Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Headphones/Earphones

I need something to plug into my iPod. I've never found those hard edged iPod earphones comfortable and always seem to lose the rubber grommets on other pairs I've had. So, I'm looking for some new earphones or fold-up headphones. Has anyone got any suggestions please? Main criteria is that they should be small, sturdy, comfortable and have a decent sound quality. They won't be a fashion accessory and I don't want those hi-bass ones that sound like your brain is being washed with brown noise, so I expect that stuff like Skullcandies and Dr Dres are probably not for me.

Comments

• Bose do pretty good ones. I've been using mine for a good amount of time now, had to have them replaced after a year and a bit but came under warranty. Clear sounding and able to hear the different layers of a song, being in to music they was an ideal reasonable priced good earphones compared to stuff like Dr Dres.
  • This. After using lots of brands of earphones I have found this to be the most comfortable, best quality and also very durable.

• Got some Bluetooth Philips headphones. Revolutionary
  • This. After using lots of brands of earphones I have found this to be the most comfortable, best quality and also very durable.

Seconded. Excellent quality for the money - 35 quid for a pair of headphones that have sound quality twice that of similar offerings
  • Alba 5 quid over ears from argos. You'll be the envy of all your mates.
  • They have really good unfussy headphones. Highly recommend them.
  • edited March 2015
    Just make sure no-one other than you can hear anything of whatever you are playing on them please. That is the only way to be sure you have bought quality.
  • Sponsored links:

• I bought a pair of Bose QC3's from their flag ship store in Regents Street last week. They on ear but have active noise cancelling. They are literally one of the best things I have ever bought. They are bloody expensive but you get a 3 year no questions warranty and utterly superb sound quality.

My wife bought me some RHA m600i's for my birthday last september, and whilst they are the best in ear headphones I've ever had, the jack has packed up after 5 months and they don't want to know about replacing them under warranty apparently I must have "mistreated" them.
  • I have SoundMAGIC MP21 as my every day ear buds. I've had expensive buds and over ears in the past but I just find they don't last any longer than half decent ones with the knocks and usual screw up and put in pocket happenings of every day life. Personally I wouldn't spend over £40 if they are your commute/general wear ones otherwise you'll be forking it out again each year or so.
  • I bought the Bose QC20i a couple of Xmas' ago...They are noise cancelling ear buds and I wouldn't travel anywhere without them!
  • I have Senheisser CX 300s, relatively inexpensive if you look around and solid sound.
  • I know nothing about headphones but please don't get the Beats by Dre ones, unless you're a professional footballer.
  • Another +1 for the Sennheiser. Just purchased a pair of In-Ear Momentum and they are absolutely superb.
  • Shure 215 are my current pair. Excellent.
  • Would second any pair of Bose earphones... they're expensive (and mine have been discontinued now) but they are really comfortable
  • Thank you all very much for your suggestions. A pair of Senheisser CX300s are on their way.

As nice as they were, I couldn't afford let alone justify, the Bose or Bowers options. I went for the Senheissers both for the sheer number of people recommending them and the fact that I've always had their over-ears at home and always been happy with them.

Cheers all!
  • Klipsch Image X10i , I've had these for about 4 years. Best in ear buds I've ever stuck in my ears. Not cheap but worth it.
    I've had various Senheisser phones and have a pair 880i at work, not as good as my Klipsch.
    Shure are another i would try.
  • Sponsored links:

• Nice one Stig, hope you shopped around as retailers love to profit from silly prices on headphones these days.
    Senheisser have been making cans for years.
    Obviously there are amazing head phones out there but silly money offerings designed for studio work.
    The funny thing is that people drop crazy prices for fashion (beats) or myth (bose) cans but play crap quality MP3's on poor players like ipods and think they are the bee's and eee's.

Definitely my favourite but I had to replace them every year. Durable is the last word I'd use to describe them.
  • se9addick said:

I know nothing about headphones but please don't get the Beats by Dre ones, unless you're a professional footballer.

I have a pair (I didn't pay for them!) and although I've tried to cover the 'b' with felt tip, the quality and durability is fine, and they're confortable. Not saying anyone should stump up that much cash, but they're not as bad as many have made out. That you can change the cable is a godsend for me. That's always the reason for me buying a new pair.
  • Sennheiser are industry standard for sound recordists and designers. Can't do much better balance wise, price isn't too high for what you get.
    I'm jealous. Only ever buy cheap Sony ones as I'm always losing them!
  • Looking to invest in a decent pair of wireless earphones for listening to music on my iPhone during the commute and wondered if there are any suggestions/recommendations?

Sennheiser appeared to be the standout on this thread and I see they do a couple of wireless options.
  • If you are listening to mp3s, don't waste your money on expensive headphones. I'd only spend big money if it was lossless.
  • Looking to invest in a decent pair of wireless earphones for listening to music on my iPhone during the commute and wondered if there are any suggestions/recommendations?

Sennheiser appeared to be the standout on this thread and I see they do a couple of wireless options.

I'd go Sennheiser or Bose dependng on budget. For a cheaper pair, JBL sound quality is up there without breaking the bank.

Be interested to hear people's view on this too. I've a pair of wired momentum on-ears and been pleased with them and I've been thinking about investing in either the over or on ear bluetooth momentums
  • I've got some Bluetooth AKG's, Y50 BT. They won awards in 2016, mostly used to connect to iphone when commuting - not cheap at the time but fantastic sound, probably been superseded by now.

Once charged last ages, but you do get cable in case they run out of juice.

Don't get too worried about names, try them out.
  • Rob7Lee said:

I've got some Bluetooth AKG's, Y50 BT. They won awards in 2016, mostly used to connect to iphone when commuting - not cheap at the time but fantastic sound, probably been superseded by now.

Once charged last ages, but you do get cable in case they run out of juice.

Don't get too worried about names, try them out.

Edit, just checked, they won best wireless sub £200 headphones last year