Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Norwich v Charlton | Tue 22 Aug | 7:45pm KO | Match Preview, Predictions, News & Views

Comments

• Options

Is Crofts still suspended?

---------Phillips
    Dijksteel Konsa Sarr Barnes
    -------Crofts Aribo
    Fosu-----Clarke-----KAG
    ---------Novak

If no Crofts, RCC at right back and Dijksteel in the middle with Aribo.

Yes
  • Options
    A nothing game in a joke competition . Only saving grace is that it gives our youngsters some game time . 3-0 to Norwich .
  • Options
    The EFL cup might be an irritation in the early rounds, but by the time you get to the QF it becomes interesting. When I think back to that Swansea Bradford final, I wonder if Curbs regrets never having a decent run in the competition.
  • Options
    Should play the team that beat Exeter unless not possible. Sooner we are out of it the better.
  • Options
    Norwich will play plan b too. We can win.
  • Options

Predictable 1-0 win for charlton followed by the usual members of the anti-charlton winning brigade who don't go to games posting if Norwich had scored two goals charlton would have lost, we need six new strikers, three new goal keepers, 4 right backs and they don't like Robinson

How very dare you ltgtr!!! I took a happy pill and predicted a Charlton win...
  • Options
    A battling performance but we will go out on pens. 1-1 after FT
  • Options
    Lapslie didn't play for U23s so I hope he is involved. A star in the making. Hope JJ accepts the obvious and doesn't feature, as a coach he will lose a bit of respect if he pulls on the shirt and is found wanting. RCC right Barnes left.
  • Options

Predictable 1-0 win for charlton followed by the usual members of the anti-charlton winning brigade who don't go to games posting if Norwich had scored two goals charlton would have lost, we need six new strikers, three new goal keepers, 4 right backs and they don't like Robinson

Very funny mate, even funnier that someone actually flagged you!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I fear this may be one step too far for the youngsters, Norwich are a good side particularly if players like Oliveria start.
  • Options

I fear this may be one step too far for the youngsters, Norwich are a good side particularly if players like Oliveria start.

Given they're a team who will look to chase promotion this year, I doubt they'll put their best 11 out. Missing the likes of Oliveria, Wildschut, and a couple of the new German signings could make getting through at least possible. But they have pretty good strength in depth. I think their second choice center forward is Cameron Jerome, who's not a world beater, but is a good Championship striker and a real handful.

For me it's just about getting a good performance out of the younger players. Get them some experience, maybe the confidence of knowing they can match up against a good Championship side and hold their own. Anything beyond that is a bonus.
  • Options
    I think the team will be:
    Phillips
    Dijksteel, Konsa, Sarr, Jackson
    RCC, Aribo
    Fosu, Clarke, KAG
    Novak

I would go with:
    Phillips
    Dijksteel, Konsa, Sarr, Barnes
    Lapslie, Aribo
    RCC, Fosu, KAG,
    Reeco

Would possibly be our youngest team of all time that second one.

Can't see us winning this one and to be honest, I don't really want us to. The youngsters will get a chance to play in the Checkatrade and can't be asked with a cup run as surely he would play first team if we got a tough prem draw. I don't want that as would rather concentrate on the League.
  • Options
    norwich have had a mixed start to the season 1 win a draw and 2 losses so they themselves probably wont have all eyes on the cup.
  • Options
    SDAddick said:

Given they're a team who will look to chase promotion this year, I doubt they'll put their best 11 out.

norwich have had a mixed start to the season 1 win a draw and 2 losses so they themselves probably wont have all eyes on the cup.

You see its because of the poor start that I think Norwich will be up for this.

Farke's start will already have left fans unimpressed and failure to beat a League One side will start to put him under pressure - I honestly think he'll want this victory to try and springboard a start to their League campaign, they can then get out of the cup in the next round...

Of course you could ask why we dont put a strong team out ourselves for the same reason yet in our case we dont have the squad depth so to keep playing the same eleven would be insane, and the fringe players need match practice in case of injuries, i.e. Harry Lennon when he went straight into the team after not playing for about six months was rusty and rubbish as hell.
  • Options
    Would like to RHF start, would also like to see Dijksteel start in CM as that's his preferred position but obviously I know we need cover at RB.
    I think Sarr will start and I really hope he has a good game, adds the incentive of competition for Pearce & Bauer if they have to look over there shoulders.
  • Options

Would like to RHF start, would also like to see Dijksteel start in CM as that's his preferred position but obviously I know we need cover at RB.
    I think Sarr will start and I really hope he has a good game, adds the incentive of competition for Pearce & Bauer if they have to look over there shoulders.

Sarr vs Championship strikers usually ends in disaster
  • Options

SDAddick said:

Given they're a team who will look to chase promotion this year, I doubt they'll put their best 11 out.

Farke's start will already have left fans unimpressed and failure to beat a League One side will start to put him under pressure - I honestly think he'll want this victory to try and springboard a start to their League campaign, they can then get out of the cup in the next round...

Of course you could ask why we dont put a strong team out ourselves for the same reason yet in our case we dont have the squad depth so to keep playing the same eleven would be insane, and the fringe players need match practice in case of injuries, i.e. Harry Lennon when he went straight into the team after not playing for about six months was rusty and rubbish as hell.
    i think your right if they win then great if not then no damage done but must get something out of saturdays game, otherwise a complete waste of time and money for all involved, prioristing the league is great but we need to be at least getting a draw out of saturdays game, as we have already dropped points at plymouth if you look at last years automatics ( which is what were aiming for ) sheff utd lost 6 and bolton lost 10. when you look at it like that results like the one against plymouth are all the more painful, moral of the story is you have to take chances in this league.
  • Options

SDAddick said:

i think your right if they win then great if not then no damage done but must get something out of saturdays game, otherwise a complete waste of time and money for all involved, prioristing the league is great but we need to be at least getting a draw out of saturdays game, as we have already dropped points at plymouth if you look at last years automatics ( which is what were aiming for ) sheff utd lost 6 and bolton lost 10. when you look at it like that results like the one against plymouth are all the more painful, moral of the story is you have to take chances in this league.
    A defeat against Rotherham could be a disaster even at this early stage.

We've got Wigan next month and with both being relegated Championship teams I'd expect both to potentially be up there come the end of the season, losing to both would instantly have us on three losses meaning we'd need to go on some run to equal that of Sheff Utd last season... Even when we won the league, we only lost five ourselves.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Comfortable away win 4-0.
  • Options
    Like king addick, I really hope that Dijksteel starts in his preferred central midfield berth. With Crofts suspended, it's an ideal opportunity for him to do so and push himself up the pecking order. Barnes could then be deployed in his proper position of right back. I expect Jacko will be at left back but, quite frankly, that guy Yanic Wildschut is likely to give anyone trouble on the evidence of the pre-season game at the Valley.

It would be great as well to see Lapsie get a taste of first team action from the bench, depending upon how the game goes. No doubt RHF will see a bit of action as well.
  • Options
    Very difficult game, but with all the changes made by both sides lets hope we can nick it, 1-2.
  • Options
    wmcf123 said:

He did alright against Palace that day... Was certainly the only idiot in a Charlton shirt who had the sense to put it in their net
  • Options

wmcf123 said:

He did alright against Palace that day... Was certainly the only idiot in a Charlton shirt who had the sense to put it in their net
    Charlton manager Guy Luzon rested key players Ahmed Kashi, Johann Berg Gudmundsson and Tony Watt as his side suffered a third consecutive defeat in all competitions.

Masterful by Luzon that day :lol:
  • Options
    The optimal way to blood some youngsters is to drop one or two of them into an established team, not suddenly chuck ten of them together and hope they teach each other to walk. Unfortunately we can't risk that luxury as we simply cannot afford injuries to the majority of our key players. Holmes, Clarke, Pearce, magennis, Akashi, JFC etc should be nowhere near this game. I'd count Fosu in that number too as I think he gives us that little something extra.

That said, it's pretty clear that some of our youngsters are inevitably going to get a lot of first team game time when injuries and suspensions kick. In particular, RHF, Diksteel and Konsa so they should all be playing tonight to get up to speed. I'd start RHF before Novak if the latter wants away.

My heart says the need for momentum demands a good result tonight but my head says the sooner we're out of this nonsense the better.
  • Options

SDAddick said:

It's a funny one, I suspect that Norwich and their fans would see a defeat to us as being more acceptable than a defeat to say Fleetwood, even though Fleetwood are above us, it just sounds more "acceptable"

A shame Crofts is suspended for this, as you do need a few experienced heads to guide the youngsters on the pitch. That makes it inevitable that Jacko will play
  • Options

SDAddick said:

It's a funny one, I suspect that Norwich and their fans would see a defeat to us as being more acceptable than a defeat to say Fleetwood, even though Fleetwood are above us, it just sounds more "acceptable"

A shame Crofts is suspended for this, as you do need a few experienced heads to guide the youngsters on the pitch. That makes it inevitable that Jacko will play
    Jackson should play in this one, as captain and in centre midfield.
  • Options
    10-1 does seem quite a big price about us tonight even with a weakened side
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!