Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Sky Sports or BT Sport?

Not sure which one to get. I don't usually get either but am thinking this season it may be worth it as all leagues across Europe are looking rather tasty.

So which is better?

Thanks.

Comments

• Neither too many replays when the game is going on.

Too many shots of managers when the game is going on.

Too many shots of celebs/people in the crowd when the game is going on.

Too many pundits sitting on the fence trying not to offend anyone.

Sky have Pardew as a pundit.

BT have Robbie Savage, Michael Owen and Glenn Hoddle as pundits.

I've got both but thinking about dumping them.

• iaitch said:

Does this make it easier?
  • Neither. Now TV day pass / weekend pass for the rare times we're on the telly, pub for other big games.
  • The BT Broadband/ Sports combo is a LOT cheaper, and the BT Sports digital offering is amazing compared to the piece of shit that is Go. Combine it with some 'other' streaming to fill in the gaps. That's my plan for this year!

The BT pundit line-up is especially awful, but I don't listen to any of them anyway so I can ignore that!
  • Ignoring price and other factors...

You said you like European football.

Sky have Spanish and Dutch leagues
    BT have pretty much the rest including Germany, Italy and France
    Plus BT have Europa and Champions League.

Closer to home,
    Sky have 126 (I think) Premier League games, BT have 42
    Sky have football league, BT have non league.
    BT have FA Cup games.

Sky have Scottish, MLS and Chinese leagues
  • JiMMy 85 said:

The BT Broadband/ Sports combo is a LOT cheaper, and the BT Sports digital offering is amazing compared to the piece of shit that is Go. Combine it with some 'other' streaming to fill in the gaps. That's my plan for this year!

The BT pundit line-up is especially awful, but I don't listen to any of them anyway so I can ignore that!

Didnt you used to work for Sky and were very anti streaming etc

sorry if I am talking out of line and missed what happened or if I've got you mixed up with someone else on here .
  • iaitch said:

please tell me this is a bad joke

Closer to home,
    BT have FA Cup games.

They both have Scottish games, not sure who has the most
  • JiMMy 85 said:

The BT Broadband/ Sports combo is a LOT cheaper, and the BT Sports digital offering is amazing compared to the piece of shit that is Go. Combine it with some 'other' streaming to fill in the gaps. That's my plan for this year!

Didnt you used to work for Sky and were very anti streaming etc

sorry if I am talking out of line and missed what happened or if I've got you mixed up with someone else on here .
    No you're on the right lines, but annoyingly I can't really say much about that here.

I wasn't so much anti-streaming with sports (more so movies), and I did say it isn't sustainable to be paying Kodi. But I have changed my opinion somewhat, and don't blame anybody who does stream. The pricing and money structure in the world of football is a disgrace.

I'm desperately hoping that Facebook change the landscape entirely, and put a bunch of... very unpleasant people out of business!
  • Sponsored links:

• redman said:

iaitch said:

please tell me this is a bad joke
    See the Pardew is sacked thread.

It's true.
  • Purely based on price? BT

They are getting better almost monthly with their content and the way they present it as well

Jimmy85 has it right as well on this thread and a couple of others. The next round of bidding will make or break Sky and they aren't the only cash rich operators in the market anymore
  • If you're into Cricket, BT Sport have the Ashes this winter.
  • For such a relative short space of time BT have come a long way and in my opinion are better than SKY . SKY Sports is Very tired and restructuring they way we pay for it isn't going to solve that . I pay for both by the way .

Closer to home,
    BT have FA Cup games.

Unless I'm very much mistaken, Partick -v- Celtic was on BT Sport 1 tonight, although I might have been hallucinating. They have a lot of Scottish, also MLS and Aussie, I think, and probably others.

Closer to home,
    BT have FA Cup games.

Unless I'm very much mistaken, Partick -v- Celtic was on BT Sport 1 tonight, although I might have been hallucinating. They have a lot of Scottish, also MLS and Aussie, I think, and probably others.
    They both have Scottish games, the game tonight was BT, last week Hearts were on sky for the season opener
  • Yeah they both have Scottish football. I was mainly going from memory from a flyer I got through my door a few days ago.
    Wasn't intending to mislead anyone. Sorry
  • Aussie is on bt, mls is on sky.

Tbh, im very disappointed with sky. Everything seems to be repeats on their new channels. If youre going to be doing a football channel, at least try and get as much live football on as possible but i dont actually think they have enough games to warrent it. As a channel that is exclusive to football, i would expect to see south american football on at night, with asian football in the morning and the european stuff in the middle, all live. Instead, ive got to look forward to a repeat of the league cup final from 2014 followed by the league cup final from 2015.

If i didnt have a decent deal with sky (and they have the nfl), they would be gone. Bt is winning for me
  • What are the rumours re Facebook and the next round of rights? Someone said it would be free to air with them using it to drive advertising online - is that sustainable or is Facebook so cash rich it can do it?
  • If you love sport there is no choice. Just have both.
  • Sponsored links:

• MrOneLung said:

What are the rumours re Facebook and the next round of rights? Someone said it would be free to air with them using it to drive advertising online - is that sustainable or is Facebook so cash rich it can do it?

Yes they are. But I wouldn't expect them to go for all the packages. It's essential for Sky to have at least four, if not five of the seven packages (BT have packages 2 and 7 I think). And that's why I think they're in trouble.

Facebook dwarf Sky in terms of revenue. And they need to keep growing. They are putting their faith in video, it's a key driver for keeping people on the site longer (which is what they need to do now that most of the planet has already signed up). Their advertising model would easily allow them to sustain a PL deal, particularly if they go for just one or two packages. They're showing Champs League games in the US for free next year, so there is precedent for it.

Meanwhile Amazon are expected to get involved too. And this is why The Guardian just claimed that Sky will need to spend a whopping £1.8bn on top of the already mental £5bn they paid last time, just to keep five packages. They've been saving up for this for the last few years.

We could potentially see a situation where you have to get a Facebook account, a BT Sports account, an Amazon account and a Sky box to see every game legally. And given that Sky costs a hell of a lot more than the others, and they can't / won't drop their prices (and already have dwindling viewing figures), this is a very troubling time for them.

And we don't even know if Netflix or Google are going to join the party, as has been rumoured.

The only reason I think they might just get away with it is that the Sky rights are UK only, and Amazon / FB might decide Sky are forcing the costs up too much for just one small territory, and instead go for worldwide or European rights (I'm not very familiar with how that process works). But that still leaves BT, who could still mess with Sky's majority package line up.

I'm sorry for banging on about this so much, I just really, really, really want it to happen. Some people I used to know... well, I'd like to see some karma get dished out.
  • JiMMy 85 said:

MrOneLung said:

What are the rumours re Facebook and the next round of rights? Someone said it would be free to air with them using it to drive advertising online - is that sustainable or is Facebook so cash rich it can do it?

Yes they are. But I wouldn't expect them to go for all the packages. It's essential for Sky to have at least four, if not five of the seven packages (BT have packages 2 and 7 I think). And that's why I think they're in trouble.

Facebook dwarf Sky in terms of revenue. And they need to keep growing. They are putting their faith in video, it's a key driver for keeping people on the site longer (which is what they need to do now that most of the planet has already signed up). Their advertising model would easily allow them to sustain a PL deal, particularly if they go for just one or two packages. They're showing Champs League games in the US for free next year, so there is precedent for it.

Meanwhile Amazon are expected to get involved too. And this is why The Guardian just claimed that Sky will need to spend a whopping £1.8bn on top of the already mental £5bn they paid last time, just to keep five packages. They've been saving up for this for the last few years.

We could potentially see a situation where you have to get a Facebook account, a BT Sports account, an Amazon account and a Sky box to see every game legally. And given that Sky costs a hell of a lot more than the others, and they can't / won't drop their prices (and already have dwindling viewing figures), this is a very troubling time for them.

And we don't even know if Netflix or Google are going to join the party, as has been rumoured.

The only reason I think they might just get away with it is that the Sky rights are UK only, and Amazon / FB might decide Sky are forcing the costs up too much for just one small territory, and instead go for worldwide or European rights (I'm not very familiar with how that process works). But that still leaves BT, who could still mess with Sky's majority package line up.

I'm sorry for banging on about this so much, I just really, really, really want it to happen. Some people I used to know... well, I'd like to see some karma get dished out.
    Not another bitter ex employee :wink:

You doing the commentary this afternoon mate?
  • RedChaser said:

JiMMy 85 said:

MrOneLung said:

Not another bitter ex employee :wink:

You doing the commentary this afternoon mate?
    I couldn't possibly comment!

Should be around for commentary, if my journey home works out.
  • Gone with sky sports so I have the prem and then I'll stream the Serie A matches. Really interested to see how Milan do this season with all the new signings. Also to see if napoli can give it a good go as they have managed to keep their stars. Think Juve will just about do it again this year but I think next year they'll struggle if milan can get champions league football.