Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

iMac Question for the Lifer tech whizzes

edited August 2017 in Not Sports Related
My better half, has an iMac and uses it to store ALL photos she takes on her iPhone, Digital Camera and iPad.

Now the pictures are all there from her Phone and iPad but all the Digital Camera pics have dissappeared...

She spent hours looking for the photos, so I tried searching online and have tried the tips of looking in iPhotos etc but to no avail...

So does anyone know where they might be hidden? They have not been deleted, nothing has been deleted from it since 2016, yet the photos were there about 2 months ago as we were looking at them and reminiscing...

Any help would be hugely appreciated...

YES WE HAVE TURNED IT OFF AND ON AGAIN :lol:

Comments

• It's not happened to me before so I can't really help, but in my experience, something like this is usually an interface issue, where a folder has been hidden or you don't realise you're looking at a filtered list.

Since Steve Jobs decided to cure cancer with broccoli, things have gone downhill with iphoto and itunes.

Personally, I would try and find a filename for one of the missing pictures (if you have any of them anywhere else, say, sent on an email or something) and then do a spotlight search for the filename, and see if it exists on the computer anywhere.
  • Do a search for a DCIM folder. That is normally where pictures from external camera's get dumped.
  • Have you turned it off and turned it on again? :smiley:
  • Only DCIM images are from my old digital camera. None from her Canon (tried Canon, EOS, .jpg, .png etc)

It's really strange a lot of the pics were in her screensaver and it's just her Camera pics that have gone walkabout...

• See if you can unlock your private browser history.....that's where they will show up for sure.
  • Have you looked in her iCloud account?
  • Yep it's like they've literally disappeared from everywhere that uses an apple ID to access.
  • Did she put them in the Photos app or in their own folder in finder.

If the later you could try going to the 'All My Files' bit and sorting all the images by date to have a look through.
  • Never look in your wife's iCloud folder. Never ends well.
  • It all depends how you stored them initially, if they were being shared between iPad, iPhone and Mac it's likely she stores them in iCloud? If stored locally it's a bit more of a mystery. Depending what OS you are on, the files are generally in;

~/Pictures/Photos Library.photoslibrary/Masters/

Go on finder, then the pictures folder, find the file "Photos Library.photoslibrary" right click and choose show package contents. Open the folder named 'masters' and that should bring up all the stored photo's usually in dated folders.

It may also be the index is corrupt,

1.Quit iPhoto if it is open
    2.Hold down the Command and Option keys on the keyboard.
    3.Whilst doing so open iPhoto.
    4.Keep the keys held down until you are prompted to rebuild the library.
    5.A dialog will appear with rebuild options, select the options you want to use.
    6.Click Rebuild to begin the rebuild process.

Check also you haven't got on the 'summarise photo's' option
  • Sponsored links:

• Have you checked sites like the Fappening to see if they've been hacked on to there?
  • Did she put them in the Photos app or in their own folder in finder.

If the later you could try going to the 'All My Files' bit and sorting all the images by date to have a look through.

This I don't know. I'll give this and @Rob7Lee's suggestion a ty tonight.

Have you checked sites like the Fappening to see if they've been hacked on to there?

Only the ones we leaked onto there appear on there.
  • Dazzler21 said:

Did she put them in the Photos app or in their own folder in finder.

This I don't know. I'll give this and @Rob7Lee's suggestion a ty tonight.

Have you checked sites like the Fappening to see if they've been hacked on to there?

Only the ones we leaked onto there appear on there.
    Filth. You leaked onto them?!?

Go Donald Trump!
  • I thought women use iMac to remove unwanted hairs
  • Have you sorted it?
    A shot in the dark, search for the 'recently deleted' folder, they might still be there before the 30 day auto delete.
  • edited August 2017
    Other than going into browser and searching 'this mac' for every file with a jpg extension, I can't think of anything.

For future use, you might like to try this: https://shoeboxapp.com

You'll be in good company around here next season when the first team have Shoebox as their shirt sponsors.
  • DA7 said:

Have you sorted it?
    A shot in the dark, search for the 'recently deleted' folder, they might still be there before the 30 day auto delete.

They weren't there either it's really odd.

It's just wiped everything that had come off the DSLR.
  • Does the DSLR store onto SD card? And if so have you tried checking it's storage on a microsoft machine? Or have the photos all been deleted from the card by now?

Have you tried checking the SD card on mac using disk utility too?

Just in case this is a weird formatting issue.

Otherwise, all macs should have an app called time machine - have you tried using that? Not sure if she would've needed to backup the files first or not, but worth a shot!
  • Have you still got your polaroids?
  • On a slightly different note I've noticed recently that my iPhone is deleting emails before I can read them. Never happened before .
  • Sponsored links:

• Are you sure it's not just moving them to junk?
  • All of the above are why Apple is Satan.

It really shouldn't be that hard. You put pictures on your computer, back up to the cloud and should be fine... No. Not with apple, they'll just delete whatever the fudge they want.