Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

John Motson (not an RIP)

Motty calls it a day, a hell of a lot of my childhood football memories revolve around Match of the day and I'm sad to hear he's leaving the Beeb. A very knowledgeable commentator with a real passion for the game.

http://m.bbc.com/sport/football/41159991

Comments

• Incidentally the first game Motty EVER saw was at The Valley - Charlton v Chelsea in April 1952 as he grew up in South East London although I think his team is Barnet
  • BBC 'talent' usually carries on until the grim reaper puts an end to their career .. but old Motty was a good un .. a walking, talking, grinning encyclopaedia of football trivia and a good commentator in his day .... I'll miss his short, sharp and relevant R5Live comments on the Friday and Monday 'club' nights
  • I reckon he'll be doing the world cup for a different broadcaster for serious money.
  • I reckon he'll be doing the world cup for a different broadcaster for serious money.

I really hope so, enough to keep him in sheepskin for the rest of his commentating days
  • And finally he told me he was at The Valley recently in connection to his sponsorship of Mark Marshall's shirt - he clearly has a lot of affection for us Addicks and why wouldn't he? I mean what's not to like
  • Incidentally the first game Motty EVER saw was at The Valley - Charlton v Chelsea in April 1952 as he grew up in South East London although I think his team is Barnet

He's so obviously a Spurs fan.
  • Great commentator. Up there with Barry Davies for me. Best of their generation. The late Brian Moore was never as good as either of them.

For me, when I think Motson, I think '81 cup final with Villa, '91 cup final with Gazza being stretched off...we wont mention '87 and Gary Mabbutt's left bloody knee!
  • I sat near him in the West Stand at a night game in the early 80's. Had a quick chat, seemed like a nice guy.
  • And finally he told me he was at The Valley recently in connection to his sponsorship of Mark Marshall's shirt - he clearly has a lot of affection for us Addicks and why wouldn't he? I mean what's not to like

Think it was the place where he first went to, to watch football as a kid.
  • Sponsored links:

• His father, William was a preacher in Abbey Wood,he must have lived locally for a time.
    http://www.lesnesabbeymethodist.org.uk/history4.htm
  • I've heard from a couple of sources that Motson is a great guy... if you're happy to talk about how great he is.
  • I had the pleasure of his company at the same table in a box at Cheltenham many moons ago. Motty is an absolute gentleman, modest to the core, and with a very dry wit. He likes to talk though!!

As others have said, he has a deep affection for Charlton.
  • He loves a beer too!
  • just watched the interview on the BBC website..........5 sec section of Motty at the Valley with the East Stand scaffolding - no dialog but I'm assuming that was him reporting a day or two before our Homecoming in Dec '92.
  • just watched the interview on the BBC website..........5 sec section of Motty at the Valley with the East Stand scaffolding - no dialog but I'm assuming that was him reporting a day or two before our Homecoming in Dec '92.

They had that on telly this morning - he was saying about how you always remember your first match.

I heard about someone who played for a team and Motty was honorary President, he was hoping to get him in the next Quiz night as the ultimate ringer.

And finally he told me he was at The Valley recently in connection to his sponsorship of Mark Marshall's shirt - he clearly has a lot of affection for us Addicks and why wouldn't he? I mean what's not to like

The sponsorship of ex-Barnet Mark Marshall ? :smile:
  • Christ on a bike, I remember Motty's MOTD debut :-(
  • JiMMy 85 said:

I've heard from a couple of sources that Motson is a great guy... if you're happy to talk about how great he is.

Can't beat a bit of 'hearsay'. Inadmissible in evidence though!!
  • Sponsored links:

• JiMMy 85 said:

I've heard from a couple of sources that Motson is a great guy... if you're happy to talk about how great he is.

Can't beat a bit of 'hearsay'. Inadmissible in evidence though!!
    Yeah I wouldn't take the stand on this one.... Although someone on Fighting Talk once did the subject of "Motty" as their Any Other Business, and made the same points!
  • Probably a decent bloke but one of the worst commentators ever. No were near the level of Barry Davies, Hugh
    Johns or Gerald Sinstadt
  • Probably a decent bloke but one of the worst commentators ever. No were near the level of Barry Davies, Hugh
    Johns or Gerald Sinstadt

So because he's nowhere near their level he's one of the worst ever?

Not his biggest fan by any stretch but labelling him one of the worst ever is very harsh!
  • JiMMy 85 said:

Better just to talk to him and make your own mind up Jimmy!
    Johns or Gerald Sinstadt

So because he's nowhere near their level he's one of the worst ever?

Not his biggest fan by any stretch but labelling him one of the worst ever is very harsh!
    To be honest I could have added to this list, not a good commentator at all.
  • He was a great commentator. More recently it's been a bit cringeworthy listening to him (commentate) so the right thing to do.
  • Personally I think he's a lousy football commentator. He just seems to name the player on the ball and is always about two seconds behind the play.

Still a legend though.
  • Addickted said:

Personally I think he's a lousy football commentator. He just seems to name the player on the ball and is always about two seconds behind the play.

Still a legend though.

Better than Jackie Oatley.