Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Charlton vs Northampton Post match views

Comments

• I admit I did have that slight nagging feeling that we could throw the win away when we went to 2-1 but instead we put some emphasis on the scoreline at the end. I do think in previous seasons we would have been much more likely to do that so it's nice to see us break a bad habit. Maybe with a bit of luck they'll see the results we can get with our first choice 11 and realise what a bigger squad could do for us, because there's no way we'll be able to put that 11 out for every single game this season

Exactly this. We need to reinforce because we have a decent starting XI that may threaten promotion, but an injury to say Magennis and we are a mid table outfit
  • I was encouraged by today's performance. With the thin squad and lack of options up front I was fearing a difficult season. Magennis looked absolutely hooped after 70 minutes but there was nobody on the bench to replace him. He's a big, strong lad but he's going to get run into the ground and broken this year if he doesn't get any help.

The team's passing was about 1,000% better than anything they managed last season, although Northampton allowed Charlton to play as they wanted - they're not exactly Man City and have zero points for a reason. I'm not convinced Robinson has the tactical nous or the players available to adapt when the opposition counter his preferred system, but fair play today, he got the job done. Special mention for Billy Clarke who worked hard and linked up play well. Hoping he will turn into an assist-machine this season.

That was the first non-protest game I've enjoyed in a long time. The only downer is the thought, that with the team winning and crowd cheering, Daisy is sitting in the director's box with a mile wide, smug, shit-eating grin thinking she's won after all.
  • 1-0 Magennis

2-0 Holmes

3-1 Forster-Caskey

4-1 Forster-Caskey

Didn't realize in real time just how great Holmes' ball was for the first, and Magennis did very well to get across his man. Proper center forward stuff.

That clip doesn't do the second justice, brilliant move.

That fourth. Woof.
  • Sorry to do that thing where I quote myself, but wanted to give a shout out for Konsa. He was only on for 7 minutes plus another 5 or 6 of stoppage time, but he was excellent. Showed a great turn of pace and drive from midfield. He's clearly bulked up. He's very unlucky to be behind two excellent center backs and two excellent central midfielders at the moment. Would get into just about any other team in the division.

From my player marks:
    Konsa: Fuck n/a. 8.5. Came on and changed the game. Was seemingly playing in the #10 role as a sort of reverse pivot to put pressure on their defense and midfield. Alternatively, Robinson said to him "Ez, go out there and run around a bit." Was excellent on the ball. Set up the third. Probably should have won a penalty (didn't look nearly as stonewall to me as it did to others but I didn't have a replay). A wonderful performance.
  • SDAddick said:

1-0 Magennis

2-0 Holmes

3-1 Forster-Caskey

4-1 Forster-Caskey

That clip doesn't do the second justice, brilliant move.
    This. For those who didn't make it down to the valley this afternoon, I highly recommend watching the extended highlights as the build up on some of the goals was superb.
  • That is class from JFC.
  • edited August 2017
    Good vlog of the game here https://youtu.be/3vF6cO54Avo
  • Automotic promotion winning team if all 11 fit, but with current depth - were play off's. I'm confident we'll be there as a minimum this season, let's pray we have a world clsss medical team
  • Sponsored links:

• Good vlog of the game here https://youtu.be/3vF6cO54Avo

Liked that. Being in California that took me right there. Brilliant.

I was going through Victoria only last week on the way to Plymouth. What a small world we live in. Brilliant.
  • Great win (very clear on ifollow for a change) !
    one uneasy fact, Our keeper was kept far too busy for a game we technically dominated, which to me suggest we defend too deep, and it isn't our strength. We must not forget how at the 90th minute it was still only 2:1 and quite nervy...

When you say for a change do you mean from the service that was two matches old before yesterday?
  • We can learn from a win too, don't wait for a loss

Great win (very clear on ifollow for a change) !
    one uneasy fact, Our keeper was kept far too busy for a game we technically dominated, which to me suggest we defend too deep, and it isn't our strength. We must not forget how at the 90th minute it was still only 2:1 and quite nervy...

When you say for a change do you mean from the service that was two matches old before yesterday?
    I wish...
    No my friend, the change was in the pre match beverage consumed contributing to a sharper viewing experience.
    Matches are a late night stumble in Western Australia...
  • Sponsored links:

• Random reflections;

Great win - I've slated Amos twice this season but he was solid yesterday and pulled off some great saves.

I've been a fan of Fosu, but he seems to dive at least once per game which I'm not a huge fan of.

We really need another striker to at least give Maggenis some respite as he looked shattered yesterday.

Kashi was brilliant - nothing fancy he just wins the ball in the middle of the pitch which is something we've really lacked for a couple of seasons, he basically gives the more creative players license to do their thing, he's going to be our most important player this season.

Northampton are terrible and its credit to KR (something I don't normally do) that we finished them off, I reckon under his predecessor we would have drawn 2-2 after they pulled one back.

We can only beat what's in front of us but I'm looking forward to tougher challenges rather than dreading them!
  • Robinson does deserve credit but this time last year we beat Shewsbury 3 - 0 at the Valley and similar things were being said.

Premature evaluation then and now.

Agreed... I'm delighted with the result but remember feeling like this after we stuffed Shrewsbury 3-0 last season so still being cautious
  • Regardless, great to read so many positive accounts and that people's weekends have been enhanced by a win and good performance.

Thanks to all there for sharing your accounts
  • I got married in China yesterday
    Managed to forget it was Saturday, let alone that Charlton were playing.... when I started getting news about the performance and result (match ended at midnight here) it made a great day even sweeter.

Charlton came through for me at the right time. A rare and lovely feeling.

COYR

Congratulations!
  • edited August 2017

I got married in China yesterday
    Managed to forget it was Saturday, let alone that Charlton were playing.... when I started getting news about the performance and result (match ended at midnight here) it made a great day even sweeter.

COYR

Congratulations!
    Indeed. All the best.
  • Billy Class was superb! Going to be a very important player for us.

JFC is a different player now he is fit. He is gonna have a good season.

We just need a striker and a back up keeper. Reeves and Marshall to come back too.

COYR's
  • Robinson does deserve credit but this time last year we beat Shewsbury 3 - 0 at the Valley and similar things were being said.

If you say so. But you've got a short memory.
  • I got married in China yesterday

COYR

Many happy returns. Hope you had a great day
  • JamesSeed said:

Robinson does deserve credit but this time last year we beat Shewsbury 3 - 0 at the Valley and similar things were being said.

If you say so. But you've got a short memory.
    If anyone really wants to see what was being said after the Shrewsbury win last year:

http://forum.charltonlife.com/discussion/74506/charlton-v-shrewsbury-post-match-thread/p1