a must IMO. Stokes and Ali could be shifted up a place aswell. We could even go:
    Cook
    Stoneman
    Root
    Bairstow
    Stokes
    Ali

Not the greatest top 6 but better than giving them a free wicket with someone like Ballance or Jennings. Think Hales should play 5, he knows International cricket. Would have gone with 5 seamers, possibly not now that TRJ is out, unless we started with Overton as can bat a little.