Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Joe Hart- England Number 1?

With all the chaos of Dudline day, I'm not sure if this was mentioned. Joe Hart gets the nod from Southgate for the next two games. While I've been a fan over the years his form has not been great over the last year. Personally would have loved to to see Butland given a chance

Comments

• I agree - Butland deserves a chance and Pickford has been a lot better that Hart for the past year.
  • I was going to blame his down-turn in form on the Head & Shoulders adverts. But some keepers managed to do both okay.

https://youtu.be/CdZkMvCPffM
  • What annoys me most is that he tends to play most Friendly matches. When will the others get a chance?
  • He doesn't have much in the way of defence in front of him at West Ham.
  • Seriously??? - Surely its better to play Butland etc. against Malta as will give them game time in a match they're not going to be tested so much, maybe against Slovakia it should be Joe Hart because of his experience yet the former its bloody stupid!!
  • He's hugely flawed, and I'd argue not even in the top three best English keepers. The harder he tries the worse he gets. By all accounts he was poor in Italy, and it's not even like he's done fine for England - he should be dropped after the Scotland debacle alone. Not to mention his abysmal performances in the Euros.

I even heard one pundit say the guy has a problem diving to his left!

Southgate picking him, and chatting up Rooney, is a really, really worrying sign.
  • I think Heaton is our best keeper
  • Southgate is part of the old boys network... nothing will change. Expect to see Rooney gurneying his way out of the group stages in Russia with the rest of the clique...
  • cafcfan said:

I was going to blame his down-turn in form on the Head & Shoulders adverts. But some keepers managed to do both okay.

https://youtu.be/CdZkMvCPffM

My step-son will not have it that that isn't Ross from friends. Numpty.
  • Butland is the best English keeper at the moment, and if you aim to pick your best 11 then he should start.
  • Sponsored links:

• JiMMy 85 said:

He's hugely flawed, and I'd argue not even in the top three best English keepers. The harder he tries the worse he gets. By all accounts he was poor in Italy, and it's not even like he's done fine for England - he should be dropped after the Scotland debacle alone. Not to mention his abysmal performances in the Euros.

I even heard one pundit say the guy has a problem diving to his left!

Southgate picking him, and chatting up Rooney, is a really, really worrying sign.

Tend to agree Jimmy, I'd have Butland 1 with Heaton and Pickford as quality backups. Sad to see him lose confidence but it's been a downward spiral
  • Dont think he is terrible but definately should not be England no1, most of the goals i have seen him concede this season haven't been down to him admittedly that i can think off.
    Butland/ Forster/ Pickford/ Heaton all should be ahead
  • Not sure about Forster, been a bit shaky himself recently.
  • Not sure who our No 1 keeper is at the moment, but we do have depth with a number of keepers at a decent level which is good.

• edited September 2017
    I expect Hart to start against Slovakia at home on Monday night. However, after securing qualification, I think Butland will be given the October matches to provide him with some additional experience.

Hart didn't actually play in England last friendly against France.

Hopefully, all addicks out in Malta have a safe trip. Wish I was out there but one of those things.

Come on England.

• I think it's Southgate trying not to destroy Hart's confidence more than anything else. Unwanted by City, disappointing season at Torino, no-one willing to sign him permanently for two years, horrible start at West Ham. He's still a decent keeper and Southgate publicly backing him and chucking him in against Malta can only really do him good. I think Butland will be number 1 before long but Southgate is probably trying not to send an overly negative message to Hart by dropping him at the first opportunity.

I think you might be right, but it's silly that Southgate thinks it's his job to worry about that! And frankly, I am not sure he is a decent keeper anymore... he could be again, sure, but right now I think his confidence is so shot that he's half the keeper he used to be. Average keepers like Rob Elliot are more consistent than him at the mo.

Agree. My Manager at work is a Southampton season ticket holder and doesn't even think Forster should be their No1.

Agree. My Manager at work is a Southampton season ticket holder and doesn't even think Forster should be their No1.
    Doing ok in my fantasy football dream team ;) 2nd best keeper out there at present :P behind only uddersfields

Doing ok in my fantasy football dream team ;) 2nd best keeper out there at present :P behind only uddersfields
    I think it's the mistakes he makes - they are usually real howlers.
  • Sponsored links:

• Heaton, Pickford, Forster and Butland are all better

I think it's the mistakes he makes - they are usually real howlers.
    Was kind of a joke Otto :) still think he is a better keeper than Hart
  • Joke, he can't save a Jpeg and failed for Torino. Fraser Forster is better and doesn't make the squad!
  • Joe Hart suffers from the typical English problem of not being dropped once his form goes.

He's been average for years now and still is picked ahead of younger, better players.
  • Joe Hart suffers from the typical English problem of not being dropped once his form goes.

He's been average for years now and still is picked ahead of younger, better players.

Agree that has been a problem, Lampard, Gerrard, Beckham, Rooney, etc., but I think it's different with keepers. I do think experience matters a lot more, and that experience can lead to the ability to bounce back faster from mistakes, which is so important.

I think the idea of Forster and Butland and Pickford are all more appealing than the players themselves. Or perhaps just the idea of dropping Hart is appealing. It's worth remembering that at international level all parts of the game are important, not just shot stopping.

Butland is still young and raw. He apparently had a mistake or two at the weekend. He is a good shotstopper but his kicking is not great.

Pickford is also a good shotstopper but he looked shaky under high balls in the U21 Euros and he made some bad mistakes with his kicking and decision making at the Euros as well. I think he looked so good for Sunderland because they were so shit and he had the chance to make a lot of saves. It's a different kettle of fish when you're only called into crucial action a handful of times in a game and the rest is distribution.

Forster and Heaton are great examples of solid Premier League keepers. Good shot stoppers, I've never been convinced by either of their kicking, but both could come in and do a job. Neither have the upside of Butland, Hart, or Pickford.

I'm not saying Hart is perfect or necessarily deserves the number one shirt at this point, I just want to point out that keepers in particular always look better the less they play, and the two behind Hart still have flaws in their game.
  • edited September 2017
    The problem with form is that people then go "he was never that good" if they are now playing bad. Joe Hart was a bloody good goalkeeper but he's clearly got some huge confidence issues going on at the moment and with how he's playing at the moment shouldn't be number 1 but he's not suddenly some crap keeper.

Definitely think Forster would be exposed pretty quickly, used to really rate him but you see quite a few goals where he should save but he just doesn't. They would be highlighted more once he gets the profile of being England number 1/media presence of Hart.

Think Hart should be part of the squad as I think technically he probably still is our best keeper, but one of the others (I guess Butland) should be particularly given a run out tonight against Malta where we could probably have Nicky Weaver in goal and be alright just to see how he handles the pressure (in a game we'll win).

I know keepers look better at lesser teams, but I still think Heaton is an incredibly solid keeper and probably the most underrated of the lot.
  • Hart having a cracker of a game against Chelsea. Southgate will be salivating.
  • Talal said:

Hart having a cracker of a game against Chelsea. Southgate will be salivating.

MOTM and a few quality saves, i reckon if he stays no1 for West Spam he might be 3rd choice and Pope gets dropped which will be harsh.