Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The 2017 Summer Transfer Rumours Thread (Deadline Day from page 264)

Comments

• Options

I guess that's why he didn't join the Army, and neither did you or I!

True but he's a professional footballer living a lifestyle most of us dream about and getting paid more than the fucking Prime Minister for the Privilege.

He's living in Petts Wood.

It's nice but not really a lifestule most of us dream about (unless you live in Bexley of course)
    Well possibly.

However. My point is that Lee is earning more in a month than a lot of people earn in a year doing a job that I think most people would say provides a fantastic lifestyle.

He earns this privileged living by playing football which most often means plying your trade away from where you would want to be.

It's tough for the little darlings I know.

Not really. I'm not doubting that he earns more than most but if he's on £5k per week that is £20k per month. A very good whack but not more than most earn in a year (average income is about £26k per year.)

He's well off but he not in a different stratosphere to most people, just better off. Yes, playing professional football is a "dream" job but it is also very a insecure and short career where players often have to move at short notice.

And that applies to players that people don't like or rate like Novak the same as it does to those they do such as Holmes or Kashi.

I think the debate over whether Lee or anyone is good enough or the right fit to play for Charlton is fine but the "living a lifestyle most of us dream about" arguement is a lazy red herring. How much he earns doesn't compensate for not seeing his family. If he earnt twice as much or half as much that wouldn't stop him being "homesick" either way.

Thankyou for picking me up on my lazy comments. Much appreciated.

Well I still beg to differ about Lee having a privileged lifestyle. At which point I might add is totally down his hard work and dedication.

The £5k figure you mention would give him a no
    doubt well earned £260k per year. Now I have no idea in what circles you move but I'm willing to bet that most people would say that's a lot of money and in fact since you quote the average salary is £26k it is neatly 10 X that average.

I'm also willing to bet that the avererage omnibus passenger would think the lifestyle of a professional footballer is pretty good when compared to theirs.

Now I also acknowledge that Lee has every right to think he and his family would be better off closer to his spiritual home. Good on him. But im afraid I'm not going to cry any tears about him having to work a three hour drive from his dream location. He is well remunerated for that Hardship.

I always find it strange when people suggest that despite how someone feels about anything, and despite how their personal life and health and well being are, give them more money and all those problems are just expected to go away.

If only life was that easy? If only money could buy you happiness?

I'm not suggesting that Novak and or his wife are depressed or that his home life is terrible because they are are so far from their families, but it seems easy to dismiss them because they make a decent (not even outrageous) living.
    I'm sure he could get a job paying average £26k a year that would make him feel happier in the place he wants to be.

On the other hand he follows the money like other professional footballers do. Part of the price he pays for £260k a year is sacrificing a few years of misery in Petts Wood. Remind me who it was that forced him to sign for at that well know southern team Charlton Athletic.

I'm genuinely sorry he's not happy. But not much.

• Options
    So any chance of any signings do we think?
  • Options

So any chance of any signings do we think?

Well it shuts at 23:00 on Thursday 31st August, 2017. So 8 and a bit days to go and that thrilling last day to look forward to - sitting pressing F5 on here and getting depressed... still hopeful of a striker as an absolute minimum but maybe a left back too. Hope Phillips stays but otherwise another keeper.
  • Options

True but he's a professional footballer living a lifestyle most of us dream about and getting paid more than the fucking Prime Minister for the Privilege.

It's nice but not really a lifestule most of us dream about (unless you live in Bexley of course)
    I'd rather live in Bexley than Petts Wood.
    Lol, good one
  • Options

Well possibly.

However. My point is that Lee is earning more in a month than a lot of people earn in a year doing a job that I think most people would say provides a fantastic lifestyle.

He earns this privileged living by playing football which most often means plying your trade away from where you would want to be.

It's tough for the little darlings I know.

Not really. I'm not doubting that he earns more than most but if he's on £5k per week that is £20k per month. A very good whack but not more than most earn in a year (average income is about £26k per year.)

He's well off but he not in a different stratosphere to most people, just better off. Yes, playing professional football is a "dream" job but it is also very a insecure and short career where players often have to move at short notice.

And that applies to players that people don't like or rate like Novak the same as it does to those they do such as Holmes or Kashi.

I think the debate over whether Lee or anyone is good enough or the right fit to play for Charlton is fine but the "living a lifestyle most of us dream about" arguement is a lazy red herring. How much he earns doesn't compensate for not seeing his family. If he earnt twice as much or half as much that wouldn't stop him being "homesick" either way.

Thankyou for picking me up on my lazy comments. Much appreciated.

Well I still beg to differ about Lee having a privileged lifestyle. At which point I might add is totally down his hard work and dedication.

The £5k figure you mention would give him a no doubt well earned £260k per year. Now I have no idea in what circles you move but I'm willing to bet that most people would say that's a lot of money and in fact since you quote the average salary is £26k it is neatly 10 X that average.

I'm also willing to bet that the avererage omnibus passenger would think the lifestyle of a professional footballer is pretty good when compared to theirs.

Now I also acknowledge that Lee has every right to think he and his family would be better off closer to his spiritual home. Good on him. But im afraid I'm not going to cry any tears about him having to work a three hour drive from his dream location. He is well remunerated for that Hardship.

I agree with you completely but you've moved from "living a lifestyle most of us dream" which was OTT IMHO to "the lifestyle of a professional footballer is pretty good" which was the point I was making.

And yes, I wish I earnt anything near £250k pa
  • Options

wmcf123 said:

If we get Grigg I will be seriously impressed with our recruitment this summer, I am still left unconvinced that they won't leave us short in at least one area though.

We are still short at full back and reliant on our two staying fit but I would accept that if we sign another good striker.

Phillips out on loan with a keeper arriving and possibly a winger on loan until January in an ideal world but they are not priorities.
    We're ok at RB; reports on Dijksteel are good and Konsa looks an absolute thoroughbred. Left back looks dodgy beyond JDS
    Compared to other areas on the pitch, RB is still a bit of a risk. I thought we should sign someone but it's certainly not a priority. Konsa can play there and we have three others in Barnes, Dijksteel and RCC. But in truth, that is very inexperienced cover. The reports on Dijksteel are good, but this is based on a pre-season friendly or two and a cup game against League 2 opposition. He is still raw and not even a RB by trade. LB cover is 2 CB's in Lennon and Sarr, a RB in Barnes and Jackson. In terms of numbers thats fine but not sure I would want any of them playing much time there. Obviously we have Page but not sure when he's back, always seems injured.
    Mascol as lb cover?
  • Options

wmcf123 said:

If we get Grigg I will be seriously impressed with our recruitment this summer, I am still left unconvinced that they won't leave us short in at least one area though.

We are still short at full back and reliant on our two staying fit but I would accept that if we sign another good striker.

Phillips out on loan with a keeper arriving and possibly a winger on loan until January in an ideal world but they are not priorities.
    We're ok at RB; reports on Dijksteel are good and Konsa looks an absolute thoroughbred. Left back looks dodgy beyond JDS
    Compared to other areas on the pitch, RB is still a bit of a risk. I thought we should sign someone but it's certainly not a priority. Konsa can play there and we have three others in Barnes, Dijksteel and RCC. But in truth, that is very inexperienced cover. The reports on Dijksteel are good, but this is based on a pre-season friendly or two and a cup game against League 2 opposition. He is still raw and not even a RB by trade. LB cover is 2 CB's in Lennon and Sarr, a RB in Barnes and Jackson. In terms of numbers thats fine but not sure I would want any of them playing much time there. Obviously we have Page but not sure when he's back, always seems injured.
    Mascol as lb cover?
    No. He has been brought in for the U23 squad, not to cover Da Silva for the first team.
  • Options
    Henry Irving said:
    » show previous quotes

West or East Petts Wood, one is slightly better,
    but much better than Bexley!!!
  • Options
    Worst. Thread. Ever.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Worst. Thread. Ever.

Just wait til next season January.
    Fixed that for you......

• Options

Worst. Thread. Ever.

Worse than the year we were linked with Andy Delort?
  • Options

Sage said:

JamesSeed said:

Sage said:

As far as I know, we want Grigg and he wants to come to us. The problem is Wigan and whether they allow him to leave, but that is also down to Wigan possibly signing another striker if he comes to us.

Like many things in football, there's a domino effect, we just have to hope they fall for us.

Any source for that? Haven't read anywhere that he wants to come to us. Would be good if he did of course.
    Nothing to read publicly but it is something that Grigg does want to do. If you need more than just me saying it and want something else, have a listen carefully to exactly what Robinson says in his post match interview, it confirms what I have been told.

Grigg has worked with Robinson before, was prolific for him and to put it this way, Wigan are playing a Newcastle youngster in front of him right now, that's not saying Grigg isn't good enough, because he is, he'd just prefer to leave and join us instead.

On a side note, and this isn't something of source but throwing it out there.. how would people feel if Novak was involved in some kind of deal to bring Grigg to the club? It allows him to move back up north, we get him off the books and he can kickstart his career, whilst we sign a player who has been very good in this league and for Robinson previously. We would of course need to sign another one on loan too, or it would leave us in the same position as we are now.
    IMHO, this is a no brainer, Sage.

Whilst I personally have little knowledge re the merits of Grigg, others on here have convinced me of his pedigree.

Novak has never been an integral part of the squad for various reasons so his loss would be minimal IF replaced by a player with a decent scoring success rate.

Old news that I may have shared before but Lee was on our table at the Sponsors' dinner last May ( no sponsorships from me though, guv !) Nice enough guy, but pretty quiet despite efforts to bring him into the conversation. Can't remember the context but I got the distinct impression he thought he was returning north before pre season training started. And that this would suit him.....so I was somewhat surprised to see him still around .

He received a call on his mobile less than halfway through the dinner , excused himself to take it, and didn't return to the table ! NOT the behaviour of a player who felt he was duty bound to see the evening through.
    Dreadful manners to people who help pay his wages.
  • Options

Scoham said:

Worst. Thread. Ever.

That dragged on but at least when we missed out on Delort, we made up for it snapping up Oguchi Onyewu shortly after.

I'm hoping he gets a run out in the Legends game
    Surely there's only room for either him or Cory Gibbs though.
  • Options
    Scoham said:

Worst. Thread. Ever.

At least we were discussing rumours. This is discussing where we should/shouldn't live.

I don't even feel guilty clogging it up with this post.
  • Options
    Scoham said:

Worst. Thread. Ever.

Andy Deport had a thread all to himself, it was over 100 pages long full of tweets from his dad but at least it didn't clog up the sacred transfer rumours thread
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Wow sounds like we're going for him. Apparently the wigan boss Cook doesn't like players running their contracts down and Grigg is in his last year and out of the side.
  • Options

On Twitter £1.2m rejected for Grigg. Come from KR.

Source:

• Options
    Do we actually reckon this has happened or KR's chance to say we tried. If we can bid 1.2 for Grigg, then it won't be acceptable to end up with a nobody or cheap loan. In fairness to the owners, Grigg is possibly the only striker willing to come who everybody would be impressed with. Likes of Godden and Akinde are largely unproven.
  • Options
    Matty Taylor joined Bristol City for around 300,000, surely they wouldn't want too much profit out of the deal given how he hasn't done a great deal there.
  • Options
    Whoever we sign has now got to get in the queue behind the PWP. He's off the mark now, just watch him go.
  • Options
    Remember when we had bids rejected for Bahebeck and Gradel - standard summer "we tried to sign someone really good and ended up with no one" unless we finally pull one of these off
  • Options

Matty Taylor joined Bristol City for around 300,000, surely they wouldn't want too much profit out of the deal given how he hasn't done a great deal there.

Agreed, offer £500,000 for Taylor if Grigg isn't available.
  • Options

Agreed, offer £500,000 for Taylor if Grigg isn't available.
    Griggs probably the slighter better option as little bit more proven at this level but Taylor did well at Rovers. Certainly wouldn't be against him and I agree, 500k rising to 700k ish would be enough to get him I reckon.