Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Ben Reeves (pg 11 - signed for Plymouth.)

In my opinion singing Ben Reeves has been a disaster, and Robinson has dropped a real clanger signing him.
My personal view is that I don't think that he ever really wanted to play for Charlton.
He spent all summer playing off one club for another, while he supposedly weighed up his options. Until a few days before the start of the season he graciously decides to sign for Charlton.

Because he f'd around all summer he hasn't done any pre-season training, now 6 weeks later in mid September he is still so unfit that he cannot even make the bench.

The wages and signing on fee that we are paying him could, and should have gone on signing a second decent striker.
Another striker is what we need, Not a quarter fit midfielder that might get himself fit for Christmas!

Comments

• Meant to be on the bench on Saturday.
  • Will be interesting to see if you are still of the same opinion come next May.
  • Will be interesting to see if you are still of the same opinion come next May.

Yes it will.
    When he is eventually fit I will have a better idea about him, but it doesn't alter the fact that he has wasted nearly two months of the season
  • On his day he is one of the best players in the division, I would not say its been a disaster.

I would say all players play off other clubs and he is entitled to take his time, you would do the same.

Fingers crossed you are very happy come May and are voting him as your POTY
  • Not a disaster, but frustrating that the one MKD player we signed missed a proper pre-season routine whereas the one we didn't sign , and who did join in with some of our pre-season (Martin) goes to Millwall

Still don't understand why we helped Martin in the summer but didn't sign him
  • edited September 2017
    Not sure who him or Marshall are earmarked to replace but neither are going to make us more robust or less suceptable to height. Another imbalanced squad. We can only hope for being in top 6 January prompting last ditch investment in physical players and a manager learning the need for a plan B when we go behind or are being bossed.
  • How can you make a snap judgement that he doesn't want to play for Charlton? at present he isn't fit and that has no bearing on it at all. Yes it took a while for him to come but you don't know what goes on whether that's down to us or him. Also maybe he was keeping his options open but now he has signed i am sure he will give his all.

Lets wait and see how he gets on when he is fit, the jury's out then.
  • Sponsored links:

• Right up there with other disasters such as the sinking of the Titanic, boxing day Tsunami the destruction of the World Trade Centre.
  • Not sure who him or Marshall are earmarked to replace but neither are going to make us more robust or less suceptable to height. Another imbalanced squad. We can only hope for being in top 6 January prompting last ditch investment in physical players and a manager learning the need for a plan B when we go behind or are being bossed.

Height hasn't been the issue this season though... Every time the ball has gone towards the box in the air its been dealt with by Bauer and Pearce... The corner we conceded from against Southend is the only header we've conceded from if I'm right? - Wigan especially barely got the ball off the ground!!
  • Not sure who him or Marshall are earmarked to replace but neither are going to make us more robust or less suceptable to height. Another imbalanced squad. We can only hope for being in top 6 January prompting last ditch investment in physical players and a manager learning the need for a plan B when we go behind or are being bossed.

No squad can have everything especially in League 1.

Powell's approach was more about making us solid defensively. Playing a 4-4-2 it was never about controlling possession. Ideally we would play attractive and exciting football but never at the cost of results. Our midfield was consistent and reliable but lacked pace.

Robinson's football is much more attacking with an aim to excite and score plenty of goals. Naturally that means our team won't be the most physical, we will never have such complete players while at this level.

I sill think last night the issue was too many players underperforming than having a super sub or two to change the game, or a clever plan B. Dodoo came on while Magennis stayed on so we had two strikers on the pitch.

Even if Dodoo had instead been Grigg it wouldn't have seen us pass the ball more accurately or press Wigan better.
  • In my opinion singing Ben Reeves has been a disaster, and Robinson has dropped a real clanger signing him.
    My personal view is that I don't think that he ever really wanted to play for Charlton.
    He spent all summer playing off one club for another, while he supposedly weighed up his options. Until a few days before the start of the season he graciously decides to sign for Charlton.

Because he fucked around all summer he hasn't done any pre-season training, now 6 weeks later in mid September he is still so unfit that he cannot even make the bench.

The wages and signing on fee that we are paying him could, and should have gone on signing a second decent striker.
    Another striker is what we need, Not a quarter fit midfielder that might get himself fit for Christmas!

Said this the day we signed him (on here - you can check if you like) & also said I wish we hadn't - and that is growing stronger as every day passes. He'd better be one hell of a player as he's got a lot to make up. Completely goes against KR's mantra of signing players who really want to ne here.

Also, he could have trained with MK Dons & done a proper pre-season or done what martin did. But no, he didn't & now we are reaping the rewards. I would be fining him for every week he isn't fit for selection. Sorry, but he has done himself no favours.
  • deja vu time (I hope not) ..

I hope the Reeves situation is not a repeat of the Gordon Bolland saga ...

a very talented player we signed during a period in the 60s when we were having some success, he got little game time, got frustrated, demanded a move and was sold to Millwall where he was a big hit ..

I remember to this day the painful sight of him coming back to haunt us during a period (another one) when we rarely, if ever beat the boys from New Cross ..

Reeves is here now, reserve judgment until he's fit and played a few games .. he will surely be needed at some time this season
  • edited September 2017
  • Don't worry, he'll be playing for STTV next season
  • Redrobo said:

He looked good against Crawley. I think it has been a sound decision to get him really fit as we have not needed his services. I think Homes is on 4 yellows so will miss a game very soon so coming on as a sub in a few games would be good.

Long old season so plenty of time for him to prove his worth. I think it will be worth the wait personally.

I thought a ban came after 10 & then 15.
  • Sponsored links:

• Must be injured to play 60 odd minutes then not even make the bench since
  • Redrobo said:

He looked good against Crawley. I think it has been a sound decision to get him really fit as we have not needed his services. I think Homes is on 4 yellows so will miss a game very soon so coming on as a sub in a few games would be good.

Long old season so plenty of time for him to prove his worth. I think it will be worth the wait personally.

There's one for 5 as well, if they're before the deadline
  • Redrobo said:

There's one for 5 as well, if they're before the deadline
    I think it's 5 Yellows within 19 games (League) - so I think he's getting banned!
    10 by a date in March
    15 for the season

Bans ove up one game each time, so he'l get a one game ban next yellow card.
  • I kind of get the sentiment you are making with this thread however In the 60 mins he played he covered a ridiculous amount of ground. Apparently he is a really tenacious little bugger and I think a few people will actually be surprised.

With him and Marshall we have the opportunity of going into October and November with two of the top five best players in this division last season haven't been completely rested and ready to go. Not exactly a disaster!
  • Swisdom said:

I kind of get the sentiment you are making with this thread however In the 60 mins he played he covered a ridiculous amount of ground. Apparently he is a really tenacious little bugger and I think a few people will actually be surprised.

With him and Marshall we have the opportunity of going into October and November with two of the top five best players in this division last season haven't been completely rested and ready to go. Not exactly a disaster!

Agreed. It does seem ludicrous that he's this unfit in this day and age, however
  • We'll never see him if he's been following the Tony Watt guide to fitness and training.
  • edited September 2017
    On his day - we've heard that before with a certain mr watt, in with the op no point signing someone that's not fit.
  • On his day - we've heard that before with a certain mr watt, in with the op no point signing someone that's not fit.

Really? one of the best players in this league on a free and you would not sign him because he has not done a pre season.