Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Ho'way The Lads - Sep 11th at White Swan pub, - Jimmy Seed Documentry

Comments

• Thought someone said this was happening in Bromley
  • clb74 said:

Thought someone said this was happening in Bromley

old people get confused easily
  • It's bloody 'Ha'way the Lads'.

Jimmy'd turn in his grave, or fall off his cracket!

He was my grandad you know.

You've all done very well!
  • Wow. Who made the film and when?

Made by Thames TV in 1976, the director was Frank Cvitanovich. It was shown on national TV then but not be seen since as far as we know.

Ha'way The Lads (1976) was technically a drama-documentary, and it starred John Bowler (uncanny likeness to a young Seed).
    Made by Thames TV, the director was Frank Cvitanovich. It was shown nationally on ITV. I'll hold a q & a after the screening.
    It's set in the period 1902 or 3 -1919, from when he was a schoolboy, through the coal mining early teens, to the war years, and his rejection by Sunderland after being gassed, and the subsequent approach by Mid Rhondda FC.
  • Confirms what others have said was a figment of my imagination, a great story, and really well done. He must have been an extraordinary man, James Seed has covered it all, and if I remember rightly there was a brief summary at the end of his illustrious career at Sheff Wednesday, Tottenham and England. Can't remember if his Managerial Career got any sort of a mention. Would love to see it again if available.

I saw him in hospital a few days before he died when I went to visit a mate in the same ward, loads of beds in them in those days, and it was either Farnborough, or more likely, Orpington Hospital. He was alone at the time, and we discussed going to have a chat with him. Couldn't pluck up the courage, so we didn't. Died a day or so later, mate still in hospital, was very shocked.

England won the World Cup just 14 days later. He would have loved that.
  • Sponsored links:

• JamesSeed said:

Wow. Who made the film and when?

Ha'way The Lads (1976) was technically a drama-documentary, and it starred John Bowler (uncanny likeness to a young Seed).
    Made by Thames TV, the director was Frank Cvitanovich. It was shown nationally on ITV. I'll hold a q & a after the screening.
    It's set in the period 1902 or 3 -1919, from when he was a schoolboy, through the coal mining early teens, to the war years, and his rejection by Sunderland after being gassed, and the subsequent approach by Mid Rhondda FC.
    So it doesn't show any of the Charlton stuff then ?

Only kidding, sounds good - hope to get down if I can.
  • Tramp said:

Confirms what others have said was a figment of my imagination, a great story, and really well done. He must have been an extraordinary man, James Seed has covered it all, and if I remember rightly there was a brief summary at the end of his illustrious career at Sheff Wednesday, Tottenham and England. Can't remember if his Managerial Career got any sort of a mention. Would love to see it again if available.

I saw him in hospital a few days before he died when I went to visit a mate in the same ward, loads of beds in them in those days, and it was either Farnborough, or more likely, Orpington Hospital. He was alone at the time, and we discussed going to have a chat with him. Couldn't pluck up the courage, so we didn't. Died a day or so later, mate still in hospital, was very shocked.

England won the World Cup just 14 days later. He would have loved that.

It was Farnborough hospital.
    He died on the day we beat Mexico 2-0. I watched the final with his widow and her two sisters (I was living in his house at that time although was at boarding school when he died.)
    He was having a 'routine' gall bladder operation, died from complication during surgery.
    And yes, they mentioned Charlton at the end of the film, saying he managed them when they won the FA Cup.
    The film was made ten years after his death.
  • No point going to see the screening now you've spoilt the ending :wink:
  • No point going to see the screening now you've spoilt the ending :wink:

Doh!

No, I got that wrong..... errr, they actually mentioned his glorious time as manager, caretaker manager, and director of Millwall.....
  • JamesSeed said:

No point going to see the screening now you've spoilt the ending :wink:

Doh!

No, I got that wrong..... errr, they actually mentioned his glorious time as manager, caretaker manager, and director of Millwall.....
    Definitely not coming now
  • edited August 2017

With Q & A with some bloke who rarely mentions that he's Seed's grandson.

It's free, only 40 seats, first come, first served, but we'll pass the hat round for the museum afterwards.

All part of the Charlton and Woolwich Free Film Festival.

You can also see, as part of the same festival The battle of Britain with CL's very own Steve Hunniset @Tomhovi

I'll be at the White Swan as part of the CWFFF team for Ha'way The Lads, so will be looking forward to meeting up with everyone. I will open a separate thread for the Film Festival - I think this years programme is more varied than ever and there is truly something for everyone at some amazing venues.
  • Good news. A DVD made directly from the mastertape has been obtained for the screening, which is a relief as the quality of the recordings on my VHS tapes was poor.
  • JamesSeed said:

Good news. A DVD made directly from the mastertape has been obtained for the screening, which is a relief as the quality of the recordings on my VHS tapes was poor.

Are there any plans to make copies of the DVD available for sale, please ?
  • Are there any plans for a pick up from brom south to the swan
  • clb74 said:

Are there any plans for a pick up from brom south to the swan

I can give a lift from Clapham Common. Although might go on the train. It's a tricky journey from these parts.

JamesSeed said:

Good news. A DVD made directly from the mastertape has been obtained for the screening, which is a relief as the quality of the recordings on my VHS tapes was poor.

We are not the copyright holders, Freemantle Media are.
    Not sure how it works, but you could contact them maybe?
  • Sponsored links:

• JamesSeed said:

clb74 said:

Are there any plans for a pick up from brom south to the swan

I can give a lift from Clapham Common. Although might go on the train. It's a tricky journey from these parts.

JamesSeed said:

We are not the copyright holders, Freemantle Media are.
    Not sure how it works, but you could contact them maybe?
    Understood. If there is currently no plan to pursue this I will gladly contact FM, of course as long as that treads on no-one else's toes. I'm really looking forward to seeing the film.
  • Well the club might like to sell it in the shop if that was an option, (and if they thought it would sell). I maybe doubt Freemantle would deal with one-offs from individuals?
  • I wish we could change the thread name to Ha'way, because Ho'way was the Newcastle version of the expression - the enemy!

• I will see what FM have to say first of all. Maybe I will be able to give you some news on the night. Thanks very much for your guidance.
  • JamesSeed said:

Those Museum lot would flog it I reckon if they could get permission
  • JamesSeed said:

Great idea. I'm sure Freemantle would be up for it, if there's cash involved.
  • Toad in the hole thread 2.5K views, this thread 622 views. Just shows what a long time ago the Seed era was.
  • JamesSeed said:

Toad in the hole thread 2.5K views, this thread 622 views. Just shows what a long time ago the Seed era was.

I assume 2,200 of the Toad in the Hole thread views were from people assuming it was a euphemism for something more exciting.
  • JamesSeed said:

JamesSeed said:

If the club shop wasn't interested in selling the DVD then Maybe try and get some pre-orders on here and then take a few extra for the Museum .
  • Badger said:

JamesSeed said:

JamesSeed said:

If the club shop wasn't interested in selling the DVD then Maybe try and get some pre-orders on here and then take a few extra for the Museum .
    The museum are very interested in selling the DVD if it's available from Freemantle.