Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Dave Tarpey

Another four goals last night - has anyone seen him play and should we be looking at him? He's been scoring goals for fun and surely worth a gamble?

Comments

• If we can get him on the cheap I'd say go for it. My mate is a Maidenhead fan and he's always telling me how Tarpey should be playing at a much higher level. At 28 he is supposidly at his prime too.

That said I'd still want another striker with FL experience.
  • Might be the next Charlie Austin/Steve Morrison/Ian Wright.

More likely the next Stuart Fleetwood.

There's undoubtedly some decent talent outside the Football League, although it would be extremely unusual to find a gem of a player who's managed to stay under the radar until he's 28.

I'm not against signing him, but lets not kid ourselves about the main reason for taking an interest in this bloke - we are not willing to pay the transfer fees/wages that League 1 and League 2 strikers are asking for.

Transfer window closes in 15 days. Bit of a reality check coming up for those that have managed to convince themselves that something changed over the summer, and that this season constitutes some form of fresh start.

Any remotely competent outfit would have got their key signings tied up before the season started, rather than trying to find bargain basement gap-fillers at the end of the transfer window.
  • saw him against Ebbsfleet last season, looks a proper finisher, but so did Stuart Fleetwood at that level. Gooden has done it at higher level, so is safer bet. Interestingly Birmingham took the punt on a League 2 striker this week, so I would go for Gooden
  • Rothko said:

saw him against Ebbsfleet last season, looks a proper finisher, but so did Stuart Fleetwood at that level. Gooden has done it at higher level, so is safer bet. Interestingly Birmingham took the punt on a League 2 striker this week, so I would go for Gooden

Who did Birmingham sign?
  • I mentioned Tarpey in the Rumours thread last night. Surely we should look at him in the situation we are in
  • Rothko said:

saw him against Ebbsfleet last season, looks a proper finisher, but so did Stuart Fleetwood at that level. Gooden has done it at higher level, so is safer bet. Interestingly Birmingham took the punt on a League 2 striker this week, so I would go for Gooden

Who did Birmingham sign?
    Isaac Vassell from Luton
  • Rothko said:

Who did Birmingham sign?
    Isaac Vassell from Luton Town for an undisclosed fee.
  • Sounds like an overweight Dart player
  • Why do all non-league players have proper non-league names like 'Dave' haha.
  • Sponsored links:

• It should be pronounced Daveeeeed.
  • spend a bit of money and get a proven league 1 goalscorer, although we could sign messi tommorow and by the end of the week he would be giving franny jeffers a run for his money.

I'm picturing a mullet that sometimes reverts to pony tail.

And a ski jacket

• Dansk_Red said:

Rothko said:

Who did Birmingham sign?
    Isaac Vassell from Luton Town for an undisclosed fee.
    Tbf he scored a couple of crackers the other day. Harry has used the football league show to do his scouting
  • iamdan said:

Why do all non-league players have proper non-league names like 'Dave' haha.

sorry "Dan"...
  • BDLBDL
    edited August 2017
    Tarpey got four last night, including two penalties against a ten men side. Yes he was prolific at NL South level and he's bagged a few so far but it doesn't mean he can cut it against a decent League One defence. He is too much of a gamble and he's also still part time.

Better to go for a player with a bit more experience such as Matt Godden, only those type of players cost and Roland isn't known for getting his wallet out for them.

Given how much Dover wanted for Ricky Miller last season I can't see Maidenhead wanting less for Tarpey.

What's wrong with overweight dart players (called dave)?
  • edited August 2017
    Never seen Tarpey play so cannot really comment on specifics.

All I would ask those that have seen him is whether he is the type of striker capable of creating his own chances or is he solely dependent on a decent service from midfield?

If the former then maybe worth a punt. If the latter will he in reality get a good enough service from Charlton's midfield?

• Sponsored links:

• The thoughts of my mate (a Maidenhead supporter)..

"He's a fox in the box type, but has a classy finish, most goals from inside the box but scores some ridiculously skillful ones too. Search his one on YouTube from last season where he flicks it over the last defender with his heal and then volleys it in, pure class."
  • iamdan said:

Why do all non-league players have proper non-league names like 'Dave' haha.

And what's wrong with "Dave" ?
    Nothing Rodders :wink: .
  • Seen him play loads of times. My son filmed for Maidenhead for one and a half seasons. He is ok and really came on last season and at 28 he should do. Did the local clubs for a few years but nothing special. I think he is good at this level and posdibly a higher division, but not good for us.... In my view having seen him lots of times.
  • The budget is apparently tight and we must get in a striker. I doubt the reported £300k will stretch to the player we need let alone getting a punt in as well.

There also doesn't appear to be a scramble by league clubs to snare him or am I wrong in that ?
  • Possibly has a well paid day job and doesn't need the distractions and risks of higher level football.