Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Sitcoms

Comments

• In no particular order:

Toast of London
    Garth Marenghi's Dark Place
    The League of Gentlemen
    Psychoville
    Man Down
    Camping
    Hunderby
    Nighty Night
    The Mighty Boosh
    Inside Number 9
    IT Crowd
    Black Books
    Spaced
    Ideal
    Uncle
    Derek
    Extras
    The Office
    Phoenix Nights
    Max and Paddy
    Bottom
    The Young One's
    Red Dwarf
  • 25May98 said:

I don't think I have seen a mention for 'Allo allo'?

Good job n'all.

Atrocious program.....it's in the same bracket as Last of the Summer Wine for me.
  • Loved toast of London. Matt Berry creases me up
  • In no particular order:

Toast of London
    The League of Gentlemen
    Psychoville
    Man Down
    Camping
    Hunderby
    Nighty Night
    The Mighty Boosh
    Inside Number 9
    IT Crowd
    Black Books
    Spaced
    Ideal
    Uncle
    Derek
    Extras
    The Office
    Phoenix Nights
    Max and Paddy
    Bottom
    The Young One's
    Red Dwarf

I get the feeling you're a Matt Berry fan.
  • McBobbin said:

Loved toast of London. Matt Berry creases me up

The episode with the girl who'd had plastic surgery that made her look like Bruce Forsyth was terrific.
  • edited September 2017
    Fiiish said:

In no particular order:

Toast of London
    The League of Gentlemen
    Psychoville
    Man Down
    Camping
    Hunderby
    Nighty Night
    The Mighty Boosh
    Inside Number 9
    IT Crowd
    Black Books
    Spaced
    Ideal
    Uncle
    Derek
    Extras
    The Office
    Phoenix Nights
    Max and Paddy
    Bottom
    The Young One's
    Red Dwarf

I get the feeling you're a Matt Berry fan.
    Bloke cracks me up.

Like his music as well.

Forgot Snuff Box!
  • Man about the house.
    Love thy neighbour.
    On the buses.
    Robin 's Nest.
    My wife next door.

Classic, classic stuff.
  • edited September 2017
    ...and how could I forget:
    To the manor born.
  • Riviera said:

Best 5 British Sitcoms:

1) Fawlty Towers
    2) Porridge
    3) The Office
    4) Whatever Happened to the Likely Lads?
    5) Dad's Army

There you are, that's that sorted.

Having had this very discussion with you last year, pissed in a curry house in Eltham, I must confess I've completely changed my mind.

During a particularly tough time for our family earlier this year, I watched, virtually on a continuous loop, the Fawlty Towers box set.
    It is, without a doubt, the finest comedy of our lives and I will fight anyone who says otherwise.

1. Fawlty Towers
    2. The Office
    3. Blackadder

Hope this helps.
  • Never really got into Dads Army.

Yes first time around but the endless repeats, NO!
  • Sponsored links:

• edited September 2017
    Licensed to Drill.
    New 'lost' OFAH film discovered and airing next week - an educational promo they did about oil drilling.
    Used in Science lessons set in their flat and based on some land Del bought for £400.
    Details here
    http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/tv/news/only-fools-and-horses-new-episode-discovered-the-story-of-only-fools-and-horses-uk-tvgold-a7941081.html
  • Wow, I've never flagged anyone before but I was close to flagging the op there!

Only fools is by far the greatest tv sitcom ever made. Nothing else comes close. Still watch it on a regular basis.

The only episode I ever found naff was the one in Miami
  • New version of Porridge on TV tonight starring @AFKABartram 's double as Fletch.

It's ok but it's not Ronnie
  • New version of Porridge on TV tonight starring @AFKABartram 's double as Fletch.

Watched about 10 mins, utter toilet, in fact it was plain embarrassing, the bloke who played Fletch, his timing was so far out it was a joke, it just was not funny.
    Why anyone would think this is ok to broadcast is beyond me......just write something new....!
  • Greenie said:

New version of Porridge on TV tonight starring @AFKABartram 's double as Fletch.

Watched about 10 mins, utter toilet, in fact it was plain embarrassing, the bloke who played Fletch, his timing was so far out it was a joke, it just was not funny.
    Why anyone would think this is ok to broadcast is beyond me......just write something new....!
    And so... what do you think..?
  • edited October 2017

McBobbin said:

...was watching the theatre episode of the IT Crowd last week and nearly pissed myself

That episode of the IT Crowd is, in my opinion, possibly the best single episode of a sitcom there has ever been.
    If you've never seen it, it's called "The Staff Outing" and it's on Netflix.

McBobbin said:

...was watching the theatre episode of the IT Crowd last week and nearly pissed myself

That episode of the IT Crowd is, in my opinion, possibly the best single episode of a sitcom there has ever been.
    I've found one called "The Work Outing" - am assuming it's that one...

[edit: Very funny. I cried.]
  • JamesSeed said:

McBobbin said:

McBobbin said:

Yes, that one, it's excellent.
  • JamesSeed said:

McBobbin said:

McBobbin said:

Lol. Yeah, that’s the one. My mistake. :flushed:
  • Never really got into Dads Army.

But you don't have to watch repeats if you don't want to.

JamesSeed said:

McBobbin said:

McBobbin said:

Watching 'The dinner party' over breakfast.
    How ironic is that. Snort.

• Don't mess with the classics !
  • Sponsored links:

• Sykes. One of the best IMHO.

Had all the hallmarks of great sitcom.

Two doors either side of set for entry and exit (all good sitcoms have them), cracking one liners, well thought out script and great people delivering the lines.

Dad's Army is a great second, two doors again, great delivery for the punch lines and well written.
  • edited October 2017
    Taxi_Lad said:

Honourable mention for Man About The House from years gone by and more recently Not Going Out (lee Mack is a genius)

As for OFAH we were just talking about it yesterday and a recently shown episode where Uncle Albert mixed up the coffee and gravy at the meal for Raquels parents

"Not only have you managed to sink every aircraft carrier and battle ship you've ever sailed on, now you've gone and knackered a gravy boat"! :smiley:
  • edited October 2017
    Greenie said:

New version of Porridge on TV tonight starring @AFKABartram 's double as Fletch.

Why on god's green earth was this ever commissioned?
    Pi55ing your license fee up the wall and waving it in your face after!
    What amount of brainstorming did it take for the buffoons at the BBC to have their 'lightbulb moment' and decide this was a good idea?

People are actually payed!......
    In money !!!!! to come up with this tripe!
  • Greenie said:

Why on god's green earth was this ever commissioned?
    Pi55ing your license fee up the wall and waving it in your face after!
    What amount of brainstorming did it take for the buffoons at the BBC to have their 'lightbulb moment' and decide this was a good idea?

People are actually payed!......
    In money !!!!! to come up with this tripe!
    Dipped in and out of this last night. Didn't raise a smile I'm afraid and IMO should be filed with Count Arthur Strong.
  • edited October 2017
    Still surprised there's not been a single mention of Outnumbered. RTS winning, written by Guy Jenkin. Hugh Dennis is excellent in it. Clare Skinner too. I used to play football with her brother, who we only ever called Skinner.

[Edit: Just spotted a couple]
  • JamesSeed said:

Still surprised there's not been a single mention of Outnumbered. RTS winning, written by Guy Jenkin. Hugh Dennis is excellent in it. Clare Skinner too. I used to play football with her brother, who we only ever called Skinner.

[Edit: Just spotted a couple]

Probably a generational thing. My kids loved it, I tried it, more than once, and only found it annoying.
  • edited February 2018
    I didn't watch Men Behaving Badly when it was originally on, don't know why really. Being re-run on Gold and it is highly amusing, maybe because it is so un-pc. Of course when it was made PC was in its infancy and it was seen as a witty, satirical observation on this new movement by comically and ironically showing "Lad Culture" as an antidote to this new wave of intolerance. Would it be commissioned today? No way! Do the BBC show repeats? No way! Thank goodness for UKTV, I find the program highly refreshing in the current climate.
    Some may say (and I can't wait!) I'm missing the point in the way some got Till Death... wrong and laughed at the bits they shouldn't have but I don't think I have.
  • Riviera said:

I didn't watch Men Behaving Badly when it was originally on, don't know why really. Being re-run on Gold and it is highly amusing, maybe because it is so un-pc. Of course when it was made PC was in its infancy and it was seen as a witty, satirical observation on this new movement by comically and ironically showing "Lad Culture" as an antidote to this new wave of intolerance. Would it be commissioned today? No way! Do the BBC show repeats? No way! Thank goodness for UKTV, I find the program highly refreshing in the current climate.
    Some may say (and I can't wait!) I'm missing the point in the way some got Till Death... wrong and laughed at the bits they shouldn't have but I don't think I have.

This is it, these programmes were PC because they were anti-the main characters. The subject matter may have been uncomfortable for some but they are satire really. The butts of the joke are the main protagonists, Tony and Gary were losers, losers that got in funny situations but losers all the same
  • edited February 2018
    JamesSeed said:

Never really got into Dads Army.

But you don't have to watch repeats if you don't want to.

JamesSeed said:

McBobbin said:

McBobbin said:

Watching 'The dinner party' over breakfast.
    How ironic is that. Snort.

Another cracking episode that. Not only are the main protagonists (plus Richmond) as good as usual, but there are superb performances from the supporting cast.
    Richmond’s date is just brilliant. Actually, Peter File is pretty great too.
  • Riviera said:

You do know that the BBC own UKTV right? It's a joint venture between BBC and Sky, it's why Gold is populated almost exclusively with old BBC shows. It's also a way to avoid the BBC paying money out. Pre-90s it was often the case that TV show actors would get residuals for repeats of shows. Christopher Biggins gets £50 for every repeat of Porridge shown on BBC1 and BBC2, Ronnie Barker's estate get's over a grand per episode, but they all get nothing when it's on Gold.