Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Plymouth v Charlton | Sat 12 Aug | 3pm KO | Match Preview, Predictions, News & Views

Plymouth Argyle v Charlton Athletic
Saturday 12th August 2017 … 3pm Kick-Off
League One – Round Two

Introduction
Writing from within a tent in Cornwall it’s not been the worst of starts for Karl Robinson and his men, as we already know the squad have already recorded two wins from two. The second a surprise and rare victory over Exeter City in the League Cup despite once again being forced to play periods of the match with 10-men… This Saturday sees the Addicks heading back to the West Country for the second of their Devon double header as we play our first away match of the season against newly promoted: Plymouth Argyle.

The Opposition
Name: Plymouth Argyle … Manager: Derek Adams
Ground: Home Park

On Tuesday night we faced a team from Devon and in Exeter we faced a team who were recovering from Play-Off disappointment, if they need inspiration on recovery they should look no further than their rivals and our opponents this Saturday. After all two years ago saw AFC Wimbledon gaining promotion from League Two at the hands of Plymouth Argyle, 12-months later and it was the turn of the Green Army to celebrate as they gained automatic promotion back to the third tier of English Football.

Its certainly not been an easy rise for the Pilgrims with many dark days in recent years which include ex-Manager: Peter Reid being forced to sell his medals yet being back in League One hasn’t been an easy start for Derek Adams and his side, it began last weekend with a 2-1 defeat against Peterborough and in the Cup yesterday it got worse with a 5-0 loss away at Bristol City, for a seemingly attack minded Addicks this could be a perfect opportunity to face this particular opposition. But who are the Argyle key men… Special mention has to begin with Graham Carey and Plymouth should be extremely pleased having managed to tie down their top scorer from last season and key midfielder on a new Contract in the summer (sounds familiar doesn’t it?).

Charlton Team News
You have to admit that our victory against Exeter must have given Karl Robinson food for foot in terms of his starting line-up this Saturday… Billy Clarke certainly appears certain to be the type of player who’ll do a lot of work that’ll see him left u-noticed and unrewarded this season yet his start will have made it difficult for Ben Reeves to walk into the team… Of course with Josh Magennis still potentially out, we could see Clarke starting up front in place of an uninspiring: Tony Watt.

After a clean-sheet though against Bristol Rovers and the team playing so well with just 10-men its almost impossible to see wholesale changes and injuries apart it’ll be a surprise to see any names dropped from the starting line-up.

Amos
Solly | Bauer | Pearce | Dasilva
Kashi | Forster-Caskey
Holmes | Reeves | Fosu
Clarke

Substitutes Bench: Phillips | Sarr | Dijksteel | Jackson | Magennis | Ahearne-Grant | Watt

Prediction
Confidence must be high within the Charlton ranks and with a lack of defeats since early April its understandable, when we won the Division with Chris Powell many fans were waiting for the first points to be dropped and for myself the feeling is still the same, a draw wouldn’t be a surprise with Plymouth surely desperate to get off the mark yet an Addicks victory just maybe, maybe see the beginning of something… Long way to go after all.

Comments

• Charlton to win 2.1
    Even the most pessimistic fans will start believing.
    COYR
  • Comfortable away win 4-0.
  • I'd play KAG up front with Clarke in behind. RHF on the bench
  • You're camping? Unlucky.
  • Being a boycotter I have not seen us play but if reports are to be believed we should win against a team who are still finding their feet in league one.

1-2 COYR
  • edited August 2017
    You have a typo up there ForeverAddickted "food for foot".

cabbles wrote that for you didn't he :smile:
  • Not sure Watt deserves to be on the bench.

What about the chap who Henry goes on about? Fairchuff or something?
  • Sponsored links:

• Is this sold out?
  • 5-3 Charlton, Bauer to get sent off
  • No Konsa, not even on the bench? Did he pick up a knock, or do we think he could be sold any day now?
  • 1-2 to KR's what ever colour army.
  • Got a good feeling about this 1-2 Addicks, however with Novak suspended and Mag potentially still out, Watt seems disinterested, Clarke is likely to play upfront as the target man, if he were to get injured who can we bring off the bench to play that position?

I guess your refering to the lovely rain over the South East at the moment? - If so your out of luck have lovely sunshine down Cornwall :)

You have a typo up there ForeverAddickted "food for foot".

cabbles wrote that for you didn't he :smile:

Blaming a combination of my wifes rubbish laptop and the terrible internet connection so wont be correcting lol!
  • Got a good feeling about this 1-2 Addicks, however with Novak suspended and Mag potentially still out, Watt seems disinterested, Clarke is likely to play upfront as the target man, if he were to get injured who can we bring off the bench to play that position?

There is 1 chap, Henry speaks fondly of him. Fairclough I think?
  • Is this sold out?

It has for Plymouth fans
  • Sponsored links:

I guess your refering to the lovely rain over the South East at the moment? - If so your out of luck have lovely sunshine down Cornwall :)

I was indeed. I pictured the tent floating away whilst you were ankle deep in muddy water. Enjoy the sun!
  • If there is no big Mag then I think this game will depend as much on how Plymouth cope with not facing a team which doesn't have a dedicated striker but should be a fluid attack of four. I'm fairly sure that Argyle will play two big chunks in the centre of the defence who might not really have anyone to mark. If Charlton can pull them out of position enough it could be interesting to see the likes of Holmes and Fosu exploiting the space. We really do need to finish the game with eleven men.
  • Would hope to see Charles Cook rewarded for his cup exploits with a place on the bench.

3-1 Charlton.
  • edited August 2017
    1-3 Charlton

Quite fancy going to this but unfortunately cannot - could be a good day.
  • Ryan Taylor out for the Pilgrims (broken ankle), by the sounds of it this leaves them very light up top.
  • 0-2 to the Addicks!
  • Ryan Taylor out for the Pilgrims (broken ankle), by the sounds of it this leaves them very light up top.

I hope he makes a speedy recovery.

Glad he's out for this game though: )
  • Clarke played quite well as a "false 9" on Saturday

No striker, lack of height, we're becoming like the Spain team that won Euro 2012 :smile:
  • edited August 2017
    2-0 Charlton.
    Fosu to get a well deserved goal and Holmes to score a banger!

I'm looking forward to some attacking flair and good overall football.

I know he is not well received on here but I would also like Watt to come on do some of things he is capable of! If he doesn't impress by January he will be off then imo.

Quick Addition: Hoping Reeves starts aswell but would be surprised if he did after playing Tuesday.