Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

CL's Favourite Albums: Rumours vs Bridge Over Troubled Water

Album Name: Rumours
Artist: Fleetwood Mac
Release Year: 1977

Isn't it amazing that this album even managed to make it onto the shelves given the well documented turmoil each band member endured during its production? Perhaps that's what makes it such a good record. So I guess it's not so surprising that it was created from a place of such raw emotion.

Track Listing:

1. Second Hand News
2. Dreams
3. Never Going Back Again
4. Don't Stop
5. Go Your Own Way
6. Songbird
7. The Chain
8. You Make Loving Fun
9. I Don't Want to Know
10. Oh Daddy
11. Gold Dust Woman

I think I have managed to copy Spotify links, so if you want to have a listen:

https://open.spotify.com/album/63k57x0qOkUWEMR0dkMivh

Album Name: Bridge over Troubled Water
Artist: Simon & Garfunkel
Release Year: 1970

Recorded in late 1969 and released in January of the following year, this was the duo's final album. It includes perhaps their two best known songs, Bridge Over Troubled Water and The Boxer and became the best selling album of all time, holding that title until the release of Michael Jackson's Thriller twelve years later.

1. Bridge over Troubled Water
2. El Condor Pasa (If I Could)
3. Cecilia
4. Keep the Customer Satisfied
5. So Long Frank Lloyd Wright
6. The Boxer
7. Baby Driver
8. The Only Living Boy In New York
9. Why Don't You Write Me
10. Bye Bye Love
11. Song for the Asking

Spotify link (hopefully):

https://open.spotify.com/album/0JwHz5SSvpYWuuCNbtYZoV

Which of these two classics resonates the most with you?

Comments

• Rumours. Full stop no comparison.
  • Both were a must in the LP shelves of suburban living rooms, including our own in Erith, I think for me BOTW is an easy win. The only living boy in New York being my fav track.
  • Whilst I find the title track grating, bridge over troubled waters is a beautiful record. Just about pips rumours in my book
  • Was immediately going to say Rumours but then I looked again at the track listing for Bridge & there are so many great songs on there (not withstanding the title track, my other favs are Keep the Customer Satisfied & Only Living Boy in New York).......

nah, Rumours every day of the week & twice on a sunday.
  • Hard one. Will listen to them again before voting.
  • As an 'album' it would be Rumours, and as a collection of class songs done beautifully and brilliantly it would be BOTW.

Hardest choice so far, but by a margin so flimsy it would be Rumours.
  • edited September 2017
    seth plum said:

As an 'album' it would be Rumours, and as a collection of class songs done beautifully and brilliantly it would be BOTW.

Hardest choice so far, but by a margin so flimsy it would be Rumours.

That was my first thought: album versus collection of songs, good shout Seth. I'm going to go back and listen to them again.
  • Have both. Bridge over troubled waters for me. Like it but Rumours a little bit too commercial for me. Preferred the original incarnation of Fleetwood Mac.
  • Dead heat for me.
  • Sponsored links:

• Really hard to choose, will go with Rumours but it's close.
  • Bridge over troubled waters for waters for me.
  • This is the most difficult one by miles.

Bridge over troubled water is fantastic, love every song on it and they are all beautifully written and performed.

And rumours is better.
  • Very, very difficult.

Both are superb albums by artists that sit in the pantheon. I listen to both regularly and know every word of every song on both albums.

If really pushed then BOTW - but it's a very close call.
  • edited September 2017
    "Oooo how do we keep our customers satisfied"

My immediate reaction and as others have already said because of, The Only Living Boy in New York.

Bridge of Sighs for me. They were never the same after Robin Trower left.
  • "Oooo how do we keep our customers satisfied"

My immediate reaction and as others have already said because of, The Only Living Boy in New York.

Was there a vote in there? :smile:

I'll give ya a clue, they often span rivers?

I'll give ya a clue, they often span rivers?
    Ahh, yes. Somehow missed that.
  • Sponsored links:

• Rumours for me.
    The depth of the writing; it's varied and yet totally cohesive thematically.
    And it kicks ass. Rock on Gold Dust Woman.

Bridge is great but more patchy in quality I think.
    I feckin' hate El Condor Pasa - it reminds me of Julie Felix, or some English teacher at school with beard, glasses and skid marks
  • edited September 2017

Rumours for me.
    And it kicks ass. Rock on Gold Dust Woman.

Bridge is great but more patchy in quality I think.
    I feckin' hate El Condor Pasa - it reminds me of Julie Felix, or some English teacher at school with beard, glasses and skid marks

True, Julie Felix did do her best to murder that song but I'm ok with it now.

Not JF but S&G version.
  • edited September 2017

Rumours for me.

That's a good point. Bridge is also varied, perhaps more so, but doesn't feel quite as cohesive on the whole.
  • Rumours, but don't tell any one, it's just what I heard and I think it's true
  • Rumours is a great album all the songs compliment each other and are excellent.
    BOTW is a great album and all the songs are excellent it's just that some are outstanding, on its own the title track aces any song on the Rumours album, so it's an easy decision. BOTW by a NewYork street.
  • Rumours every day for me but also loved BOTW.
  • Tough one. The boxer is one of my all time favourite songs and everything by S&G is a classic. But Rumours is a terrific album.

I'm on the fence.
  • both are classics (as well as selling shed loads)