Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Game against Charlton last game for Ady Pennock

Comments

• Well thats just stupid if true
  • I'd heard Pennock would be sacked if the Gills lost. So it's just one step further.
  • Interesting quotes this week on how little,some of his squad are on

“What the players have got is endeavour and hunger. Maybe they are short a bit ability-wise but compared to other teams, we can’t go out there and spend £8,000 on players’ (wages).

“I would rather they have a go at me than the players. Some of them are on £400 a week playing for this club, other clubs are paying players £8,000 a week. What do people want?

“We have players on the bench on £200 a week. It is unheard of (at this level) but we gather the troops, put the carriages in a circle and we are Gillingham.

“If people don’t like the way we play, how we do things and how we dig in, then unlucky, because we are fighting for every ball.”

The Gills now face a Charlton team who are part of the upper-class of riches in League 1.

Pennock said: “They have got a massive squad, it’s like chalk and cheese between us and them, off the pitch as well. It is phenomenal.

“Financially, they have a lot of money and we have to be realistic but what we will do is give our all and that is all you can ask for.”
  • Brings things into perspective. I actually think that we don't have a "massive squad" but, yet again, a good eleven. Reeves and Marshall, when ready, add more depth to the squad any time since Roly rocked up, but I wouldn't call that massive.

Shoddy way to treat your manager, but not surprising given his chairman.
  • Someone was telling me earlier in the week that they are fucked financially.
  • edited September 2017
    Carriages in a circle eh
  • Someone was telling me earlier in the week that they are fucked financially.

There forum was saying we should have been given more tickets on the side to bring some money in, and hardly any home tickets had been sold
  • edited September 2017

Interesting quotes this week

“We have players on the bench on £200 a week. It is unheard of (at this level) but we gather the troops, put the carriages caravans in a circle and we are Gillingham.

• edited September 2017

Someone was telling me earlier in the week that they are fucked financially.

There forum was saying we should have been given more tickets on the side to bring some money in, and hardly any home tickets had been sold
    Yes, I know fans hate it when home areas are sold to away fans - I'm thinking of the Bournemouth title winning game at The Valley - but if a club is hard up, those extra 500-1000 seats could bring in decent money. Indeed I imagine many Charlton fans would be happy to pay more and sit in a proper stand!
  • edited September 2017
    Well thats tomorrows press articles written. "Impoverished, plucky, little Gills humble, bloated moneybags, giants Charlton, "it just goes to show that team spirit and hardwork can make a difference, our players really wanted it even though they earn less that a tenth of the spoilt Charlton players...............etc,etc".
  • Sponsored links:

• edited September 2017

Interesting quotes this week on how little,some of his squad are on

“What the players have got is endeavour and hunger. Maybe they are short a bit ability-wise but compared to other teams, we can’t go out there and spend £8,000 on players’ (wages).

“I would rather they have a go at me than the players. Some of them are on £400 a week playing for this club, other clubs are paying players £8,000 a week. What do people want?

“We have players on the bench on £200 a week. It is unheard of (at this level) but we gather the troops, put the carriages caravans in a circle and we are Gillingham.

“If people don’t like the way we play, how we do things and how we dig in, then unlucky, because we are fighting for every ball.”

The Gills now face a Charlton team who are part of the upper-class of riches in League 1.

Pennock said: “They have got a massive squad, it’s like chalk and cheese between us and them, off the pitch as well. It is phenomenal.

“Financially, they have a lot of money and we have to be realistic but what we will do is give our all and that is all you can ask for.”

That's better.
  • Being selfish, the outcome of this game is going to be a good indicator as to what sort of season we will have.
  • Being selfish, the outcome of this game is going to be a good indicator as to what sort of season we will have.

Having looking into Gillingham a bit more, I'd say the opposite. We are playing a team that imo is either going to be their 'last hurrah' under current management, or completely at sea and disjointed.
  • Yes but we should beat them and if Wigan was a blip we will beat them.
  • I do hope so MuttleyCAFC
  • £200 a week? Jesus wept I know blokes who were getting that playing for the likes of Carshalton and Whyteleafe over 15 years ago. Players weregetting £80 a game for Fisher (when they actually got the money that is)
  • Just bought my match pass on ifollow
    really easy this week, after a bit of effort to get it all set up for my first time using the service for Wigan game

just needed a couple of clicks to buy this week. All info was saved in ifollow accross from Wigan's service to the Gills' one.

Thumbs up for ease. Looking forward to the game
  • Yes but we should beat them and if Wigan was a blip we will beat them.

It'll be good to see the Wigan highlights afterwards too (they've got Bristol Rovers today)

- Did Wigan seriously raise their game because they couldnt afford to lose to both Shrewsbury and Charlton
    - Is that how Wigan always play
    - Was that a one off style performance, and we just happened to come up against a side who we're on their game for once
  • Was going to do the caravan joke, but I see that at least two posters have beaten me to it.