Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

My away day at Gillingham on Saturday

I must say - I didn't enjoy myself one bit and, sadly, it's not just about the performance.

It started poorly when I found my seat was behind the goal. A particularly crap view. I found my block of 4 seats were 3 in one block and the last one was across the steps in the next block. Not a big deal.

The seats in front had a mesh on them so you couldn't sit there - however those seats had been sold. The chief steward came over and said "There will be plenty of space - just let common sense prevail". I explained we had sold the end out and that this wasn't going to go well and he shrugged it off.

Anyway - the game started and fans filtered in late - delays caused by the bag searches - but that was to be expected so not really an issue. Until people found no seats available so just stood where they were. This continued into the second half and before long we were surrounded by fans effing and jeffing. I make no apologies for the language I am about to write because it all came out of Charlton fan's mouths on Saturday. My 5 year old heard it, an old lady heard it, everyone heard it.

"Oh fuck off Holmes you useless c*nt" when he misplaced a cross
"Fosu you're shit. You're a shitc*nt" when he missed a chance
To their grizzly bear of a keeper "I've fucked your mum. And your sister" or "your mum is a slag"
"Kashi you are shit - why doesn't Karl take the useless c*nt off"

And then at random moments in time "C*nt", "Break his fucking legs, the c*nt" "Don't let him run at you you c*nt"

I expect a bit of language but since when did this particular word become so mainstream and acceptable. I heard an old lady saying "Stop saying that - Would you say that to your mother" - she was told to shut up (words to that effect).

I just think it's unnecessary - maybe I'm in the minority.

Then there's the smoke bombs. That's just idiotic. One of the idiots has been arrested for possession of smoke bombs AND a knuckleduster (he's received praise on the Facebook page - what a role model!)

I left at the beginning of injury time but my friend in the Gills stand told me the end of the match was as ugly with fans snarling and hurling more abuse at the players at the end.

This isn't the club I love. I know it's not the majority and maybe I was just unlucky with where I happened to be sat - but I was embarrassed at the weekend. It's likely to be the last away game for my son for a while because I don't want him hearing that sort of language and thinking it's acceptable. And if he's doesn't go then I won't because I'd rather spend my time with him than some of the shaved chimps that attended on Saturday.

Oh - and to cap it off I missed the goal because my son needed a wee!

In summary ; Crap ground, crap stewards, crap match, missed the goal, idiots.

Rant over

Comments

• edited September 2017
  • Probably rolands fault
  • You've been in the posh seats too long!

As said to the other fella last week, not a game / stand I would take my little un to.

Organisation generally was a joke. Queued up for 25 mins to get in. Missed the start. Was probably a 1,000 still outside at ko. Had they delayed ko by just 5-10 mins they could have got everyone in and filtered people into seats. Instead by the time everyone got in aisles were being filled so you didn't have no choice but to stay there
  • Nicholas said:

Its a derby, people get pissed up. Gonna be a few that spout crap. Sometimes if you don't like something you just gotta move. Yes you shouldn't have to blah blah blah but if I had my boy with me then I would have moved. Rather then stay there so I had a story to tell everyone on Charlton Life Monday morning.

There was nowhere to move to. That's part of the problem.

• Sponsored links:

• Swisdom said:

Nicholas said:

Its a derby, people get pissed up. Gonna be a few that spout crap. Sometimes if you don't like something you just gotta move. Yes you shouldn't have to blah blah blah but if I had my boy with me then I would have moved. Rather then stay there so I had a story to tell everyone on Charlton Life Monday morning.

There was nowhere to move to. That's part of the problem.

I moved at half time to the top right. Block was less than a quarter fall, literally had a section to ourselves
  • Swisdom said:

As I said - I expect to hear a bit of language - but the specific words used, the frequency of it and the way it was being spat out was disgusting and unnecessary.

If you're comfortable with your kids saying things like that then that's up to you - but I am not.

Do you stop them watching news reports about murder... just incase they might be tempted to go do a bit of casual stabbing ?
  • There's a lot of anger around the club at the moment and that frustration manifests itself during football matches, especially terrible ones like that. Maybe you get a certain element of protection in the posh bit at The Valley where it's mainly brown nose and canapes.

The above being said, I'm not entirely sure how C*** has become acceptable word to use across football. For me it says something about the persons intellect if they can't come up with a better adjective than that.
  • Sponsored links:

• shine166 said:

Swisdom said:

As I said - I expect to hear a bit of language - but the specific words used, the frequency of it and the way it was being spat out was disgusting and unnecessary.

If you're comfortable with your kids saying things like that then that's up to you - but I am not.

Do you stop them watching news reports about murder... just incase they might be tempted to go do a bit of casual stabbing ?
    No because it's just on TV - the news is not being shouted by lots of angry, drunken louts

Point taken - I'll never complain about Charlton fans again. Close the thread.
  • wouldn't have taken my kids to that one to be honest, as and when I do take them to an away game it will be one with plenty of room to move about and where they'll actually be able to see the game

(so pretty much every other away game we have ;)
  • MrOneLung said:

it's a word - no more, no less.

As long as you bring your kid(s) to behave/speak how you want them to behave then that is fine.

You took them to a football match where that language is often heard - maybe that was a bad parenting decision.

Exactly. They're just words. If they're racist, sexist or aggressive towards you then you'd have a point. Idiots being idiots at a football match is no surprise, just use it as an example to your son that there are people like that and show him what not to become.
  • bellz2002 said:

To be honest I complete agree with @Swisdom . I wouldn't take my kids (when I have them eventually) to any away games for the reasons given.
    It's a massive shame and let's be honest here, there is no need for all of that language especially with kids around. I'll quite happily label people throwing smoke bombs and flares as morons as are those using the c word in front of kids.
    I know I will get pelters but hey, that's fine. Nothing wrong with getting drunk and having fun but there must be a line surely.

Where's that tin hat?

No tin hat required - I agree with you - especially the bit I've bolded.
  • Swisdom said:

"Oh fuck off Holmes you useless c*nt" when he misplaced a cross
    "Fosu you're shit. You're a shitc*nt" when he missed a chance
    To their grizzly bear of a keeper "I've fucked your mum. And your sister" or "your mum is a slag"
    "Kashi you are shit - why doesn't Karl take the useless c*nt off"

And then at random moments in time "C*nt", "Break his fucking legs, the c*nt" "Don't let him run at you you c*nt"

Wonder how many are the same people that tell others to stop moaning/protesting and support the team.