Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Charlton vs Southend: post match views

Have it!!!! A good win, a good team performance against an organised side. 2 great goals

Over to you

Comments

• 2nd in the table!
  • Thought we were the better team other the 90 minutes. Their goal flattered them somewhat. 3 more points no complaints from me.
  • A very good result against a hard working and well organized Southend team. It would be great if we could follow it up with another 3 points against Wigan on Tuesday night.

I really believe that with a bit of luck on the injury front if we are there or thereabouts come Xmas automatic promotion will be very much on the cards.

COYR
  • Two brilliant goals and we were cruising but being Charlton we had to make things difficult and in the end we were hanging on.
    I though DeSilva was brilliant as was Solly.
    Three more points , no injuries and second in the league - Happy Days

• Sponsored links:

• Great stuff. well done to the lads.
    Keen to see the player marks later.
  • Sounds like a good day all round. I'm starting to believe we may be able to rid ourselves of this poxy league.
  • Good win today! Hard fought, a little bit of that our making by standing off.
    Thought Holmes, Clarke & DaSilva were very good but I thought forster-caskey was quite poor.

On the whole, good team performance but imo need to keep focused for the whole 90 minutes. COYR!
  • My first home game for about a year and very impressed.

Southend were strong and well organised and tough to beat but we beat them.

Worry we are too lightweight and lack a real striker. Clarke very skilful but maybe a luxury in League 1. Da Silva strong going forward but dodgy moments in defence. Pearce immense.

Overall a great game to watch. Wish they would get rid of the kids waving flags, embrassing, mascots and sort out the beer but cant blame the players for that.

Looking forward to Tuesday night.

• JamesSeed said:

First time in the East Stand. Liked it.

Ever?
  • Sponsored links:

• Sounds like played well after tricky start.

This is the season we should have had last year.
  • Scoham said:

That was a hard earned three points. Southend are well organised and not without flair. I couldn't really see the breakthrough coming today. Fantastic cross and great header by Josh. Ricky's goal was just pure Ricky. He's an absolute gem of a player. Love watching him. Thought Kashi was skating on thin ice early on a few times today. Not quite up to his high level of quality although he grew into the match. Didn't quite happen for Fosu either. Not through lack of effort but just too many poor decisions and what he tried didn't come off. Think Dodoo should have replaced Fosu on about 70 minutes. Brown set Southend up to press us high up the pitch and it worked. 2 - 1 was just about right but it could have been 2 - 2 quite easily. Starting to look like we will be top six or damned close. Still don't think we are ruthless enough to be top two. We won't keep too many clean sheets and you can't outgun every team. Chuffed to be sitting second though. We are a very tidy team and the best team we've had to watch for years and I mean Curbishley years.

Joint top scorers in the league...
    Yeah I know. I just don't see us grinding out those 1 - 0's away from home. Take your point though.

• Credit to Southend who pressed us high up the pitch and stopped us playing it around.

We needed to get the full backs forward to get the extra man and Solly put in a peach of a cross for Mags goal.

When Holmes scored it looked over but as with Northampton they scored with their first real chance but we saw it out.

Better team even if we weren't great.

Didn't work for Fosu today, Amos flappy, Clarke good, Pearce MOTM just ahead of Magennis.

Bit naughty putting the final score up on the screen before the final whistle.

Crowd was disappointing given how many said they were coming back today but it's not just about the football.

Happy with second but capable of higher.
  • From the start it looked as though Southend would be a banana skin and that they'd maybe break their hodoo against us (having not won against us since '96) - Nile Range is a player who needs to get his act together as there is definitely a player there and if it wasnt for his off the field issues I'd love us to sign him... As it is I wouldnt touch him with a barge pole.

For pretty much the first 50mins it was Southend who had the ball yet couldn't do anything with it whilst Charlton had to resort to breaking out on the counter-attack... Crossing from everywhere was poor (Fosu and Holmes were over-hitting it and Forster-Caskey on set pieces was awful today) yet then Chris Solly showed everyone why he's our number one Right-Back with delivering a peach of a cross and provided his knee issues dont return he'll finish his career as a Charlton player and bloody high up on the appearances list... that I have no doubt of.

We then got a second and felt that we could easily have gone on to win either 3-0 or 4-0 yet Southend are no mugs and got their goal which concerned me slightly because felt there was a possibility of a Oldham repeat yet the players definitely learned from last week and other than an Amos mistake, Southend never truly looked like scoring again.

Its a long way to go and at the moment the big matches are coming at the Valley first (would kinda prefer these wins to be coming away from home) yet on to Wigan on Tuesday with a repeat please!!
  • Excellent result today. Going to be our season