Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Great Western Railway

So I'm on the train to Plymouth to watch the mighty Charlton play. Got on the train early, sat myself down in the correct seat too readying myself for this 3 and a half hour journey to the West Country.

2 minutes before the train departs London Paddington, a French family say to me "excuse me, you're in my seat". I replied "you must have the wrong coach." They replied "nope, coach E, seat 29." I showed them my ticket which read "coach E, seat 29". They looked around as the train had completely filled up. Me, being typically British said "you can sit here as you have young children" hoping that they'd turn around and look for a member of staff. They replied "merci" and put their bags above the seat and began to sit down.

I've gone from sitting at a table seat and a plug socket to sitting on the floor by the toilets. 25 minutes into this 3 and a half hour journey and my ass is completely numb already... and I didn't buy any train beers.

To rub salt into the wounds the French family spokesman (the woman) said "are you going to Plymouth too?" I was like "yes I am" hoping they'd take pity on me. She said "oh, sorry" and sat down before putting her headphones in.

Story of my life. It's a complete joke.

Comments

• Charlton will probably lose now to complete your misery - No way will we win and so make that numb journey worth it, we're not that sort of club
  • This is why if you're on your own you never book a seat in a 4. Always go for a 2. In that situation it's much easier to tell a pair of people than a family to fuck off.
  • How can they sell the same seats to two different customers?
  • I doubt there's a double booking. They probably have the wrong day!
  • Train operators are totally incompetent.
    I'm 5 weeks into a complaint process with SW Trains and they have done a complete U turn and offered me a refund and "train vouchers".
    But they still seem oblivious to my repeated point that their online ticketing process is offering a ticket that according to their own T's and C's is not valid for the times stated!
  • edited August 2017
    Check with the French family, they're not sitting in your seat on the return journey.
  • We're on the train, French woman saw our flag and had a chat - up the refs
  • Sponsored links:

• seth plum said:

Call the train steward now, show your ticket and demand a seat in first class. Do it now!

By the time I found one we were in Reading. There are no more seats including first class. He's showed me how to complain.

Me and the French lot had identical tickets. Same time, seat and day. Really strange.

Not what I expected for £55... the floor!
  • You surrendered to the French. You don't deserve a seat.

Joan of Arc may have led the French to victory over the English at Orléans … but it didn’t end well for her. Rugbyaddick is currently looking for a suitable stake and a match.
  • seth plum said:

Call the train steward now, show your ticket and demand a seat in first class. Do it now!

By the time I found one we were in Reading. There are no more seats including first class. He's showed me how to complain.

Me and the French lot had identical tickets. Same time, seat and day. Really strange.

Not what I expected for £55... the floor!
    Walk the whole train. To check the seat situation. Then ask to sit up front with the driver!
  • edited August 2017
  • Make sure you get a photo of the matching tickets together as proof.

Don't do that as that is where the guard will point out one of you is one the wrong train

• You surrendered to the French. You don't deserve a seat.

Joan of Arc may have led the French to victory over the English at Orléans … but it didn’t end well for her. Rugbyaddick is currently looking for a suitable stake and a match.
    Forget Orléans - just recite this to them:

But we in it shall be rememberèd-
    We few, we happy few, we band of brothers;
    For he to-day that sheds his blood with me
    Shall be my brother; be he ne'er so vile,
    This day shall gentle his condition;
    And gentlemen in England now a-bed
    Shall think themselves accurs'd they were not here,
    And hold their manhoods cheap whiles any speaks
    That fought with us upon Saint Crispin's day.

Don't do that as that is where the guard will point out one of you is one the wrong train
    Or one is working on French time?
  • French? Get @i_b_b_o_r_g to look into it.
  • Sponsored links:

• Get half way and then ask to sit in your seat. Turn taking.
    The steward can help you negotiate.
  • Davo55 said:

Quite a coincidence but I just got a message from a french woman I know......

Bonjour.

Moi, Henri et les enfants sont en train à Plymouth pour regarder les puissants addicks. Nous n'avions pas de réservations, mais nous avons trouvé un mec triste dans un groupe de 4 sièges et, voila, il est maintenant sur le sol à côté du khazi.

Il doit être un fan de Millwall.

Bisous

Cecile x

I have to say CL is very informative - I've learned a new French word today - 'Mec'!
  • We've had the same double booking situation a couple of times in recent years.
    We stayed put. But then I was used to having to defend The Covered End in the 70's :wink:

Not sure how old the French children are but if young would be reasonable for 'Rugby" to firmly suggest that one of them sit on a parent's laps. It's pretty mean of the family to let him stand/sit the whole journey whilst they rest their backsides in comfort. If there are 2 tickets for the same seat then Rugby is as much entitled to it as the French passenger.
  • Davo55 said:

Quite a coincidence but I just got a message from a french woman I know......

Bonjour.

Moi, Henri et les enfants sont en train à Plymouth pour regarder les puissants addicks. Nous n'avions pas de réservations, mais nous avons trouvé un mec triste dans un groupe de 4 sièges et, voila, il est maintenant sur le sol à côté du khazi.

Il doit être un fan de Millwall.

Bisous

Cecile x

I have to say CL is very informative - I've learned a new French word today - 'Mec'!
    One of my favourite French slang words. Equivalent to "bloke" or "guy"
  • Hope the rest of the day is enjoyable.
  • I presume it isn't non-stop to Plymouth so at the very least that useless conductor should be lining up a seat for you when someone gets off, ideally in first class.
  • A true Charlton fans would never give up their seat up for foreigners