Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Which school were you at?

Comments

• Options
    Thought I'd throw in somewhere different, sir James Altham in Watford , one other Charlton fan and we started going to games and that was that.
  • Options

St Gregorys Catholic comp school, Tunbridge Wells
    1998-2003 possibly not sure on dates
    lol i was a proper sh*tbag

My eldest started there last week. Don't suppose you know Richard Coates, or the brothers Ben & Luke (can't remember their surnames)
  • Options
    Curb_It said:

This thread was started way back in 2007 and some of you have told us at least 3 times which schools you went to.

That statement is moderator like. I think you should follow it up with looking back through the thread, naming and shaming. Only the 23 pages :wink:
  • Options
    Curb_It said:

This thread was started way back in 2007 and some of you have told us at least 3 times which schools you went to.

Not dissimilar to threads about George Cole and his sad demise then.
  • Options
    bobmunro said:

Curb_It said:

Not dissimilar to threads about George Cole and his sad demise then.
    Don't tell me he's passed away? Used to love him in Minder. Would have thought he warranted his own RIP thread.
  • Options

St Gregorys Catholic comp school, Tunbridge Wells
    1998-2003 possibly not sure on dates
    lol i was a proper sh*tbag

My eldest started there last week. Don't suppose you know Richard Coates, or the brothers Ben & Luke (can't remember their surnames)
    I am not too sure i am afraid, Doesn't ring a bell. Good luck to your eldest
  • Options
    St Joseph's Orpington 1977 - 1979 (no longer there)
    St John Rigby, West Wickham 1979 - 1984 (no longer there).

Tony Cascarino was a couple of years ahead of me.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited September 2017
    Burnt Ash Primary (Bowie territory), then boarding school in Canterbury. Jimmy Seed drove me there on my first day in 1965, and told my parents they were cruel lol
  • Options
    edited September 2017
    @cabbles my son went to UKC but graduated the year you joined, you had a close shave :wink: and @AddickinSW16 I was captain of Conway Road School Football team in 1961/2 , did they still play in green shirts with white sleeves in your day?
  • Options
    RedChaser said:

Excellent now I have all your primary school details, all I need now are your bank account details, dates of birth and mother's maiden name :wink:

Good luck with that. I went to five 'primary' schools (it's a long story).
  • Options
    RedChaser said:

@cabbles my son went to UKC but graduated the year you joined, you had a close shave :wink: and @AddickinSW16 I was captain of Conway Road School Football team in 1961/2 , did they still play in green shirts with white sleeves in your day?

Does he remember a bloke that worked in Rutherford called Michael that served rice?

• Options
    Brampton and now my kids both go.

Then welling
  • Options
    cabbles said:

RedChaser said:

Does he remember a bloke that worked in Rutherford called Michael that served rice?

I'll get back to you, mind you I'm not sure he was up by lunchtime :wink:
  • Options
    RedChaser said:

cabbles said:

RedChaser said:

Michael rice was always on the evening shift. I'll look forward to his response
  • Options

St Joseph's Orpington 1977 - 1979 (no longer there)
    St John Rigby, West Wickham 1979 - 1984 (no longer there).

Tony Cascarino was a couple of years ahead of me.

I went to St John Rigby in the mid 90s during the thieving headmistress' tenure.

Jason Puncheon was in my younger brother's school team. Apparently the founder UK dubstep also went. Closed down now.
  • Options

Middle Park Junior School: 75 - 81
    Eltham Green: 81 - 86
    6th Form (Eltham Green / Thomas Tallis / Eltham Hill): 86-88

Mrs GA went to Middle Park about that time.
  • Options
    RedChaser said:

@RedChaser , this thread has got me feeling all nostalgic about my school days. I ended up looking at Plumstead Stories online and saw lots of photos of Conway Road school. I'm wondering if that school was different to mine. Mine was on Gallosson Road, just of Conway Road and heading towards Plumstead High Street, but I have no recollection of another school in the immediate area other than Bannockburn and St. Patrick's. Where was your school?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    cabbles said:

RedChaser said:

cabbles said:

RedChaser said:

Michael rice was always on the evening shift. I'll look forward to his response
    Reckons he can't remember........... hmmm, has fessed to having poached eggs and beans every day for breakfast though, something doesn't quite add up, I'll pursue it next time I'm face to face with him. :wink:
  • Options

RedChaser said:

@RedChaser , this thread has got me feeling all nostalgic about my school days. I ended up looking at Plumstead Stories online and saw lots of photos of Conway Road school. I'm wondering if that school was different to mine. Mine was on Gallosson Road, just of Conway Road and heading towards Plumstead High Street, but I have no recollection of another school in the immediate area other than Bannockburn and St. Patrick's. Where was your school?
    This thread has got me thinking I'll track down one of my cult heroes, Micheal rice
  • Options
    edited September 2017

RedChaser said:

It's the same one you went to mate wine was the school blazer Conway Castle the badge, apart from St Pats Griffin Road and Bannockburn Plumstead High Street there was Gallions Mount up by Winns Common where we used to play our home games. Wednesday afternoon football practice was by coach at Camdale Rd next to the cemetery, long since a paddock for horses.

edit; forgot to mention Earl Rise school near Anne St the other side of Griffin Road towards Woolwich and Brewery Road.
  • Options
    Eltham CofE 77 to 84
    Eaglesfield 84 to 89
  • Options
    RedChaser said:

RedChaser said:

It's the same one you went to mate wine was the school blazer Conway Castle the badge, apart from St Pats Griffin Road and Bannockburn Plumstead High Street there was Gallions Mount up by Winns Common where we used to play our home games. Wednesday afternoon football practice was by coach at Camdale Rd next to the cemetery, long since a paddock for horses.

edit; forgot to mention Earl Rise school near Anne St the other side of Griffin Road towards Woolwich and Brewery Road.
    Great stuff! If you're interested, do check out Plumstead Stories online. They have lots of photos of the school from the 1930s onward. What year did you leave? I had a teacher there who had been teaching at the school since the '60s.

Also, Steve Sutherland @Suthers , who many on here will know, I believe is a former Conway boy. I believe.
  • Options
    @RedChaser , also, we didn't have a football team really. We did enter a couple of tournaments in my time though (I was invited along to the Charlton school of excellence as a result!). I reckon we wore purple although I can't remember.

Uniform wasn't compulsory in my time. In fact, there was no uniform at all until they introduced a maroon jumper with Conway Castle on it, which was optional.

Since moving back to SE18, I've loved passing by the school. So many memories. Did you live nearby? I was on Miriam Road, off Conway.
  • Options

RedChaser said:

RedChaser said:

Great stuff! If you're interested, do check out Plumstead Stories online. They have lots of photos of the school from the 1930s onward. What year did you leave? I had a teacher there who had been teaching at the school since the '60s.

Also, Steve Sutherland @Suthers , who many on here will know, I believe is a former Conway boy. I believe.
    I would have been there through infants and juniors from 1955 to 1962 what was the teacher's name?
  • Options
    cabbles said:

cabbles said:

cabbles said:

Bonus Pastor secondary 93-98
    Christ the King 6th form 98-00
    Uni of Kent at Canterbury 01-04
    College of Law Guildford 05-06
    CL moderator school Apr 17 - present

You'd have been the year ahead of me at UKC then!
    All down the penny and then the works Monday night mate
    Pound a pint Wednesdays, 5 pints for 4 if you get a plastic pitcher at Woodys... Great times.
    cabbles said:

cabbles said:

cabbles said:

Munchies chicken meal deal on the way home.

Pound a pint Wednesdays, 5 pints for 4 if you get a plastic pitcher at Woodys... Great times.
    I opted to move out of park wood and go into halls at Keynes, so hardly frequented woodys. I remember being in there for the 1-0 win at blackburn on a Monday night. Hereiderson header

I'll be honest, part of the reason I chose UKC was to get back for Charlton. You could get a coach to home and away games back then from the Victoria hotel. Some bloke called Trevor ran it. He was a nice guy, but I haven't seen him in years

@cafctom is also ukc
    Same here - was working the turnstiles at the time! Meant I didn't get the coach as I needed to be there early but I did for a few years after Uni as stayed Canterbury way.

I was Darwin - Woodys and the Lighthouse were cheaper than Origins though!
    Yeah I guess. I had crap memories of my opening few weeks of Park wood so tended to stay on the main bit.

Lighthouse Friday nights. Origins was expensive, but had the Mexican food etc.

I always ate at Rutherford. Do you remember the guy that used to serve rice there called Michael? He always served the rice, nothing else. Had a very red face

My mates and I called him Micheal rice. Not to his face, but he was so good and just shouting

'More rice, do you want more rice. What have you got under that rice (i.e. When checking if you were hiding some form of meat)
    Haha no! Used to eat in Origins most evenings in halls - £3.50 'special' (i.e. whatever they needed rid of that night.

Did used to love the Rutherford breakfasts as a hungover brunch at the weekends though!
  • Options

cabbles said:

cabbles said:

cabbles said:

cabbles said:

cabbles said:

cabbles said:

Munchies chicken meal deal on the way home.

I opted to move out of park wood and go into halls at Keynes, so hardly frequented woodys. I remember being in there for the 1-0 win at blackburn on a Monday night. Hereiderson header

I'll be honest, part of the reason I chose UKC was to get back for Charlton. You could get a coach to home and away games back then from the Victoria hotel. Some bloke called Trevor ran it. He was a nice guy, but I haven't seen him in years

@cafctom is also ukc
    Same here - was working the turnstiles at the time! Meant I didn't get the coach as I needed to be there early but I did for a few years after Uni as stayed Canterbury way.

I was Darwin - Woodys and the Lighthouse were cheaper than Origins though!
    Yeah I guess. I had crap memories of my opening few weeks of Park wood so tended to stay on the main bit.

Lighthouse Friday nights. Origins was expensive, but had the Mexican food etc.

I always ate at Rutherford. Do you remember the guy that used to serve rice there called Michael? He always served the rice, nothing else. Had a very red face

My mates and I called him Micheal rice. Not to his face, but he was so good and just shouting

'More rice, do you want more rice. What have you got under that rice (i.e. When checking if you were hiding some form of meat)
    Haha no! Used to eat in Origins most evenings in halls - £3.50 'special' (i.e. whatever they needed rid of that night.

Did used to love the Rutherford breakfasts as a hungover brunch at the weekends though!
    I'm not gonna lie mate, this Michael bloke was held in cult status among my group. I've even considered going back down there to see if he works there

In my head I've played out me being on 'this is your life' and he's a guest
  • Options
    Brindishe Primary
    All Saints Blackheath Primary
    [CLASSIFIED]
    [CLASSIFIED]